Should have been going to camp weekend plans

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Half day of work today because I worked last weekend, so managed to fit a hack in. Was very windy, but Henry managed to put his big boy panties on and was actually very well behaved! Hoping to hack again tomorrow, but will have to see how the weather is. Have a dressage lesson on Sunday, which I feel is pretty desperately needed ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reacher

Visit site
Weather here is utterly vile (nothing new) with 40mph wind and rain. Havent ridden since wednesday due to the weather / no arena. Horses have been "in" for last couple of days (in = they each have stable with access to half of the yard - weather has been so foul Mr H barely set foot outside his stable).
I put out Mr H out into paddock for a couple hours this morning before the wind got back up - he is currently in his man shed with hay - so defeats the object of stretching his legs, though at least in his absence Retired Mare can have the whole yard to stretch her legs in. (Retired Mare would be appalled if I turned her out into the quagmire). I will fetch him back in to civilisation shortly.

What is exciting is roofers will soon be coming to hopefully fix once and for all the leak that has plagued us for years - scaffolding went up the other day. It will feel so luxurious not to have to wonder if we will get water running down bedroom wall every time there is a winter storm.

I thought I would get some work related computer number crunching running over the weekend - stupid thing has fallen over and I don't know why. That is why I am currently prostrate on the settee with an instant cappuccino and biscuits on here typing this.

Have a good weekend everyone - am jealous of those of you with indoor arenas!

j1ffy

Visit site
Great lesson this morning - despite barely being in the arena due to weather, Danny was mega. Very focused and willing to work. We started with half-steps for the first time, which gave the trot more cadence and throughness. Worked on HP in trot and canter, and did some very grown-up feeling medium trot. I can’t wait for competitions to start again!

Then I walked baby Chilli up the road. He’s not been out of the field since he was trimmed six weeks ago but was such a good boy. He was a bit worried about what we were doing but didn’t react to cars and stayed with me when horses in the top field came galloping over to say hello. We did all of 15 minutes and he was pretty mentally tired by it! Lovely boy.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Weather stayed dry but breezy (and the sun even made a fleeting appearance!) so got out hacking again. First “long” hack in a good while too, and the first time I’ve done this whole loop. Was very nice and will do it again. Potential for even more canter now I know the ground is good:)

Think I need to start a count of the wildlife we see on our hacks, today’s highlights were a herd of deer, 2 buzzards, a barn owl and a fox (Obviously all required much gawping from his lordship but such is life with him ?)

don’t know how accurate the app is, but looking at it, seems pretty true to how it went!
00383CFC-0D90-416E-B819-62A2D35EFE56.jpeg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Today both horses got hacked - older lad did nearly 2 hrs in company (mainly in walk - but still good to be out) and the rising 4yo did 20 minutes solo on the road - very grown up!

Tomorrow the young'un can do the same again and older lad has a dressage lesson.

Hoping that it's not too long now until we can start getting out and about schooling and training...

Roxylola

Visit site
We've got dreadful cat hairs too MP. I'm holding off clipping til I can hog as well, and I'm not hogging til after Monday. Every time I hog we have a lockdown announced so he can stay scruffy a bit longer.
The trimmers I got last week are fab and re-desensitising work has begun on his legs. We are 3 legs down, one knee to the face and one kicked hand in. The knee and kick genuinely were warning shots - if he meant it I'd not be typing, hes lightning quick when he wants so this is better than it might have been.
We took advantage of rubbish weather to hack up the nature trail for a canter which was nice. One of which was low and across his back as per Tom Beech orders, Charlie is fab but he was always going to find that difficult
Yesterday we did some in hand pole work as well. Mostly me laughing at my rubbish in hand skills and him scowling about it - not because its hard but because its boring and hed much rather be jumping ? we tried a trot at one point, he considered it a race and knobbed off in canter.
Glad to hear there have been some productive and pleasant weekends though in spite of the weather and lockdown. SP I'm sad your share hasn't worked out, there will be a better one out there for you I'm sure

Roxylola

Visit site
Hes a good dude to clip for the most part to be fair, hes just been super defensive over his legs since he had his mallanders flare up. He was never great but I can't blame him they were really sore. When I got the new trimmers he came for a nosey, and was quite happy to have them on while his nose was on them but go near his legs and there are limbs being flung around the place.
Hes blooming fast and handily accurate with them!

racebuddy

Visit site
Mine had a chilled week work been absolutely mental , long reining and lunging week , hes also been treated for poss urine infection ☹️☹️ Worked today so tired ? xx sheath looking bit horrible so another vet visit may be needed ☹️☹️☹️ Happy weekend

Attachments

• C260B01D-3619-4148-8C3A-8186161336FB.jpg
    C260B01D-3619-4148-8C3A-8186161336FB.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 10
  • EEDC4EA1-87D0-46B2-8E69-98AF92903A42.jpeg
    EEDC4EA1-87D0-46B2-8E69-98AF92903A42.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 10
  • BA15658F-523F-492B-95BE-F379BED02B6D.jpeg
    BA15658F-523F-492B-95BE-F379BED02B6D.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 895D5FEB-2C6F-4ED5-A31B-505C14017D5E.jpeg
    895D5FEB-2C6F-4ED5-A31B-505C14017D5E.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 10

Bernster

Visit site
Amazing how a brighter day and a bit of warmth lifts the spirits! Pottered around the yard for hours, it was bliss. Finally filmed the online test after a few false starts with others wanting to use the school (I’d rather just work around them and not cause a fuss) but had a lovely day inc a socially distanced outside coffee and chat with two friends who are at the yard. Really need to work on our test riding which lacks some ooomph, and his walk needs work as he has a tendency to go lateral - he only does it with me in a test environment so def a ridden issue between the two of us. It’s great practice though. I don’t often video myself so its very useful to watch it back.

FourLeafClover

Visit site
Had a very very busy day at work, but did manage to get out for a 25 minute walk/trot before it got dark. It was such a bright day, I got back at 5:45 and was just about ok for light! ??
Hoping to go for a long hack tomorrow round the farm ride (hacking distance, not boxing up). I’m going through a rough patch in my personal life at the moment which is causing a lot of rubbish emotional yuck, trying to keep the horses as the fun bit rather than letting the yuck drag down my time with them too. Easier said than done sometimes *le sigh*

racebuddy

Visit site
Ooh that looks a bit sore RB
Ahh i know hes been on danilon all week and increased dose on thurs , hes lots of melamomas in there hes just had them checked a week ago and they was ok then , blodos all ok when ran in the week just routine as older now , may have to have another check with vets this week before deciding on antibiotics as they csn make him really sick ? xx

nikkimariet

Visit site
A much better weekend for all at Sparkle HQ...

The week started off pretty glum after losing Bruce. Fig was most upset at being out on his own AT ALL and was hysterically galloping round in the pitch black screaming his head off during the 20/30 mins it took me to get Rooni ready to ride. Thankfully he has settled, he’s still a bit agitated on the yard. He’s always known Bruce. Rooni is happy in his own weird and wonderful world pulling faces to himself!

Saturday saw both the boys in the school. Rooni is back to his chilled self but hot as sin when I ask him to be. Almost back to full fitness.

A7651DA0-798F-46CB-8DE2-66CA3EA8B297.jpeg
7A6334AF-B536-4182-AF81-46FEAD891F05.jpeg

Fig had a quick session, he doesn’t need to do much. I’m going to investigate further into non steroid hock injections/similar (if anyone has any experience?) as worry it’s been a few years since he had them and don’t want him to go sore.

E0744E29-7D55-4783-9174-EAB25A7F0E2F.jpeg
8C2BADE6-196B-4317-B3A5-A3D671D797F0.jpeg

He feels fine but never says no so I’m stressing. Naturally!

Then today, Rooni had a few hours out on his own (survived, was still eating when I got back!) whilst Fig went for a hack with a friend.

164FCB83-CE28-4CCA-AE10-4A3470844D0E.jpeg

He is such a good egg.

And last but not least, a small brag about my DIY skills. Not entirely my own work as my gf did the maths behind it but look what I made earlier:

C6FC4FFE-E645-4D55-80E9-ADFAE09004CF.jpeg

I’m really pleased with it. Much handier than putting it over a door and having your bandages roll away in the wind etc.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Dolly and Toby had a jumping lesson today. Dolly was awesome as usual. Toby was a work in progress. As usual! But I think (I hope) that there are improvements. He just never rescues me. If I mess up, he will too. Which I guess means he's a good teacher! Instant feedback. But if I ride correctly he will mostly now jump cleanly.

Today was more technical too. Lots of turns and change of rein so I has to ride accurately and turn smoothly to get him back on his line quickly which he finds hard as he's so wiggly.

Screenshot_20210221-174053_Video Player.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
Another day another hack, babysitting round the local estate so pretty quiet one today.
Then another lesson to teach, and a pony to have a sit on. Final leg clipped today and didn't get kicked at all - bit snatchy and fidgety but much more acceptable behaviour. Got to wash them all tomorrow at some point, apply lime dip and start to just skim over a leg a day for now.
Big clippers are on charge ready for after Bodger's announcement tomorrow ??
And the trip to the (tack and) feed shop was accomplished - £400 spend later, I have new wellies, needed as mine leak, and I do a lot of my teaching in them as the arena gets so waterlogged; new 100g rugs all round - Charlie's has doughnuts on but we had to get a plainer one for his brother as they didn't have his size to match. Got a rug for the Shetland too - been clipped due to being itchy but then shes been a bit soft about the weather. Got our feed - alfa oil and baileys 19, supplements, teatree shampoo, lunge whip and possibly most importantly socks that fit! I'm a size 4 and socks always end up with the heel up my ankle, I've now found a brand that do kids riding socks (including thin competing ones) in a size 2 -5 which is far better for me than the standard 4-7 you normally get ?
Nikki, your saddle holder looks brilliant- super idea, glad the boys are behaving and looking good.
AE, that sounds productive in the main - I do like him and I think he's got scope to be a good fun horse to go out competing with.
RB, hopefully that all settles down - my boy used to react to fly bites and his sheath would swelling, it just looks so uncomfortable for them

palo1

Visit site
Walking/fittening work week 7 saw us asking a bit more today :) So, so bored of walking round the roads so was hugely glad to get out onto the open hill and hack quietly for 9 miles. We did have a teeny trot on the hill which was wildly exciting, especially when the hill pony herd swept up nearby (thankfully not too close...) Even though poor Alw had had to stagger up a 1000 foot to get to the hill she still thought this was worth dancing and head tossing for and we suddenly had plenty of energy and impulsion. :) :) This open hill work is really important to me as a great deal of our riding is on the hill so any horse has to be cool with that! Very pleased with Alw and just looking ahead to a time when she will be fit enough to really enjoy the hills and harder terrain; she is still unfit so finds it hard and I just have to suck that up at the moment!! So glad that she was smiley about it all though.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I cleaned my tack and now want a certificate saying hardest worker ever....

I have been clicker training the Shetland except it’s gone slightly too well and now every time she sees anyone she tries to mug you for treats. So until I have a target to train with, I have amended my world class training plans with the Shetland to long reining and seeing what’s possible. Today we long reined down the road. Nobody died and it’s quite amusing.

I mostly hack and wait with trepidation for when outdoor sport can resume with tomorrow’s announcement then I will make competition plans ???. The eventers will be ? that they need to move up a level from happy hackers while the Shetland will be ? that I am no longer trying to expand my repertoire of horse training skills badly.

Last edited:

Sprat

Visit site
A pretty quiet weekend really. Had good intentions to hack yesterday, but it was blowing a gale and our hacking partner is just as dramatic hacking in the wind as Bean so we decided to chose life rather than risk a sideways canter through the village.

Had a good lesson today from super instructor, working on the basics and preparation into and out of the transitions and laterals. Who knew, when you actually prepare, it all goes well ? also did some work without stirrups and I was pleased to hear that my trot sans stirrups isn’t actually as horrific as I thought, though I am pretty sure it’s because of my ample arse comforting the blow to the saddle.
More to work on until next lesson, and I’m starting Jo Tittertons 6 week equi Pilates HIIT class tomorrow so fully expect to be exhausted by Wednesday.

racebuddy

Visit site
Hacked after work xx melamomas bleeding a bit ☹️☹️☹️☹️ And hes had pos urine infection too but who knows if it’s melanoma that are irritating him xx feeling much better in himself thankgod now pain killers kicked in xx

Attachments

• BE2F0224-EA57-4CAD-9F00-DEA74ECEA282.jpg
    BE2F0224-EA57-4CAD-9F00-DEA74ECEA282.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2
  • B76C36D0-7EE0-4950-836F-6F9389F939DE.jpeg
    B76C36D0-7EE0-4950-836F-6F9389F939DE.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2
  • B785C8B2-986A-4A13-9D37-BCC5386A3406.jpeg
    B785C8B2-986A-4A13-9D37-BCC5386A3406.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 24B35E54-8C9C-499C-B4A0-9FE6F7D5F173.jpg
    24B35E54-8C9C-499C-B4A0-9FE6F7D5F173.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4

nikkimariet

Visit site
We had a lovely 30 min stroll down the lane to try out her highnesses new girth and VIP pad - both get a bigs thumbs up (hooves up?) from M. I also wore my new hat for the first time but the vents are a bit *too* efficient - my head was blooming freezing! I might try and tape them up ?.

Get some ear covers from gone cuckoo off fb. I have the grey ones. You can keep a cool head but these stop your bonce from freezing off entirely!