Should I hit the panic button?

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I know all the comments on here saying "keep him, keep him" mean well, but I'm not sure that it's super helpful for us to be saying that at this point. What is important is that Hermosa and Caso continue to do well and that CI feels better, more in control of the situation and can even *whispers* enjoy it at some point. What will be, will be.

KTPsurrey

Visit site
Yeah. My horse turned out to be in foal. Very, very in foal. Now, I have a foal. See above thread.

(as an aside, I totally thought my mare was in season a few weeks beforehand, because she was being tricky to catch, planting, acting uncharacteristically difficult. I've only had her since March, so I didn't know what 'normal' heat behaviour was for her, but my old mare used to lose her mind completely, so I was prepared for anything. She wasn't in season. Obviously. In hindsight, the 'tricky' behaviour was probably due to late-term pregnancy hormones and the baby kicking around).
Oh how gorgeous though❤️. I have the vet on Thursday. Did her bagging up get bigger and smaller? Depending on how much exercise she had? Today I was cleaning her teats and one squirted at me so now I’m really worried ?

Fjord

Visit site
They are both so beautiful. I really hope you can get some time to just enjoy them for a while, with no stress. If your friend (l love her hair!) buys Caso that would be perfect.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Oh how gorgeous though❤️. I have the vet on Thursday. Did her bagging up get bigger and smaller? Depending on how much exercise she had? Today I was cleaning her teats and one squirted at me so now I’m really worried ?

It got bigger. And bigger. About five minutes before the vet arrived, YO squirted some milk out of her teat (the horse's, that is). Vet did the same and was like, yeah, that's pregnant. I asked if there was any possible chance that something other than pregnancy could cause the horse to bag up and produce milk. The vet said maybe in an old broodmare who's had lots of foals, but not a young maiden.

Would your friend have facilities to buy Caso now and take Hermosa with him now until weaned?

My friend just moved her horse to Hermosa's yard. So, not really, but that's two liveries who want those two horses to stay put.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Woot! Coming out of her foal heat seems to be reinstalling Hermosa's brain. Approached her today without faff and managed to stroke and scritch Caso. Even got an arm gently around his chest, and he didn't mind. I've been showing him the foal headcollar. Today, he nibbled at it and tugged at it. Keep that up, buddy, and you'll have to wear it.

She turned 3 yesterday. When they ran the Belmont a couple weeks ago, I showed her the video on YouTube and explained that these 3-year olds hadn't got pregnant and dropped out of school. She flicked her mane at me and walked away.

IMG_0557.JPGIMG_0558.JPGIMG_0559.JPG

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Woot! Coming out of her foal heat seems to be reinstalling Hermosa's brain. Approached her today without faff and managed to stroke and scritch Caso. Even got an arm gently around his chest, and he didn't mind. I've been showing him the foal headcollar. Today, he nibbled at it and tugged at it. Keep that up, buddy, and you'll have to wear it.

She turned 3 yesterday. When they ran the Belmont a couple weeks ago, I showed her the video on YouTube and explained that these 3-year olds hadn't got pregnant and dropped out of school. She flicked her mane at me and walked away.

View attachment 74619View attachment 74620View attachment 74621
Am pleased for you that she's back to her previous self x
(I did mention it at day 2 as did others, so happy she's back in the brain x)

Caol Ila

Visit site
YO has plan A and plan B for the winter, depending on how handle-able the horses are. So we don't have to move. Fantastic. Caso is getting braver and has discovered that humans can scratch him. Hermosa thinks she never needs to wear a headcollar again and trots off when you threaten to put one on.

I'm looking at two more ridden horses this week. One is an 8-year old Standardbred, which looks very sweet and pleasant on the videos I've seen. The other is a Highland from the Dallas estate of unknown age. I've been told he's 10ish, and his current owner got him unhandled in 2018. He's very pretty and his ground manners are excellent, but I didn't get the chance to ride at first viewing, so I'm going back on Thursday to do that. I've since read that the Dallas horses were rounded up in 2011 so I'm trying to figure out how the numbers work. Are there still horses on the estate and subsequent (but not publicised) round ups? Does anyone know?

HBB

Visit site
I've since read that the Dallas horses were rounded up in 2011 so I'm trying to figure out how the numbers work. Are there still horses on the estate and subsequent (but not publicised) round ups? Does anyone know?

I don't think there are any Auchness highland ponies left on the farm at Dallas, they were all rounded up as the elderly breeder couldn't cope any more. Have you see the World Horse Welfare video of them being rounded up?

katastrophykat

Visit site
The Dallas ponies were rounded up and gelded, but not rehomed at that time, I’ve just been looking it all up as a friend has an Auchness pony, they were sold on after the round up, I’d assume in dribs and drabs- there’s limited market for feral unhandled part breds- my friends is a driving pony, I’ve both ridden and driven him, he’s not the easiest by any stretch but he’s competed driven and hacks out in town traffic. There is info on them through the Dallas Ponies Forever page on fb.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Aye, I watched the video. Where would the horse have gone after 2011? Trying to figure out a likely timeline that leaves him at 10 ish and not like 17. I’m keeping an open mind about him but if he feels like too much of a project or is a lot older than ten, I’d pass.

I emailed Hermosa’s breeder today. Will see what happens.

HBB

Visit site
Aye, I watched the video. Where would the horse have gone after 2011? Trying to figure out a likely timeline that leaves him at 10 ish and not like 17. I’m keeping an open mind about him but if he feels like too much of a project or is a lot older than ten, I’d pass.

I emailed Hermosa’s breeder today. Will see what happens.

He could've been one of the foals at foot or from one of the pregnant mares? That might work with your timeline of him being 10ish?
@Dry Rot would have have been the best person to help you out regarding info but I haven't see him on here for a while, he is on the Dallas Ponies Forever FB page, you could ask on there? I know many people helped in the roundup and ponies were dispersed all over the place due to the large numbers involved.

Last edited:

katastrophykat

Visit site
He could've been one of the foals at foot or from one of the pregnant mares? That might work with your timeline of him being 10ish?
@Dry Rot would have have been the best person to help you out regarding info but I haven't see him on here for a while, he is on the Dallas Ponies Forever FB page, you could ask on there? I know many people helped in the roundup and ponies were dispersed all over the place due to the large numbers involved.
Yes- the one I know is in Durham now. Was bought as a Highland x Connie.

Caol Ila

Visit site
This chap looks mostly Highland and is built like a brick sh1thouse. I wondered if he was one of the foals but why (and where) would someone leave him unhandled until his current owner got him in 2018?

I miss Dry Rot. I always liked his posts, and I would have totally bought one of his horses.

HBB

Visit site
It is an odd one but I do know of some people that had great intentions were left completely out of their depth with the ponies they took on, not all of ponies went to WHW to be handled, broken, rehomed etc

I looked at @Dry Rot profile and he still comes on here but not posting anything, maybe drop him a PM?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This chap looks mostly Highland and is built like a brick sh1thouse. I wondered if he was one of the foals but why (and where) would someone leave him unhandled until his current owner got him in 2018?

I miss Dry Rot. I always liked his posts, and I would have totally bought one of his horses.

I believe his place is again open, Morrich Highland something on Facebook, saw a post a couple of days ago of someone starting to work with the ponies.

I’m lost!

Same.