Sky lantern ban petition

Cragrat

Visit site
Don’t know how many petitions I’ve signed to get rid of these horrible things. If we could also add non-silent fireworks, and helium balloons which ’get sent up to heaven’, that’d be great.

This.

Basically anything which can set fire to the countrysride or harm wildlife/livestock. or simply be an unsightly non-biodegradeable mess should be banned.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Perhaps due to effective lobbying by manufacturers?
with the helium balloons i think there is a strong element of thinking it's too sensitive to question, when people do it as a memorial to a child that has died etc. i have seen some fair old dingdongs on local FB pages about this. anyone who suggests doing something other than releasing balloons gets crucified. whoever came up with the idea in the first place? ughhh.

cauda equina

Visit site
Some carers did it for a relative of mine.
It was made worse as the balloons were underfilled and didn't want to fly.
It was horrible but they meant it kindly and I felt it would be churlish to ask them not to :(

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Some carers did it for a relative of mine.
It was made worse, as the balloons were underfilled and didn't want to fly.
It was horrible but they meant it kindly and I felt it would be churlish to ask them not to :(
I had a good chat about 8 years ago with my local hospice, having taken a dropped helium balloon in with me which had landed on one of my stable roofs and was dedicated on its label to a person who had recently passed away there. They did listen, it's a bit of advice that they still pass on even now to 'please celebrate your loved one's life, but please don't use the likes of helium balloons or Chinese lanterns which can end a creatures life and will end up as litter somewhere.'

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
with the helium balloons i think there is a strong element of thinking it's too sensitive to question, when people do it as a memorial to a child that has died etc. i have seen some fair old dingdongs on local FB pages about this. anyone who suggests doing something other than releasing balloons gets crucified. whoever came up with the idea in the first place? ughhh.
I found a balloon in our field blowing around. Fortunately no horses in there or there could have been mayhem. It had a label on it with an email address as the lady who released it in memory of her parents wanted to know how far it had gone. I emailed her and had a lovely chat with her. I explained the problem and she just hadn't realised what could happen. I suggested other ways of remembering her parents in future and she agreed. I also put it on the village facebook page and got a right mix of opinions. Shut a lot of them up when I explained I had been in touch (nicely) with the person who released it.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Signed.
Had one land in our paddock once. Elderly mare panicked and slipped cutting her leg quite badly. I reported it to local newspaper to raise awareness. This was a while ago before social media.