So this is Sadie

smolmaus

Visit site
Time has come for the first Very Bad Sadie post.

Jumped 99% of a 150cm gate out of the goddamn arena in the middle of a bucking, farting hooley. Gate is FUBAR. She stuck the landing thank God and just trotted up the yard to see her bestie and waited for me to wrestle the broken gate open and follow her. She was still sound to my eye after cold hosing her legs and walking but we shall see how much she is suffering tomorrow. Idiot, idiot idiot pony ?

planete

Visit site

Jumped 99% of a 150cm gate out of the goddamn arena in the middle of a bucking, farting hooley. Gate is FUBAR. She stuck the landing thank God and just trotted up the yard to see her bestie and waited for me to wrestle the broken gate open and follow her. She was still sound to my eye after cold hosing her legs and walking but we shall see how much she is suffering tomorrow. Idiot, idiot idiot pony ?

Spring grass? My normally lethargic coblet has started pinging all over the place! Mag ox has been ordered. I hope Sadie is ok today.

smolmaus

Visit site
Spring grass? My normally lethargic coblet has started pinging all over the place! Mag ox has been ordered. I hope Sadie is ok today.
They're not even on grass yet! And she's already on mag ox ? All the mares have come into season together this week so I think thats whats driven her to lose her goddamn mind.

Yard owner said she would let me know if she was worried this morning and all quiet so her legs are still attached but I have friend going to trot her up for me in an hour.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
I have a very old arthritic horse who normally only moves at a slow amble. He has never been difficult to catch. The other day the person who looks after him went to bring him in could not catch him as he set off cantering. In the end it took 3 people to catch him. They thought it was hilarious. Back to his normal slow self

smolmaus

Visit site
Confirmed all 4 legs attached, none of them swollen to balloons.

See below gate, what she was being asked to jump, and lovely concrete that she would have met face first if she had caught her front legs.
2npg2hxl.jpeg

smolmaus

Visit site
More zoom zooms from Sadie and her wee pal.

This one is blooper reel.
Again this pony is making a dick out of me. They had popped over this very sweetly several times and had plenty of room to run out the other side but as soon as the camera comes out the chaos begins. She is 100% fine, those wings weigh basically nothing.

We also did our first tiny long reining session round the yard and she got the idea very quickly. Another very experienced friend was starting her off and also got caught out when she pretended she was doing a lovely wee stretch into the contact but was actually nabbing loose hay from the ground. I love her so much.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Can I say something really controversial here? Maybe it should be part of the 'cancellation' thread.

I do question the value of chasing horses around arenas, especially when one has jumped a five bar gate. Did the horse see it as fun, or was she attempting to get out of a situation? I don't know many horses who will just jump a big gate/fence for the hell of it. They are out there, but few and far between. When Hermosa jumped a four-foot fence, she was under a lot of pressure, trying to get away from another horse. She has zero interest in jumping four-foot fences for the craic.

Have I chased horses around an arena? Sure. Many times (no one tried to jump out). But looking back on it, I am not sure what I was trying to achieve, or if the horses actually found it fun. For a prey animal, it might not be. In the video, the human is keeping the horses moving by making herself bigger whenever they start to slow down. I know dogs will zoom around for fun, and horses do to some extent (I rarely see the adult mares playing like this; the geldings engage in more galloping about, interspersed with stallion play), but as prey animals, highly responsive and reactive to any pressure, can it ever be fun 'zoomies' when the human is keeping them moving? What would the horse do if you let her loose in the arena, then just sat down and read a book? If the horse gallops about, then fair enough!

Chasing them for the purpose of join-up has its uses in certain situations, and liberty work is obviously a whole 'nother discipline, but otherwise, I dunno. It was never something I questioned either, but I did start to question it.

Last edited:

TheSubwayDino

Visit site

Aw! Hope she's alright ???

smolmaus

Visit site
Can I say something really controversial here? Maybe it should be part of the 'cancellation' thread.

I do question the value of chasing horses around arenas, especially when one has jumped a five bar gate. Did the horse see it as fun, or was she attempting to get out of a situation? I don't know many horses who will just jump a big gate/fence for the hell of it. They are out there, but few and far between. When Hermosa jumped a four-foot fence, she was under a lot of pressure, trying to get away from another horse. She has zero interest in jumping four-foot fences for the craic.

Have I chased horses around an arena? Sure. Many times (no one tried to jump out). But looking back on it, I am not sure what I was trying to achieve, or if the horses actually found it fun. For a prey animal, it might not be. In the video, the human is keeping the horses moving by making herself bigger whenever they start to slow down. I know dogs will zoom around for fun, and horses do to some extent (I rarely see the adult mares playing like this; the geldings engage in more galloping about, interspersed with stallion play), but as prey animals, highly responsive and reactive to any pressure, can it ever be fun 'zoomies' when the human is keeping them moving? What would the horse do if you let her loose in the arena, then just sat down and read a book? If the horse gallops about, then fair enough!

Chasing them for the purpose of join-up has its uses in certain situations, and liberty work is obviously a whole 'nother discipline, but otherwise, I dunno. It was never something I questioned either, but I did start to question it.
Absolutely fair Caol Ila! No cancellation required! She jumped the gate to get to this gelding, I wasn't putting pressure on her at the time, I was 15-20m away with my arms by my sides. I have replayed the incident a hundred times and I am positive I didn't ask her to jump that gate on purpose or by accident. But "Jesus how hard was she chasing her" has been a question that's definitely been floating about here because I do free school and she's known to be a lazy brat so absolutely fair enough you'd think the same thing. I haven't had her loose in the arena by herself since and probably won't again tbh, she's here for him (as he is supposed to be the anxious boy) and for a bit of movement as they're still not out at grass.

90% of any chasing was to keep them from just munching at the verges. Canter was offered today, sometimes they do just have a little trot around, roll a few times and then ask to come in. Sadie absolutely likes to be chased though, if that's not a mare thing I don't know what to tell you, she had a weird upbringing. If she doesn't want to move to pressure what my friend is doing there isn't going to cut it!

smolmaus

Visit site
you can free school in the same way as lunging/with voice commands so less chase-y if you're worried about judgement from people.
I'm not particularly lol but ty Cowrie. That is exactly what I use it for normally, but I won't say Sadie never needs something swooshed at her arse to get her moving. The video above wasn't free schooling like, it was trying to get some of the beans out of them. Mr Buddy there needs it more than Sadie does or he goes a bit cuckoo and he's less stressed if she's there with him.

smolmaus

Visit site
You've done a great job getting the weight off her! You've put my efforts to shame.

How old is she, by the way?
Best estimate is 8!

The bigger mares in the paddock have done the work for me by hogging the haynets and keeping her moving lol the real work will be keeping it off this summer. If anyone ever sees a picture in this thread again that looks like the first I want someone to come beat me with a stick.

palo1

Visit site
She certainly is half the pony!! Well done, she looks great. :) Is she big enough for you to ride (not sure if that was your intention sorry!) if you want to? Are you hoping/planning to back and ride her away this summer? It would be great for her in terms of maintaining her healthy weight. She is a very nice looking pony too!!

smolmaus

Visit site
She certainly is half the pony!! Well done, she looks great. :) Is she big enough for you to ride (not sure if that was your intention sorry!) if you want to? Are you hoping/planning to back and ride her away this summer? It would be great for her in terms of maintaining her healthy weight. She is a very nice looking pony too!!
Just about! She has a nice big barrel and I'm only 5'2" so I do fit, I just won't want to be packing on too many pounds or jumping too many grand prixs ?

She's taken to long reining very nicely so far (bar being an opinionated little brat about it but that's just who she is) so hoping to get her out on little hacks from the ground in the next few weeks and then we will start doing some ridden stuff.

We got "ARE YOU SURE SHE WASNT BACKED BEFORE" yelled across the yard last night by one of the girls who is having to work a lot harder with her big fancy warm blood 5yo which I am taking as a big compliment ?

palo1

Visit site
Just about! She has a nice big barrel and I'm only 5'2" so I do fit, I just won't want to be packing on too many pounds or jumping too many grand prixs ?

She's taken to long reining very nicely so far (bar being an opinionated little brat about it but that's just who she is) so hoping to get her out on little hacks from the ground in the next few weeks and then we will start doing some ridden stuff.

We got "ARE YOU SURE SHE WASNT BACKED BEFORE" yelled across the yard last night by one of the girls who is having to work a lot harder with her big fancy warm blood 5yo which I am taking as a big compliment ?

Sounds like a great plan. I imagine that you will have a lovely ridden pony within your timescale. She looks big enough for a 5'2 adult for sure!! Exciting times ahead and it is great that she has some 'attitude' as that is part of pony charm. Lucky pony too. :)

smolmaus

Visit site
They are finally out in the field to go feral.

Don't @ me about weight gain and grazing muzzles, I'm already having stress dreams.

Little poppet let me pull a snuggy hood over her face when I didnt realise JUST how tight that head hole was and she was blind for a good while. At the field gate and everything. An angel. I dont deserve her.

Shes rubbed a 1.5" section of mane out a day after being very thoroughly deosect-ed but we forgive. We can hog it.

smolmaus

Visit site
This pony is taking to long reining like a duck to water. She improves so much every time we try it, she is trying to stay focused despite her buddy yelling for her from the field, she never says no she just has a wee think first. She is the only sensible one in her field at all, the rest of them are so hopped up on fresh grass they've lost their damn minds. I had a baby tb, an overweight sports horse and her neurotic cob friend cantering circles round us the other day when I came to get her and she just stood beside me like an angel. She is a JOY, I would die for her and look how goddamn beautiful she is! ?

MKN3OEVl.jpeg

chaps89

Visit site
This pony is taking to long reining like a duck to water. She improves so much every time we try it, she is trying to stay focused despite her buddy yelling for her from the field, she never says no she just has a wee think first. She is the only sensible one in her field at all, the rest of them are so hopped up on fresh grass they've lost their damn minds. I had a baby tb, an overweight sports horse and her neurotic cob friend cantering circles round us the other day when I came to get her and she just stood beside me like an angel. She is a JOY, I would die for her and look how goddamn beautiful she is! ?

MKN3OEVl.jpeg
That’s a lovely photo and you’re obviously smitten with her!

smolmaus

Visit site
From the look on her face she thinks you are pretty wonderful too ?
Her auntie took that one ? I don't have any eye for photography at all so its safe to assume all the very nice ones have been sent to me!

I caught her sleeping last week, all of them apart from the Anxiety Monster Gelding who makes a great lookout. They were all very happy to have a doze while I sat and enjoyed the sunshine and took videos for their mothers
jV1tiy9l.jpeg