Shocked at H+H advice not to wear too much hi-viz

Natch

Visit site
Feature is subtitled 'Mollycoddling', title is 'Are we becoming a nation of pansies?' and the sub finishes '... and explains how to avoid joining the pansy ranks.'

Hey guys lets face it if your a pony patting, happy hacker who wears hi viz you just don't fit into the upper ranks of H+H

Dear forum members

The article in question appears in the 17 May issue and is not available to read online. It is part of an excellent magazine that features brilliant photographs and reports from The Queen's Diamond Jubilee pageant, Royal Windsor Horse Show, a fascinating vet piece on new ways to treat joint problems, and this feature that so many of you are commenting on, despite most not having read it.

If you had read it I am sure that you would agree that the feature is full of sound advice from experts who see far too many horses swaddled in excessive rugs in warm weather and so on. It also advocates safe hacking, though queries (in one half of a sentence only) if there is a point at which high-viz kit becomes over the top. Clearly many of you disagree with this point, but it always good to encourage debate on these matters, which in turn helps educate more individuals.

For those of you who have not seen the magazine please do grab yourself a copy of the issue and read this entertaining and thought provoking piece in full, rather than lambasting it unseen. If you would like to comment further than do send us a submission for our letters page at hhletters@ipcmedia.com

Regards, Lucy Higginson

Lucy,

Have you not listened to your forum members? Those of us who have read the article in full say the rest of it is good.

Really, I enjoy the magazine's approach to most things, but the article DOES incinuate that you are a pansy if you wear more than a tabbard. Quite what chance the non-pansy half ton horse or any oncoming vehicles have if the rider parts company with it, one can only hope never to find out.

Really I am disappointed that the H&H editors saw fit to leave the comment in. H&H should be working towards removing the stigma of high viz, not encouraging it.

Shame on you.

Ladydragon

Visit site
I had L-plates for mine when he was very young. I tied one to his tail and the other hung from the neckstrap.
Certainly raised a smile with most drivers.

Same reaction here... I'm all for putting a smile on faces, even the miserable ones chuckle at the boy plodding along with his L plates on display... :D

What an excellent idea Ladydragon, I am going to be taking my youngster out and there are only busy roads outside my gate, L plates are a much better idea than wording, gets the point across simply & effectively. Nice one.

I got the flexi magnetic ones... Punched a hole in the top corners tied two lengths of string and attach those to his D rings (I walk him out with a saddle on) with a large paper clip tied on the end of the string... They're soft enough to bend/pull free if he gets loose and catches on something... Although after reading Sue's post I'll have a think to get one on his back end too... The L's on the high viz tabard were done at a work wear type online shop where you could have personalisation inexpensively...

When he's been riding out for a bit we'll upgrade to P plates... :D

TGM

Visit site
Plus to the person who commented about not being able to see the horse once you've been tipped off it - if there are any motorists who would miss half a ton of wild beast galloping about with it's reins trailing, they'd probably miss you whatever you were wearing ;)

Horses and motorists do get injured and killed in this kind of situation:

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2011/01/10/bolting-horse-killed-on-road-near-whitchurch/

A loose horse will not necessarily be galloping in clear light in the middle of a wide road - it could be about to emerge from an adjoining bridlepath, woodland, field etc., and not easily spotted by passing motorists.

fburton

Visit site
Nope, not ridicule. I say it as I see it.

I pass one rider who wears an orange hi viz coat, with added yellow armbands. She has the same orange cover on her hat with a yellow band.

She has rein things and leg straps on the horse.

When driving towards her, her face looks like a rabbit caught in headlights :eek:.

A girl on our yard is similarly togged up (not so much on her, more on the horse) and she admits to being scared witless of hacking out.
They are the only 2 riders I pass who are done up 'like Christmas trees' :D.

Maybe 2 riders isn't really enough to pass judgment but I have anyway :D
Sorry, what is your judgement? You've only given us the facts.

fburton

Visit site
I think people are absolutely deluded if they think a bit of hi viz on their horse is going to prevent an accident. If having it on lulls riders into a false sense of security, then more fool them.
As I said before (and will say again :rolleyes:), risk assess at all times :)
Do you think people are absolutely deluded if they think hi viz is going to reduce the chances of an accident? What is the rationale of the mounted police for wearing as much as they do?

MissMistletoe

Visit site
Quirky, I'd rather be called deluded than be dead and have a dead horse and potentially injured people in the vehicle who hit us because I couldnt be *rsed to put on a hi viz tabard.

rockysmum

Visit site
Plus to the person who commented about not being able to see the horse once you've been tipped off it - if there are any motorists who would miss half a ton of wild beast galloping about with it's reins trailing, they'd probably miss you whatever you were wearing ;)

So why do so many fail to see horses who are walking quietly along roads.

I personally would prefer to see the horses with loads of Hi Viz, thats the drivers eye level, not a tabbard on top of a 17hh horse.

That said I never use the stuff :p

But then I dont ride on the roads :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I personally would prefer to see the horses with loads of Hi Viz, thats the drivers eye level, not a tabbard on top of a 17hh horse.

I almost never wear hi vis... The pony does though - I fear more for him hooning onto a road having ditched me than I am concerned about being found having been ditched :eek:

wellsat

Visit site
I thought it was sensible to put some on you and the horse in case you part company. If your horse is galloping home through the village without you you want drivers to be able to see them.

jaysh

Visit site
Before reading on this thread, i have just bought L plates to go on my young horse, people just dont take notice of the tabbards half the time, but they understand exactly what the L plates mean! I bought some with velcro fastening and i attached the velcro to the tail flap of my fluoresecent mesh quarter sheet and attached another L plate to the fluoresecent chest attachment. I also have a tabbard saying CAUTION, YOUNG HORSE IN TRAINING, PLEASE SLOW DOWN. hopefuly that lot should do the trick!

PandorasJar

Visit site
Thank you Lucy Higginson, you've just lost yourself another ready with that attitude. People don't need to buy the mag as the article has been quoted and explained well enough I'm here and you're STILL saying you agree with the article despite the protests off many of your loyal readers . Just shows that you couldn't give a fig about your readers opinions.

+1

Very defensive response, Lucy.
Most are in agreement with the rest of the article, that mollycoddling isn't great, but the hi-viz statement should never have been published.

There is no measure too over the top to make yourself more visible. It isn't just Londoners coping with traffic, I'd say it is even worse in the country. When riding down a single track, 60mph, high hedged lane with blind bends it is essential to be seen if you don't want to end up under a car.

The photo posted earlier on in the thread shows just how much of a difference it makes, on both rider and horse.

Even the BHS advice is
"So if you have to ride out on the road, always wear as much hi-viz clothing on both you and your pony as you can, no matter what time of day, what time of year and regardless of what the weather is doing"
BHS link

Wonder what they'd think of H+H's opposing advice?
Pan

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I absolutely cannot believe the official response to this thread from Lucy! I've got the magazine and read the article and since seeing your response on here have decided I shall cancel my subscription.

Your attitude is disgraceful and in my opinion borders on negligent. How many fashion conscious teenagers will read that article as gospel and not bother wearing any hi viz because "Horse and Hound magazine says we don't need to". You should be ashamed*of yourselves!

bumper

Visit site
I concur bikerchickone.

Lucy, your reply not only affirms your belief that your journalist was correct in her comments, but actually is rather patronising. You assume most of us have not read the article in question, which is probably wrong. I have.

I have lost count of the many people whose comments I would like to quote here, but I would like to highlight PandorasJar quoting the BHS advice.

A high viz vest is not "prudent". ONLY a high viz vest is basic safety, and one which should be encouraged.

The article in question is excellent in many ways: I do very much agree that there is a propensity of over-rugging and over-feeding..both of them my personal pet hates. However, and this is important, placing hi viz in with those bad habits ..which the journalist highlighted as should be avoided in order to not seem "a pansy", is a HUGE mistake.

I would like to see an apology, and also an article promoting the use of hi viz, in the next issue.

Natch

Visit site
3Plus to the person who commented about not being able to see the horse once you've been tipped off it - if there are any motorists who would miss half a ton of wild beast galloping about with it's reins trailing, they'd probably miss you whatever you were wearing ;)

Er, not stalking you or anything but it was me wot said that :D I do think this comment is a bit short sighted. If everyone is in general agreement that a tabbard is a good idea, when riding and hopefully controlling your horse's actions in traffic, why on earth isn't it a good idea for the out of control horse to be as visible as a beacon? Lots of people who keep ponies in the new forest think so, hence they wear reflective neck thingumies. I can think of several places on my local hacks that a) are shady even in sunlight and I have struggled to see horse riders on, b) X roads and T junctions that if your horse was riderless emerging from there, I would like them to be noticed by the oncoming driver NOW not a fraction or a second or longer later. :cool:

But then I dont ride on the roads :D

Even off road, high viz on rider AND horse helps recovery of both if a search party needs to be sent out. Again, if I fell off in the forest and was kocked unconscious I'd rather be seen easier, and if I fell of but couldn't find my horse before dark, I'd rather he had reflective gear on, because he could easily wander out on to a fast road. I've known horses break out of fields in the dark (vandal smart native ponies!) and be found due to torches shining on the small reflective badges on their rugs.

lannerch

Visit site
Hard evidence fburton my male neighbours can be very cruel!
But no I do not care and they certainly do not either.
Intersetingly on my way home tonight I passed a horse with no high viz whatsoever , I did notice them way off, hence did slow down and did receive a gracious thank you :)
Not advocating no high viz though but will be sticking with just my tabbard and no jess I do not live in the middle of nowhere in Wales!

rockysmum

Visit site
Even off road, high viz on rider AND horse helps recovery of both if a search party needs to be sent out. Again, if I fell off in the forest and was kocked unconscious I'd rather be seen easier, and if I fell of but couldn't find my horse before dark, I'd rather he had reflective gear on, because he could easily wander out on to a fast road. I've known horses break out of fields in the dark (vandal smart native ponies!) and be found due to torches shining on the small reflective badges on their rugs.

Actually I agree with you.

However me and the oldies only ever go round the farm, up the track, round the two huge fields and down the other track. Only place the horses could go is back to the yard and I think a search party would find me within a few minutes :):D

See old age and lack of motivation have some benefits :eek:

lannerch

Visit site
Forgot to put before for those who use l signs for young horses be careful for if something was to happen (heaven forbid ) it may like the wording caution young horse be seen blame wise as an admission of lack of control,

Queenbee

Visit site
Well quirky you wear a tabbard, this is not however the best you can do to keep your HORSE visible, but hey, when u fall of and it bolts and gets nailed by a car and it's lying there all broken and stuff, you can just go an buy a brand new shiny horse and wear just protective gear on your important self again.

Really! You have to wait till something brakes to see potential errors in its design?!
I'm not saying wearing a tabbard isn't good, but IMO it isn't good enough, and please not insult people by implying that the more hi vis you wear, the less you use your common sense to risk assess?! I would have thought the opposite was true, if you are smart enough to see potential risks by not be decking your horse, you are smart enough to continue this risk assessment to situation and environment, indeed the obvious conclusion is that people who are as some would describe 'over safety conscious to the point of looking like Xmas trees' are probably the most responsible of us all. As I said I wear hi vis boots on horse, tabbard and in winter sometimes an exercise sheet, although having read the reasoning behind hi vis gloves, it seems a very smart idea, obvious really. And IMO, if you boot your horse up anyway/ride in gloves/use exercise sheets when clipped in winter, why not buy hi vis ones? Where the hell is the harm other than to someone's vanity?!! And if someone cares more about how they look and other peoples potential opinions than the safety of their horse, that is such a shame :(

If I had kids I'd certainly be dipping them and their ponies in luminous paint and covering them with fairy lights!! :D

bumper

Visit site
But nothing will happen will it lanerch ? Because everyone will have done a risk assessment ! Pmsl

Hilarious!!! Pmsl!

And we are also all psychic. We can "feel" in advance that a low flying plane will arrive...or someone will decide it's a good day to cut their hedgerow/put scaffolding up/decide to change "bin" day (that's just happened here with no warning)/get involved in a three car pile up necessitating an air ambulance arrive right next to the track you are hacking on. I'll check my crystal ball then shall I?

lannerch, really?

Last edited: