Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Where's the best place for it?

I've put a load of items on the regional board

Facebook market place

Couple of FB selling groups

It may just be I was expecting it to go far quicker than in reality

I don't have an Ebay account but presumably that's the next stage

Just desperate to get rid as all piled in the spare room atm and I'm giving up horses

There's just under 50 items available

chaps89

Visit site
I sold about £1k worth of horse stuff last summer (that did include a saddle and some clippers though!) It all went via word of mouth, FB marketplace and preloved so I paid nothing in advertising fees.
If you want rid you could sell it as a job lot on one of the job lot pages?
I found making sure the items were clean and had good photos helped.

teddypops

Visit site
I put stuff into job lots and sell on local horse Facebook groups. eBay charges too much these days and it’s a nightmare selling stuff individually as people don’t turn up and don’t bother to let you know.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I shift most stuff on ebay, i prefer to sell on FB because of the cut ebay takes but the audience is much greater on ebay.
do you know anyone who would sell it for you? i did this for a friend once.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I waited until I received an email from eBay offering me a weekend of free of selling charges listings. I sold a load of stuff that way. Mostly good quality brands, but lots of photos, detailed descriptions, and I started all listings at £0.01 + reasonable P&P. There was loads of bidding (7 day) and tbh almost all the lots went for more than I would have listed them as fixed price items, so I was really pleased - especially as there were no selling fees. ?

Maddie Moo

Visit site
I’ve got stuff on Facebook marketplace, local horse group pages and PreLoved and so far I’ve only sold a grooming kit :rolleyes:

I was hoping I might have sold my show jackets by now, especially as one was only worn once for a BHS exam!

pistolpete

Visit site
We have a local tack/feed shop that takes 10%. I’ve sold £££ through them. Plus you don’t have to deal with people haggling!

Fjord

Visit site
I'm finding the same. I hate it when people tell you they want it then either don't turn up or never contact you again. I've sold most of the bigger things but I've still got a nylon harness to go and it's taking up so much room!

pistolpete

Visit site
I'm finding the same. I hate it when people tell you they want it then either don't turn up or never contact you again. I've sold most of the bigger things but I've still got a nylon harness to go and it's taking up so much room!
Dragon driving?

katastrophykat

Visit site

Harnesses are very brand specific, Zilco, tedman and tedex generally sell on well, and top mark, libbies and plans are less known but decent…. If it’s none of the above it’ll struggle to go, usually.

for general tack, I put branded items in decent condition on EBay, and ones that aren’t go to local table top tack or car boot sales ??

Ceifer

Visit site
Hijacking the thread slightly sorry.
I’ve got some horsey & none horsey stuff to sell with individual items worth £200+ second hand. I used to use Facebook marketplace and insist on pick up/ meeting somewhere as we used to live close to a big town and things used to shift easily. We’ve moved to a rural location and I really can’t see anyone coming my way now.
I keep reading horror stories of people selling on eBay or privately using PayPal as a payment method and buyers claiming things haven’t arrived/aren’t as described and claiming a refund. Is this common? Do these platforms favour the buyers? Is there a safe way to sell?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Thank you for all your suggestions - I'm looking to get a table at a local tack sale but want to check they don't take a cut of my profits first

I'm getting a few things gone on FB, the biggest seller seems to be my hi viz, which given the extortionate cost new is perhaps why - good idea to make up sets, one of what has potentially just gone is a bundle of small hi viz items

I'm surprised I'm struggling with rugs, I've not got his back yet, but the spares I have are in great condition, yet no interest. Also multiple bits, bandages etc. No interest. Thought they aren't "matchy" bandages...

I'm keeping my saddle pads for sentiment, though have some decent brands so maybe they would have gone.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Where's the best place for it?

I've put a load of items on the regional board

Facebook market place

Couple of FB selling groups

It may just be I was expecting it to go far quicker than in reality

I don't have an Ebay account but presumably that's the next stage

Just desperate to get rid as all piled in the spare room atm and I'm giving up horses

There's just under 50 items available
Have you thought of doing a live feed like lots are doing.

Kaylum

Visit site
Thank you for all your suggestions - I'm looking to get a table at a local tack sale but want to check they don't take a cut of my profits first

I'm getting a few things gone on FB, the biggest seller seems to be my hi viz, which given the extortionate cost new is perhaps why - good idea to make up sets, one of what has potentially just gone is a bundle of small hi viz items

I'm surprised I'm struggling with rugs, I've not got his back yet, but the spares I have are in great condition, yet no interest. Also multiple bits, bandages etc. No interest. Thought they aren't "matchy" bandages...

I'm keeping my saddle pads for sentiment, though have some decent brands so maybe they would have gone.
Having run loads of table top sales you should just pay for a table.

Getting people to buy is often difficult so if sellers advertise it as well it will help.

Don't take rubbish or expect a good price for it. Rugs and clothing sell well be prepared to haggle. Dealers go round first and will be wanting to know what you have.

Take plenty of change.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My sister put a saddle on market place for me last week as I don't do Facebook I sold it the following day, best easiest sale ever turned up gave me cash done in 10 minutes so I would definitely do that again.

teddypops

Visit site
I’ve got some horsey & none horsey stuff to sell with individual items worth £200+ second hand. I used to use Facebook marketplace and insist on pick up/ meeting somewhere as we used to live close to a big town and things used to shift easily. We’ve moved to a rural location and I really can’t see anyone coming my way now.
I keep reading horror stories of people selling on eBay or privately using PayPal as a payment method and buyers claiming things haven’t arrived/aren’t as described and claiming a refund. Is this common? Do these platforms favour the buyers? Is there a safe way to sell?
If you post with a signed for service, they can’t claim that it hasn’t arrived when it has.

Fjord

Visit site
Harnesses are very brand specific, Zilco, tedman and tedex generally sell on well, and top mark, libbies and plans are less known but decent…. If it’s none of the above it’ll struggle to go, usually.
That'll be why, it's a cheap unbranded one. What the hell am I going to do with it?! ?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've been selling a fair bit of horse stuff over the last six months or so. I've sold through fb and ebay but have noticed stuff that would have sold quickly has not sold in the last month. Branded stuff sells well, unbranded I've found not so well unless very, very cheap. I have some show jackets to advertise that I've put off selling (sentimental reasons) and think I'll wait a month or so before advertising the next lot.

Northern Hare

Visit site

Hi Ceifer, with all the items I sold on eBay, I made sure that I purchased all my postage labels for each item via the eBay online postage centre, rather than taking the parcels down to the PO and purchasing the postage over the counter. That way even if you use Royal Mail 1st Class, it will be fully tracked and linked to the item. I personally found it a very joined up process. I estimated how much it would be for P&P and put down what I thought was going to be reasonable and not off putting on the listing, so I generally ended up contributing to the postage costs but equally all the items went for (a lot) more than I was expecting so I still ended up well ahead! ? I sold everything on 7day auction listings starting at £0.01 which seemed to get buyers interested.

I did have a couple of things that didn't go according to plan, but they were easily sorted and if I'm honest if I'd put just a little bit more info (ref the colour) then the misunderstanding could have been avoided. Still it was easily resolved.

I also had quite a few items purchased from overseas bidders, but you just need to cover the UK postage and eBay gives you the address to send to in the UK to their Worldwide dispatch centre, and they handle the rest. Items went to the US, Australia and NZ!

i think I had about 60 lots to sell, and it was quite a lot of work, as there are timescales to keep for dispatching the parcels (sell in batches and website that the items finish at prime time Fri/Sat/Sun evenings), but I got in contact with all my buyers to thank them for their purchase, and to keep them in touch with dispatch dates etc.

It was lovely to receive photos of the items been put into use in their new home - rugs, exercise sheets, saddlecloths, boots etc etc. It was a kind of a nice closure after losing my lovely horse that I'd had the privilege of looking after for 20 years. ??