So I really wasn't looking for another dog....

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How lovely shady:D your dog looks so lovely I bet you can't wait for the new one, my best friend has one his called Scooby and is a complete nutter but his a gorgeous dog, she also has a schaunzer I can't spell sorry!! Called Daphne and she has just had 8 puppies they are keeping a bitch and naming her Thelma:eek: I know they are all a mental:p I dog walk with her most days my little Winnie loves them.

Shady

Visit site
How lovely shady:D your dog looks so lovely I bet you can't wait for the new one, my best friend has one his called Scooby and is a complete nutter but his a gorgeous dog, she also has a schaunzer I can't spell sorry!! Called Daphne and she has just had 8 puppies they are keeping a bitch and naming her Thelma:eek: I know they are all a mental:p I dog walk with her most days my little Winnie loves them.
Thanks Pinks :). They are total nutters, it's true . I'm not even going to pretend otherwise. They just love having a good time with their buds and humans. What I also love about them is their ability to go from madcap to super calm when I settle down in the evening. To me they are very like Siamese and Oriental cats. Full of energy one minute and wanting snuggles on the sofa the next minute . xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks Pinks :). They are total nutters, it's true . I'm not even going to pretend otherwise. They just love having a good time with their buds and humans. What I also love about them is their ability to go from madcap to super calm when I settle down in the evening. To me they are very like Siamese and Oriental cats. Full of energy one minute and wanting snuggles on the sofa the next minute . xx

I think Scooby has calmed down a lot since his had his nuts off! The most hilarious thing he does is he tries to chase birds flying in the sky, we also have model airplane people near us and he is fixated on those.

Shady

Visit site
I think Scooby has calmed down a lot since his had his nuts off! The most hilarious thing he does is he tries to chase birds flying in the sky, we also have model airplane people near us and he is fixated on those.
Oh bless. They are not the brightest of dogs but they make up for it in so many other ways !
My Odes still has his nuts . I was going to do him but he is so lovely iv'e kept delaying and now i;m not sure what I should do as apart from trying to hump a cat every now and then he's not a problem ( well apart from for the poor cat but she doesn't seem to mind much). :eek::D xxx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh bless. They are not the brightest of dogs but they make up for it in so many other ways !
My Odes still has his nuts . I was going to do him but he is so lovely iv'e kept delaying and now i;m not sure what I should do as apart from trying to hump a cat every now and then he's not a problem ( well apart from for the poor cat but she doesn't seem to mind much). :eek::D xxx

I think a lot of dogs are totally fine left entire so if his happy I wouldn't worry.

Scooby started to show aggression with some dogs and he nipped a few men that had come into the house so it had to be done, his totally fine now no aggression at all.

Shady

Visit site
Just doing a little update as we have now chosen our pup :):)
I've had regular updates and they have all been doing really well. It came down to two pups, one being the smallest in the litter. It was a difficult choice as they all look the same really but I mentally decided against the smallest as we have a Weim and thought a good sized pup would make more sense . Characters didn't seem to vary much so actually I let Rob choose and funnily enough he went for the exact pup I would have chosen, so perhaps she was meant to be ours .
So here you go. Rob is naming her Freya. Not original I know, but it's a lovely name and will be easy to call.
Group photo first. She is in the middle facing the camera and actually the smallest pup is on her right looking a bit narky , probably toy envy!
IMG_6545.JPGIMG_6584.JPGIMG_6586.JPGIMG_6588.JPG

Shady

Visit site
Oh so beautiful.
:):)
I think they look like little piglets Clodagh!
They are the weirdest squigiest little things and their heads do all manner of odd changes before finally looking balanced.
I think we might get a decent ear with this one. Odes has rather runty ones like they gave up growing.:D

Clodagh

Visit site
:):)
I think they look like little piglets Clodagh!
They are the weirdest squigiest little things and their heads do all manner of odd changes before finally looking balanced.
I think we might get a decent ear with this one. Odes has rather runty ones like they gave up growing.:D

At least they have progressed from the mole rat stage.:D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks Fuzzums:):)
Hope all is well with you and your Bro is ok over here. xxxx

Thanks Pas. I am so pleased that you are doing well after your accident. Iv'e been a bit busy lately but it was good to read your update.
I have loved Weims from about 25 years ago when I saw 2 being walked up the high street in Cornwall and thought how absolutely stunning they were. I never thought I would have one , but there you go , now i'll have had 3 !

You take care of that leg now . xxx

Sorry I missed this!

Freya is going to be gorgeous! Weim's are such a beautiful colour. How old are they in these photos?

Shady

Visit site
At least they have progressed from the mole rat stage.:D
Haha yes indeed:D
I am always amazed that they grow into such beautiful dogs.
Almost every other breed is too cute for words when they are tiny, but I must admit that I look at Weim pups and think, ok then, pretty weird and what is going on with the stumpy legs and elephant ears.

Shady

Visit site
I have a rookie relationship question for you if I may as I am better with cat stuff.

Odes is entire and although choosing a female felt the right thing to do given his breed and character I am not certain how this will affect their relationship, if it even does, should I castrate him, leave him be and sterilize Freya early or leave her to mature before sterilizing and somehow separate them when she comes into heat. I'm going to guess that she will come on heat 3 times before sufficient maturity?
I can only imagine that if I leave Odes entire and wait for Freya to mature, life with them, and for them, will be pretty stressful when she's in heat.
Any thoughts on what you would do? people have asked about them having pups but I think not.

Clodagh

Visit site
It’s only a pain for a week when she’s fertile. Although they need separating for longer the actual Odes being a nuisance and howling shouldn’t last long.
Vigilance is key!

Shady

Visit site
Thank you Pas and Clodagh :)
Ok so it could be possible for Odes to keep his nuts. I only know somebody with cocker spaniels who kept both entire for any length of time and I remember the boy whined continuously all night.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Just doing a little update as we have now chosen our pup :):)
I've had regular updates and they have all been doing really well. It came down to two pups, one being the smallest in the litter. It was a difficult choice as they all look the same really but I mentally decided against the smallest as we have a Weim and thought a good sized pup would make more sense . Characters didn't seem to vary much so actually I let Rob choose and funnily enough he went for the exact pup I would have chosen, so perhaps she was meant to be ours .
So here you go. Rob is naming her Freya. Not original I know, but it's a lovely name and will be easy to call.
Group photo first. She is in the middle facing the camera and actually the smallest pup is on her right looking a bit narky , probably toy envy!
View attachment 72705View attachment 72706View attachment 72707View attachment 72708

???

gunnergundog

Visit site
I would say it depends on the male dog as to how stressful seasons are going to be. So...it's the luck of the draw!

Some dogs couldn't give a flying fig - apart from the days they are actually ovulating. These are generally, but not always, experienced stud dogs.

Other male dogs have been fine so long as they can SEE the bitch, but obviously not get to her. (As in, no one else is having her so that's okay!)

Other male dogs have been fine so long as I have walked the legs off them. Four hours minimum a day.

Others have been a pain in the arse from day 1 - howling, screaming, refusing to eat, moping, generally being a SERIOUS pain in the arse.

Having plans A, B, C, D....Z up your sleeve is goodness.

Just remember the old saying that 'where there's a willy, there's a way!' Forget fences, dog gates, barriers etc....some things overcome EVERYTHING! :)

PS Just to say that I prefer to keep both sexes entire unless for medical reasons or (very rarely) behavioural reasons that my inadequate training can't overcome.

gunnergundog

Visit site
BTW...out of interest are dogs/Weims/HPRs generally docked in France nowadays or does it depend on background...ie working v pet? Am more in touch with Brits/bobtails in France than other HPR breeda.

Shady

Visit site
BTW...out of interest are dogs/Weims/HPRs generally docked in France nowadays or does it depend on background...ie working v pet? Am more in touch with Brits/bobtails in France than other HPR breeda.
Thank you very much for the advice above. I'm going to think on it as I also have the added potential problem of my one and only neighbour's dog also being entire. He lives below me further down the valley and Odes pops off to see him every day, they are good friends, although he's old now so they mostly just hang out together quietly. He doesn't come up here anymore but I would imagine he'd hustle his old bones pretty quickly if given an incentive . I have to be honest and say I didn't consider him when choosing a female pup but I have a feeling this might be his last year so perhaps it won't cause further complications.

France , as far as I know is one of only a handful of EU countries who opted for unrestricted docking. I often see litters of gun dogs where some are docked and some aren't . My 2 Weims before this pup came from breeders who didn't believe in docking and one of them was a vet with very strong views on it. I honestly don't know if it just comes down to the individual breeder on what they decide to do and whether a vet will carry out the procedure . Could be that some don't even consult a vet at all and just tie a band on the tail . I'm going to guess that established breeders with a good working line will dock( especially the German Pointers) and prefer to sell to working homes . I see more Weims now with tails than without and i'm pretty certain it's because they have crossed over into 'family pet ' where as years ago they were firmly in the working dod bracket and nearly all were docked.