Shes NOT a thoroughbred!!!!

Springy

Visit site
someone was once trying to impress us with her horses

they were 'warmbloods' one 14.2 and one about 15hh one dun and one spotty I was like hmmm Ive never seen warmblood like that to which she took the huff...

she claimed one was buckskin not dun and they were both half knobstrap!!!! Yes knobstrap!! to which we fell about laughing....... to this day everytime I see or read about a knabstruper I cant help but think about those delightful half knobstrap warmbloods!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cambrica

Visit site
Our big gal 'Peggy' would be over the moon if she was called anything other than "well what on earth is she?"
We tell her she had blue blood somewhere in her ancestry, it works - she's happy !

rhino

Visit site
they were 'warmbloods' one 14.2 and one about 15hh one dun and one spotty I was like hmmm Ive never seen warmblood like that to which she took the huff...

Warmbloods are mixed breed horses and ponies. Some breed societies only recognise certain heights/colours but it is perfectly possible to have either dun (or buckskin) or spotty warmbloods, and of pony size.

Snowysadude

Visit site
My Belgian warmblood is constantly called an Irish Draught, even by judges at shows, people at various yards and even people on here messaging me and asking about his Irish breeding! I don't mind, he has a lot of bone, a big head and used to be very fat too so I can forgive them for thinking he was ID in show condition ;).
Now he looks like a warmblood again people magically notice his brand and ask about him!

P.S. My horse of a lifetime was an ID and I love ID's as a breed! Favorite by a mile.

dominobrown

Visit site

monkeybum13

Visit site
TBH I have better things to worry about.
I did laugh when I got my horses vetted a few years ago, and the vet wrote a letter to the insurance company. I wasn't there but it was the weirdest letter, and they put his breed down as a cob....
This is him...
http://johngracing.thirdlight.com/viewpicture.tlx?containerid=12686524442&pictureid=12686613587
He is 16.3hh TB X WB!! He competes in riding horse classes.

Haha! Gorgeous horse btw.

People always think my horse is a TB and out hunting I have had a few people ask me if I'm qualifying my point to pointer. She's a standardbred and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

dominobrown

Visit site
Haha! Gorgeous horse btw.

People always think my horse is a TB and out hunting I have had a few people ask me if I'm qualifying my point to pointer. She's a standardbred and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I had a friend who hunted a standardbred as a pointer to qualify it! They looked very similar but the TB was so nutty is didn't go hunting!

Spring Feather

Visit site
TBH I have better things to worry about.
I did laugh when I got my horses vetted a few years ago, and the vet wrote a letter to the insurance company. I wasn't there but it was the weirdest letter, and they put his breed down as a cob....
This is him...
http://johngracing.thirdlight.com/viewpicture.tlx?containerid=12686524442&pictureid=12686613587
He is 16.3hh TB X WB!! He competes in riding horse classes.

I'm sorry for laughing but that is hilarious! Lovely horse :)

Doublethyme

Visit site
Doesn't bother me. My pink papered Hano has been called a TB, she looked like one ,as a baby and mum was a full TB anyway.

Was a little surprised when someone asked if she is a Friesian......she was looking rather errm well from the summer grass so I was more embarrassed than offended.

Personally going on the thickness and growth rate of her mane, I call her my overgrown dartmoor!

ribbons

Visit site
Actually the thoroughbred is not pure bred either. Same as the warmblood it has mixed ancestry, some of which will be chunky hardy working horses.
Might be further back than the WB but it's still there.

FionaM12

Visit site
I'm quite baffled by the OP's indignation. :confused:

I also don't understand when people are offended by questions non-horsey folk ask. They're not being offensive, they just genuinely don't know and are asking to be polite or are interested. :confused: So what if someone asks if you race your horses or even shetlands? It's hardly insulting.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I used to get asked with my old TB what he was crossed with "Is he part Irish Draught?" or "Is he part Cleveland Bay?". I used to love telling them that actually he was a full TB and was a reasonably good ex-chaser. Can't blame them for thinking he was a cross with something though - he was built like a brick 5h!thouse and had bone that would put most heavier breeds to shame! I used to like any opportunity to tell people about him anyway, so was never insulted. :)

Irishcobs

Visit site
A lot of people call my mares geldings and my gelding a mare (he is very pretty). I do get asked if my Irish cobs (one trad, one show, both coloured, both under 16hh) are shires :rolleyes:
I've only ever met one person who guessed the Belgian Beasts breeding.

When I worked at a point to point yard we had a very well bred French TB who looked part bred ID. She was a butch girl :p