Should hunting with hounds be banned?(poll)

Should all hunting with hounds be banned

• Yes

Votes: 94 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 20.3%
  • Allow drag hunting only

Votes: 58 24.1%
  • Allow trail hunting but with much tighter restrictions.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Continue trail hunting as it is now

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Hunt the clean boot ie follow a human trail

Votes: 68 28.2%

• Total voters

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think any polll which has a total poll of 122% is more than a little suspect.

Multiple votes are allowed, you can tick more than one category.

Lots of people have ticked No , it should not be banned and allow drag or bloodhounds. 22%, in fact 😁

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I never have and never will hunt - I'm not an animal rights person but I am definitely an animal welfare person (there is a very definite distinction), so I can't comment on specifics. But I know taking a pack of dogs through rural areas will mean they see and smell numerous animals, often when they're a long distance from a human and I wouldn't fancy said animals chances of not being killed / attacked / panicked. Like others have said, for excitement; bloodhounds or hire a cross country.

I do agree with you and I stopped for various reasons, not least of which was the antisocial behaviour, but for excitement there's no comparison at all between bloodhounds or hiring a cross country course (I've done both) and a drag hunt in full flow in big hedge country on a good horse.

Reactions: SEL

SEL

Visit site
I'm not a huge blood sports fan but it was fantastic riding. A huge thrill galloping with so many other horses, probably the best riding experience I've had in all honesty, I was however uncomfortable with the hunting aspect (post ban)
And that is why people keep going and turn a blind eye to the illegal practices.

I understand the thrill - many of my best rides have been in locations where we didn't have to worry about people, roads etc and could just gallop. I'm not very brave these days but I totally get why people do it. It's one of the reasons I wish hunts would behave before they get totally banned.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
And that is why people keep going and turn a blind eye to the illegal practices.

I understand the thrill - many of my best rides have been in locations where we didn't have to worry about people, roads etc and could just gallop. I'm not very brave these days but I totally get why people do it. It's one of the reasons I wish hunts would behave before they get totally banned.
Yes I completely agree. I’ve not been again since. My daughter desperately wanted me to join her and it was so close to home I decided to give it a go.
Naively it was years ago and I think I actually thought we were following a trail at first.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Sorry I have never posted a poll before so I am sorry if I have done it wrong. There is no intention to fix any result on my part.
You haven't done it wrong, you've given multiple options and generated a very interesting discussion, and besides, legislation won't be changed on the basis of a thread/poll on HHO :)

No need for anyone to infer that the results are "suspect".

Sandstone1

Visit site
You haven't done it wrong, you've given multiple options and generated a very interesting discussion, and besides, legislation won't be changed on the basis of a thread/poll on HHO :)

No need for anyone to infer that the results are "suspect".
Thank you, I feel the results so far speak for themselves and given the type of forum this is that is very interesting. Just thought I was being accused of fixing it somehow which is untrue.

paddy555

Visit site
Thank you, I feel the results so far speak for themselves and given the type of forum this is that is very interesting. Just thought I was being accused of fixing it somehow which is untrue.
HHO list the top online posts in their magazine each week. I wonder if the views on hunting will make it? probably not. :D

good poll, interesting to see t he results and discussion. I never looked at the hunting section on here for many years after I joined. I thought everyone would be so pro hunting. I was really surprised when I did start to look at that section.

Sandstone1

Visit site
HHO list the top online posts in their magazine each week. I wonder if the views on hunting will make it? probably not. :D

good poll, interesting to see t he results and discussion. I never looked at the hunting section on here for many years after I joined. I thought everyone would be so pro hunting. I was really surprised when I did start to look at that section.
I very much doubt they will list this thread somehow🤣:eek:

Clodagh

Visit site
I never have and never will hunt - I'm not an animal rights person but I am definitely an animal welfare person (there is a very definite distinction), so I can't comment on specifics. But I know taking a pack of dogs through rural areas will mean they see and smell numerous animals, often when they're a long distance from a human and I wouldn't fancy said animals chances of not being killed / attacked / panicked. Like others have said, for excitement; bloodhounds or hire a cross country.
I can work my dogs at extreme distances from me, often out of sight altogether, and they ignore everything except what they are meant to be focussing on. Always. They have never ‘rioted’.
It’s a training issue if hounds riot, same as any dog.

teapot

Visit site
I've always wondered about the social 'have a port or three old chap' side of hunting too - how legally sober are some of these people driving their horses home, especially after an all day-er?

(See also shoots too, not just taking aim at hunts specifically here).

SEL

Visit site
I can work my dogs at extreme distances from me, often out of sight altogether, and they ignore everything except what they are meant to be focussing on. Always. They have never ‘rioted’.
It’s a training issue if hounds riot, same as any dog.
Many years ago pre ban I was in Wales and we came across the local foxhounds with master & staff on foot shifting troublesome foxes from the sheep.

Apparently they'd been called out by the farmer after he'd lost sheep. I got the impression the fox(es) were well known to all parties.

It was a masterclass in watching foxhounds at work. Total concentration from the 3 huntsmen as they worked the copse and the local area. I didn't see a kill but I got the impression this was more about telling the fox to get out of the area and he probably knew exactly what hounds meant and was long gone.

It stayed with me because I love watching working dogs do their job well.