(slight) Lockdown lifting weekend plans

DirectorFury

Visit site
Lovely hack this evening but it was like the rapture had happened and I was the only one left! We did the same route we’ve done nearly every day for the last 2 weeks (3 mile loop, hilly, hard ground so just walk and bits of trot) and normally there are a handful of cars and lots of walkers and cyclists. I saw two people and no cars, and then only 4 cars on my 20 mile drive home. Very very weird.

edit: mine did not react well to that bit ycbm, hopefully yours likes it but she had a very violent reaction to it and stood bolt upright. Finally sorted with a NS Turtle Top Flex. I’ve got a few barely used Nathes here, including one of the super soft old ones that they no longer make, if you want one to try?

smolmaus

Visit site
Just about the time to start getting anxious about my first hack in a long time on Sunday :p Never ridden the pony before, though I do know him, and I haven't hacked out on roads in a fair few years. I will have very sensible company on foot since it's my first time out in the area so we will be absolutely fine but my brain just doesn't like new things!

Roxylola

Visit site
Going to be trying this bit on my five year old who has never been happy with a bit in his mouth. I need to find one of we are going to do dressage competitions, this must be the 30th one I've tried. It's a lot stranger shape than it looks, very bent forwards but also with a big upwards port.

bombers-bit-happy-tongue-loose-ring-bits-bombers-bits_1024x1024.jpg
In contrast to DF, I've had at least 4 different horses go nicely in one of those. For one I switched to the elliptical because out hacking I just didnt have quite enough to stop him taking hold but he schooled well in it. The other 3 one at PSG, 1 at medium and 1 prelim all worked well in it and liked it. So much so I think it would be my go to for starting a horse now

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
edit: mine did not react well to that bit ycbm, hopefully yours likes it but she had a very violent reaction to it and stood bolt upright. Finally sorted with a NS Turtle Top Flex. I’ve got a few barely used Nathes here, including one of the super soft old ones that they no longer make, if you want one to try?

Thank you DF, he loves a nathe, to bite right through them, the toad ?

He is best (but still not good) in a Happy Mouth but they are not BD legal. I tried to buy an unbobbled one but they were all sold out.

ycbm

Visit site
ycbm, I have the loose ring and the eggbutt, B Fuzzy now goes in the eggbutt as prefers something more still in her gob.

Good to know thanks. This one is on trial, if he likes the mouthpiece it will be obvious before he even leaves the stable, then I'll make a judgement whether fixed sides would be better when I ride depending on the feel.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I ring the changes as B can be a fussy soul. If doing faster stuff, I might pop in a French link hanging cheek..... yes, contradiction in terms but its another bit that we 'can' use without tongue over or headshaking. A mullen mouth Pelham for the odd show ring foray is acceptable to her, but not for riding club.....
Today I tried a Mexican grackle over the eggbutt bomber, after 2 mins intermittent headshaking, we carried on out and she was delightful at all 3 paces. I was road testing it as I think it might suit for jumping, without resorting to stronger bits, as once she discovers she can get her tongue over (only when having a paddy, getting quite rare now) she obviously runs out of my hands.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
This thread is making me jealous. I’ll be doing my new normal and watching all the willing guinea pigs down south to see if we may get a tiny bit of freedom soon.
Stay safe guys and make it work...
Tbh I think it won't be horsey folk that cock this up, it'll be the tossers putting on anti-lockdown mass gatherings and the like ?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Woohoo! I'm very happy for those of you getting out to play.

I'm planning on booking some arena hire but it'll be a week or so yet for various logistical reasons (they're not opening till Sunday anyway) so this one will just be hacking and playing in my field as usual. It's nice to be able to hack with others now though.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
I am setting up a faux XC course at home for something different to do!

Our restrictions are much lighter, we have almost eliminated it here but there are no shows on the horizon yet and I don't want to go on an actual XC course until we have something definite to work towards. Hopefully soon, we are now allowed gatherings of 20 people from Monday and can eat in restaurants etc which is also exciting.

Have fun all, enjoy your new found freedom!

monte1

Visit site
i have a lesson at our yard on Saturday morning and hoping to get out one evening next week to a local arena for a jump lesson, i am also wary in case we get locked down again but all we can do is be sensible and take it slowly

Asha

Visit site
Some exciting plans all round.

Weve got a full weekend. Did our first hack yesterday, so good to be back on board. Daughter has just gone to collect yearling from horsey hospital, so will be keeping an eye on her for a while. Then tomorrow a trip to collect some semen, from a HHO favourite RID stallion, then sunday dropping off a van at a local horsebox builder to be converted into 3.5t. We decided to go with a trailer and a 3,5t so we can travel a bit further if we have any special play dates in the future .2A11F560-1337-4FB0-9AE8-EB1CF20A4815.jpeg

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Had a lovely ride round farm ride this morning. I was so excited last night that I didn't sleep well and was doing chores at yard 1st thing grinning like an idiot, even when pulling the box forward and dropping ramp ?
We did the shorter 5 mile route but that still had some long hills on it, B Fuzzy v pleased when I asked her to shift up from canter to full 4th gear, went into overdrive but easily came back when asked to. Ground rather hard in some places, happy that we had agreed not to jump.
Rubbish photo....FB_IMG_1589542653091.jpg

Kat

Visit site
Just another weekend of hacking here. I don't fancy going out the first weekend while things are settling down, plus my trailer could do with a service.

However I have got a lesson at home booked for tuesday - ridiculously excited!!!! Really looking forward to it.

Then lockdown was eased just in time for the physio appointment that I booked 4 months ago and thought would have to be cancelled.

ycbm

Visit site
Going to be trying this bit on my five year old who has never been happy with a bit in his mouth. I need to find one of we are going to do dressage competitions, this must be the 30th one I've tried. It's a lot stranger shape than it looks, very bent forwards but also with a big upwards port.

bombers-bit-happy-tongue-loose-ring-bits-bombers-bits_1024x1024.jpg

Oh my gidddy aunt . I can't believe the difference. Even before he left the stable he was quieter. To ride he was twiddling a little instead of full on chomping and flicking it round his mouth. And when I got off, twiddling gently instead of manically foal mouthing at it. Green slobber absolutely everywhere!

I've made it into an eggbutt now by using latex bandage stoppers top and bottom to prevent the loose ring sliding, and if he likes that even better I'll buy an eggbutt version.

I can't believe I've finally found a bit he will tolerate. It's his only weakness, he is a fantastic horse otherwise.

oldie48

Visit site
Rose has been off for 7 weeks, she still looks fantastic but I decided not to bring her back into work myself so I took her over to a pro to bring back into work for me. She's used to bringing hunters back into work, knows Rose and has great off road hacking. Wise choice, I think, as she was lunged to access her fitness and spent the first 10 minutes being a complete idiot which tbh is exactly what I expected. I'll be interested to see how long it takes her to settle back into work, quite quickly I expect as she's with someone who won't take any nonsense! Have a lovely weekend everyone, it's going to be nice weather. I'll be dog walking and gardening.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Reporting back in after a great lesson 1st thing this morning.
I was asked what I wanted to work on, as usually I only see this trainer when am in a group of 3 or so with RC for polework, sj or arena eventing training. I selected transitions and position.
Thought I'd be exhausted by 20 mins, but by 45 mins I was still cracking on.
Initially we worked on the walk, such an important pace as imho no walk no horse. A good bit of half halting and then into square halts and a good rhythmic walk (B tends to stride out everywhere, like a little marching machine!).
Next, trot. Trainer impressed with how B generally went, a lot more right leg needed from me (my weak leg).
Then canter. B favours the left lead, however she is better balanced on the right rein imho. No problem with canter leads as usual, tho had to work on rushing into canter on the right rein, and when on the left the work was to keep canter maintained as tho good to do transition upwards, B tends to flatten and unless I work hard to keep her up together we fall into trot on corners occasionally as she finds it hard work keeping her hocks under her.
Finished by popping a canter pole, jump and canter pole after on both reins. B v good.
Lots to take away to work on, but v happy with how it all went :)

Asha

Visit site
Great weekend so far , our filly is home and eating well . She’s lost loads of weight , but hopefully this will come back on now , especially as she’s having 2 small meals a day ( to hide her meds ) then had a great trip to pick up some semen from Avanti Amorous Archie . Got to meet him too , which was incredible. Aswell as being gorgeous, he has the most beautiful temperament. Fingers crossed my girl takes . Just have to wait impatiently for a couple of weeks now 117FE531-86E2-4FA2-8ECF-AF5BC060CC7F.jpeg

J&S

Visit site
Both on line videos done and uploading and as a real bonus my step daughter said she would like to ride so we took the ponies out for a good hour around the lanes and local farm track. Winnie had not been ridden since last October and Spottie's last outing was around Christmas time so really pleased with how chilled they were. I do think all the in hand work has been useful.

Cloball

Visit site
Hallo Cloball, I am lucky enough to keep my ponies at home, my retired competition pony (small horse) and her ex RS companion. So to wile away the lock down time my friend sent me some plans of competitions from The Alternative Equine Club. I watched her You Tube films and thought if I can actually manage to get a video on You Tube doing the competitions would be something to aim for.
So, so far since joining we have had a Horse Agility competition and this Western Trail challenge. Western Trail is a series of moves over poles, through gaps/gates and exercises backing up and moving sideways. The novice level is not too complicated, quite short so no need to remember too much but it does engage the brain of myself and the ponies. Also I think the moves improve flexibility, obedience and muscle tone in unridden horses/ponies. I set it out on a flat area of the field with whatever I can find to hand and that in itself gets the imagination going, especially for horse agility! I can assure you what we do is a long way from the glitzty cow girls on their beautifully turned out but completely dead looking horses in the USA that you will find on You Tube. It is suitable for any size, age, type of horse or pony. If I get brave I will put a link to this month's effort after it has been judged.
Sounds fun I wandered if it was like the superfast indoor western classes over bridges and logs with built in trees that I have seen in the YouTube