So, I’m picking up a spaniel this week.

Clodagh

Visit site
Although she was very nervous for the first few days she really is far more confident than I expected. Handling her body was an issue but she’s absolutely fine now. She has never peed in fear, even when she has gone almost catatonic (like when changing bodysuit the first couple of times).
Today OH had been at the kennels and he came home carrying his hunting whip. She absolutely went to pieces. Peed everywhere, clamped down rigid as a board and was absolutely terrified. Even though he went immediately and put it away she is very nervy and wary and won’t go near him.
Poor little thing.

palo1

Visit site
Although she was very nervous for the first few days she really is far more confident than I expected. Handling her body was an issue but she’s absolutely fine now. She has never peed in fear, even when she has gone almost catatonic (like when changing bodysuit the first couple of times).
Today OH had been at the kennels and he came home carrying his hunting whip. She absolutely went to pieces. Peed everywhere, clamped down rigid as a board and was absolutely terrified. Even though he went immediately and put it away she is very nervy and wary and won’t go near him.
Poor little thing.

That is so sad. Poor wee thing. Glad she has a lovely new home though.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That breaks my heart, poor little girl. ? Saying that, Goose collapses to the floor if he thinks he’s being told off, puddle of spaniel on the floor. We’ve never hurt him and he doesn’t do it with me. He’s getting better, but he was like this from the start. You have to use the stupidest high encouraging voice to stop him. He nearly had a heart attack at the massive parasol over the table spinning today.

fiwen30

Visit site
That is absolutely heartbreaking, poor girl.

I got my boy from rescue at about 9 months, and when he was about 3 I went to the door to collect the mail and held the free local rag still rolled up in my hand as I came back in, and I’ll never forget the look on his face as he cowered away from me. He did the same thing at age 8 with partner the first time he saw him hold a rolled up bit of paper, and he’s his most favourite person in the world. Partner nearly cried when he twigged what was going on in his little head.

We truly do not deserve dogs, they’re too pure for this world.

twiggy2

Visit site
We have one that cowers from sticks or stones being thrown, other half bred him, he has never been hit or beaten as he has never lived with anyone else but honestly he behaves like it's a daily occurance, he doesn't pee himself though.
I have also had rescues that behave like they have had a terrible past and we can only believe them not that it makes any difference to their current life.
Clodagh I am sure you have it covered and she she sounds like a very promising prospect for you, good luck I lo e hearing what's happe ing with her.

Clodagh

Visit site
We have one that cowers from sticks or stones being thrown, other half bred him, he has never been hit or beaten as he has never lived with anyone else but honestly he behaves like it's a daily occurance, he doesn't pee himself though.
I have also had rescues that behave like they have had a terrible past and we can only believe them not that it makes any difference to their current life.
Clodagh I am sure you have it covered and she she sounds like a very promising prospect for you, good luck I lo e hearing what's happe ing with her.
She’ll be grand, I’m sure. Her work ethic is so high I’m confident that once she’s thinking about that all else will pass her by.
We are going to our first training session tomorrow night.

Clodagh

Visit site
Poor thing just got attacked by next doors collie. They always dart out at us but it’s just a bit handbags. I saw the more aggressive one come out and told her to get back in but the other one has never given any trouble so i didn’t watch her. Pep did give as good as she got and it was over in seconds. No harm done. Next door came over and sent his to their beds and she soon relaxed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Poor thing just got attacked by next doors collie. They always dart out at us but it’s just a bit handbags. I saw the more aggressive one come out and told her to get back in but the other one has never given any trouble so i didn’t watch her. Pep did give as good as she got and it was over in seconds. No harm done. Next door came over and sent his to their beds and she soon relaxed.

I’d be bloody incandescent. ? He needs to control his dogs, that’s unacceptable.

Clodagh

Visit site
They don’t bother us, and the lane to our house goes through his yard so it’s not as easy as them not being there. They are nice friendly dogs in the whole, they just do that collie dart thing. Now I know Meg can be more than I thought I’ll keep a better eye on both.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
They don’t bother us, and the lane to our house goes through his yard so it’s not as easy as them not being there. They are nice friendly dogs in the whole, they just do that collie dart thing. Now I know Meg can be more than I thought I’ll keep a better eye on both.

Did you re-name her or is that the collie?

Clodagh

Visit site
Went training tonight. She was brilliant. Got her out the car, let her off and walked up a track in a wood with the trainer. She just immediately went into zig zag hunt mode and hunted into the wind like a champion trialler. Did some good retrieves. Is completely obsessive and intense. We worked on her stop as she always comes to me when I ask for it, she needs to learn to do it at a distance.
I think Steve (trainer) was very taken. He said ‘she’s an absolute bargain, (even with the spay), triallers would kill for that action’. She’s a little superstar.