Shocked by this from WFP

tristar

Visit site
PaddyMonty, those riders died despite having the best of everything, my sympathies are with their families, and i did know a lady who died whilst schooling a horse sadly.

the queen may ride without a hat, but i wish she would wear one, maybe she has`never seen the diamante studded ones that vaguely resemble a tiara!

i think its great that Carl and Charlotte set the example, the judges did`nt think they looked like pillocks when they won gold, they had the brains to change comp dressage and the brains to wear decent headgear.

i must say i`ve always thought wfp`s topper is too dickensian or should i say scrooge like, it does`nt add to the overall picture, he could look `plus chic` in other headgear if he tried perhaps, as he is already tall, slim and elegant.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I object to a highly risk-averse subset trying to impose their rationale on those who take a more muscular view on the relative risks involved in a voluntary sport. If you are worried about your ability to remain on top of a horse then by all means wear whatever you choose, but please don't attempt to graft your views on those who do not share your opinions. Probably the majority of riders worlwide do not consider a safety helmet necessary, that is their decision and I feel that they should be allowed to make it.

Of course they should ,look after yourself make choices for yourself but frankly I don't what to live my life encased I safety gear every time I handle a horse .
I make my own decisions.
My bug bear is gloves I was trained always to wear gloves and always do I wear leather gloves to clip , to turn out etc .
But I have no desire to inflict my choices on others .
In life we take choices and I hate the section of the horse world that seeks in a passive aggressive way to impose hi viz hats etc etc on others .
I actually don't like top hats I think they are look pretty silly but if they are within the rules that's that it's wfp's choice to wear one .

Annagain

Visit site
Choosing not to wear a crash hat is one thing, berating others for doing so is another entirely. The sooner they make it compulsory, the better. It's the only way people will take safety in dressage seriously.

It amazes me that people can have such a blasé attitude towards their heads. Even after bad experiences, they seem to have this "It won't happen to me (again)" attitude.

My cousin was knocked off his bike by a lorry on his way to work in London and was badly injured. His helmet pretty much saved his life, but even with it his face was mangled as he hit the road face first. His neighbour happened to see it, stayed with him until the ambulance arrived and put his bike in the back of his car and took it home for him. The next day my cousin's wife was on her way to hospital to visit him and the neighbour was on his way out on his bike, with no helmet or hi-viz!

I'm surprised that nobody has designed a safety top hat yet. The harness would look a bit odd, but with all the design expertise and materials available these days you'd think it would be doable - if you can get transparent bra straps I'm sure you could have a transparent harness.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I object to a highly risk-averse subset trying to impose their rationale on those who take a more muscular view on the relative risks involved in a voluntary sport. If you are worried about your ability to remain on top of a horse then by all means wear whatever you choose, but please don't attempt to graft your views on those who do not share your opinions. Probably the majority of riders worlwide do not consider a safety helmet necessary, that is their decision and I feel that they should be allowed to make it.

I agree.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

chased by bees

Visit site

This^^^ 100%

tristar

Visit site
why wait till there are statistics to wear safety headgear at fei level?

i don`t think its imposing views on anyone, its more about caring what happens to other people, and having the courage to say something, just put out there a thought an idea.

try visiting a e depts, ive seen fingers lost, arms broken, thumbs lost, ever thought how you could do anything without a thumb.? gloves can save you from life changing injury.

i

smja

Visit site

This.

I chose to wear a top hat last time it was an option, because I wanted to and because I know my horse. Sis was carrying my 'proper' hat, so if horse felt a bit fragile or if I felt unsafe I could change. I would do it again in a heartbeat, because I felt great in it and really proud of what we'd achieved.

We should be educating people on how to make their own risk assessments rather than creating more blanket legislation.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Fwiw I think you can think and do what you like within the rules. Just not suggest that wearing a crash hat will make you look like a pillock when you are an international eventing idol who recently recovered from a head injury :p.

have to agree with this. It hasn't come across as the brightest comment given his recent past.

Personally I'd feel a bit sad if top hats were 'outlawed', like others I loved having the opportunity to wear one eventing and I'd do so again *on the right horse* (blooming well hope I get to the level where it would be an option in dressage), though I recognise that it's a bit of a strange thing to feel happy about.

That said I do support the rise in acceptance of crash hats in dressage, it's a good development and I think it sets a good example - plus it's amazing how fast your eye adjusts. Crash hats & tails look pretty normal these days IMO. I like the fact that people can choose either way.

Annagain

Visit site
We should be educating people on how to make their own risk assessments rather than creating more blanket legislation.

Every time you get on a horse there's a risk you could fall off. On some horses and with some activities the risk is greater but any risk is enough to warrant a hat IMO.

On Sunday I went out for a hack with my friend's daughter - friend was leading her on her new pony so wanted company for the first ride. I knew I would only be walking for 20 minutes, my horse is the best horse I've ever known out hacking. Nothing bothers him. If I wasn't the sort to wear a hat every time, it could easily have been one of the times I didn't. My poor boy (probably not used to having to walk so slowly so the pony could keep up) managed to trip over his own feet and went right down on his knees. He skinned them and left two patches of white hair on the road but wasn't badly hurt, thankfully. Luckily, I managed not to fall off (mainly as he didn't panic, bless him, just scrambled back up looking a bit confused) but it goes to show that even on the most reliable of horses in the most mundane of circumstances anything can happen.

ester

Visit site
I hate doing risk assessments :p.

and at a competition that is someone's job, what you do in your own time, on your own land is fine. I would imagine few of us do get the choice though, most livery yards insist on riding with a hat if you want to stay :p.

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
How is wearing a piece of sporting safety equipment going to make you look daft? It's the Downton Abbey fancy dress top hat as part of a sport that looks ridiculous.

The sooner equestrian-wear comes into the modern age, the better. No wonder the public think we're all snobs.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
You'll damn sure look like a "pillock" when some naive child smashes their head in because they didn't want to look uncool with a helmet on. Careless comment, gone down in my estimations. Do what you want, but that comment WILL influence others.

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Personally I would like to get rid of the jackets too (ducks quickly :)) at the Olympics and see the riders wear smart sports tops which make the sport look fun and more athletic, and more appealing to everyone, and not so elitist. I know this would be totally unacceptable to many people and its probably a step too far at the moment.

Yes, this entirely! I find the jackets really embarrassing, like why am I meant to dress up in a suit for a sport?! But then I hate traditions, so... I understand other people get attached to this sort of thing. It just seems really outdated and pointless to me.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Do you really need statistics to work out that a crash hat is safer than a top hat??

But yuk to the sports jackets. I like tradition if it's safe.

And again, I don't think WFP was intending no to call anyone else a pillock, it was rather like myself and mini skirts. I don't think other women in general look bad in miniskirts, but I know I do! However it wasn't the brightest thing to say to a journalist while you're not even quite fully recovered from a massive head injury!

fburton

Visit site
For me, (an admittedly small) part of what makes being and working with horses enjoyable is the danger aspect. So I wouldn't want horses to be made 100% safe, even if that were possible, which it isn't.

I still wear a crash hat when riding though. Being able to pursue my line of work, and my quality of life generally, is critically dependent on avoiding head injury. To be frank, if I felt my enjoyment of life was suffering as a result of wearing a crash hat, I would still think twice about not doing so because of the inevitable effect of head injury on other people I care about and who care about me. My choice; other people's priorities can and do differ.

ester

Visit site
Do you really need statistics to work out that a crash hat is safer than a top hat??

But yuk to the sports jackets. I like tradition if it's safe.

And again, I don't think WFP was intending no to call anyone else a pillock, it was rather like myself and mini skirts. I don't think other women in general look bad in miniskirts, but I know I do! However it wasn't the brightest thing to say to a journalist while you're not even quite fully recovered from a massive head injury!

No I agree, but even suggesting he looks a pillock/thinks he looks like a pillock in one has ramifications. I do find it a bit odd that the dressagers who are no more likely to fall off in a test, potentially less as at least their horses aren't fit enough to do XC the next day, have embraced the hard hat but not the eventers.

tristar

Visit site
my stallion works now in such a way that he responds to the slightest movement on my part, not long ago i must have mis judged when i thought i used the right weight aid, he went one way i went the other and fell off, much to his disgust i might add, horses highly trained are very easy to fall off because they react so quickly, and when warmed up are very switched on and dynamic in their way of going, so i understand completely why dressage riders need to wear a proper hat.

he does`nt do xc but the vet remarked one day how fit he is, a truly trained horse is very fit.

ester

Visit site
I was more thinking of the ones that know they will get to do the fun bit tomorrow, so can be on edge in a slightly different way to pure dressage horse that knows this is as fun as it gets.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I was more thinking of the ones that know they will get to do the fun bit tomorrow, so can be on edge in a slightly different way to pure dressage horse that knows this is as fun as it gets.

Still wouldn't want to ride, say, Nip Tuck, without a proper hat, hehe

tristar

Visit site
i was thinking that, exactly, it can`t be easy to dressage a horse ready go cci the next day, especially as they are so clever and anticipate i.

ester

Visit site
Still wouldn't want to ride, say, Nip Tuck, without a proper hat, hehe

I wouldn't want to ride any of them without a hat but then I am neither william or carl! Just find the disparity interesting and wonder if it is because eventing is more traditional as mentioned earlier, or that because of what else they have to do dressage seems the safe bit.

Annagain

Visit site
No I agree, but even suggesting he looks a pillock/thinks he looks like a pillock in one has ramifications. I do find it a bit odd that the dressagers who are no more likely to fall off in a test, potentially less as at least their horses aren't fit enough to do XC the next day, have embraced the hard hat but not the eventers.

Could it be that the eventers see the dressage as the lowest risk phase and are therefore blasé about it as opposed to the jumping phases, whereas dressage riders don't perceive degrees of risk because it's all they do? Or maybe it's that event riders believe that because they sit dodgy moments XC at a higher speed when the horse it also at its limits etc they can sit a spook in the dressage? I don't agree, just trying to work out why!

ETA - it's also never occurred to me what any rider is wearing hat-wise, whereas I really notice and hate Paul Tapner's red get-up XC. Until this thread I'd never really paid attention to what WFP had on his head so no head gear can look that out of place!

Last edited:

Nasicus

Visit site
I'm pretty sure if they banned Top Hats, there would swiftly be a model on the market which incorporates a tall top hat and a helmet. I can see they've already got a version out for the smaller hats.

Careless of William to say what he said, considering how impressionable kids are, and how their risk judgement is not quite fully developed yet. But I suppose, not my brain, not my problem. I've fallen on my head enough times over the years to know the value of a helmet.

claude rains

New User
Visit site
As someone who has lived through the consequence of a brain injury to a loved one (through no fault of their own I might add), one that meant they had to re-learn everything, walking, talking etc etc following months in a coma not wearing a hat is a no-brainer. Why would you risk it? and yes I do know someone who was knocked out riding a dressage test-horse tripped.

dominobrown

Visit site
Also thinks WFP always looks a bit odd in a top hat too... not the only one it seems!

As for the freedom of choice factor its a hard one. Yes he would be safer in a proper hat, I don't think anyone can question that. He would also be safer if he wasn't on the horse...

Also as for the NHS, I wonder what a hospital would look like if you kicked out all the self inflicted people... all the smokers, druggies, people who eat rubbish diets, do dangerous sports, do no exercise and then do stupid things etc. Basically most of us are pillocks and need to be 'fixed' at some point.

At the end of day no matter what you do entails risk, how you manage that risk is up to you essentially. We can put laws and rules in but it is still up the rider how that risk is managed.

darkbay19

Visit site
At the end of the day we ride a living animal above ground level, that has eyes, ears and a brain. We do not speak horse and therefore cannot predict what our horses are going to do. The safest of horses can spook, and just because your horse is at Olympic level doesn't mean that your isn't capable of bucking, rearing, bolting or spooking. And falling from a height onto a hard surface does hurt. You could fall of any time and you don't know if your going to land on your bum or headfirst on the ground. There's a high risk of injury so why not try to prevent this. I have suffered a head injury myself and don't feel comfortable wearing a hat without a chin strap in dressage. I ended up with a piece of rubber wedged into my eye schooling a dressage horse which could have easily been another head injury.
As for WFP saying he looks ridlicious in a crash hat does that mean your team mates do as well? I've always thought he looks ridlicouls in his top hat anyway it's so long and makes him look very old fashioned which doesn't help the whole equestrian image of thinking we are all a bunch of stuck up snobs. It's his choice if he wants to wear a hat, but being a role model to so many people I'm not impressed with his choice of words.