So what has British Eventing done wrong?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Wow that statement from Somerford 😳

I wonder if their frustration is partly fuelled by being stripped of their grassroots event, despite their longstanding support for BE?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Wow that statement from Somerford 😳

I wonder if their frustration is partly fuelled by being stripped of their grassroots event, despite their longstanding support for BE?
I don't think they were "stripped" of it, but they wouldn't commit to running it under current Ts and C's - at least, that's how I read it.

The irony to me is that despite it being a great event and very local, my older horse detests their surface (despite it technically being a great surface...), so if there's anywhere else taking on the 2* or intermediate classes in the north it might suit us better, personally
🤦

But it is still a very big loss.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
They seem to see it as being stripped. They have said they cancelled last year for lack of entries, cancelled the year before due to weather and therefore were not given the date back. But had a reliable record of running prior to that.

They also say in their comments that they are reviewing the ‘never unaff’ decision.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
They seem to see it as being stripped. They have said they cancelled last year for lack of entries, cancelled the year before due to weather and therefore were not given the date back. But had a reliable record of running prior to that.

They also say in their comments that they are reviewing the ‘never unaff’ decision.
Running unaff can only ever be a short term fix to the problem - particularly for Somerford which must do far better financially for having the farm ride and camps open all the time than it is for prepping and hosting an unaff event which won't attract the same levels of sponsorship nor paying spectators and also necessitates shutting down all other activities for a long weekend.

Sadly I think the climate and long term changes to it are the single biggest threats to our sport - got to have a better long term strategy for this than currently exists.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Running unaff can only ever be a short term fix to the problem - particularly for Somerford which must do far better financially for having the farm ride and camps open all the time than it is for prepping and hosting an unaff event which won't attract the same levels of sponsorship nor paying spectators and also necessitates shutting down all other activities for a long weekend.

Sadly I think the climate and long term changes to it are the single biggest threats to our sport - got to have a better long term strategy for this than currently exists.

I don’t know what the answer is. It’s very sad though.

Squeak

Visit site
Eventing really, really didn't need this weather this year. It's sad to hear of events cancelling when the weather seems to be on the turn as it indicates the much longer and deeper issue/s.

And wow the comments from Somerford certainly make it clear that they feel there are serious issues.

I don't know what the answer is either. Even if we bring back abandonment insurance for all events it will probably make entries prohibitively expensive after this year.

Although.... How much do BE have to answer for all this... They're (unfortunately) not an efficient, well run organisation if they were would we see the benefit in that from lower entry fees, having a better calendar so hopefully less events suffering from low entries, they could have postponed or swapped or something some of the cancelled events. Somerford are also making it clear that the events aren't getting their support, which must also be making everything harder and more expensive and unfortunately they have treated people (of many and varying categories) badly. So how much is BE's fault and how much is the change in the climate and long term changes responsible? Maybe with better organisation there is a future for eventing as we know it? Maybe it's all such a mess because it's a mess at the top.

It's very easy to sit and criticise though, that's really not my intention with this post, it's genuinely looking at what is the root cause and what would we need to change.

Michen

Visit site
Well I have no faith in the American eventing governing body at the moment. Our air quality at the moment is terrible in Denver and surrounding areas- 182 due to wildfires in Canada, dropped to 176 so maybe it will continue quickly. 150 is deemed not acceptable to be exercising horses in. Upon speaking with the organizer they planning on running whatever the number.

Well I hope I wake up and it’s much better but the fact they’d run regardless is IMO terrible.

Appreciate this is USEF not USEA but still same science.

D00257E1-7A58-4FAB-BA0D-D44DC83D1A5E.jpeg
9975CFBD-CEC8-4AEE-AB0C-2F68A7A95E77.jpeg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

STATEMENT FROM BRITISH EVENTING CHAIR, MARK SARTORI​

Due to the extreme weather challenges currently facing our calendar and the ramifications of so many lost events, British Eventing is working with the FEI, organisers, owners and riders to address the many issues our members are facing.
We are listening to our membership but need clarity from the FEI on replacement classes as well as working with our organisers on key issues such as abandonment insurance. We will be updating our membership as soon as possible. It’s vital that we work with all our stakeholders during this period and keep our membership informed.
Thank you
Mark

lannerch

Visit site
I realised that Llany had a clash with Solihull UA as well as Aston so possibly very much not helped by scheduling?

It was interesting to look at the eventing scores analysis of Llany compared to Aston. Llany had ~ 70% clear xc, Aston had ~ 90%. So is it also another where softer tracks are being favoured? Maybe exacerbated by the cancellation of events and interruption of preparation?

Is it even right that events are getting 90% clear xc? Does it mean that the courses are too soft?
I always avoid llany because of the ground I’ve been there when it’s hard and uneven due to hardened hoof prints in the dried out soft.

Unfortunately I think I’m not the only one , things may be different now but I avoid as just not worth the risk .

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We don't event particularly but love watching the sport, so sad to see what's happening and feel desperately sorry for everyone who competes 😢

We live near-ish to Berriwood and was really surprised with them cancelling so far ahead, I think a lot of people were annoyed that there wasn't a warning of the lower entries first....that would have potentially prompted people to enter ahead of time, rather than just cancel 3 weeks away. Can understand people wanting to wait for payday! It's also peak exam season for a lot of younger riders so understandably they may have other priorities!

It does look very hard for people that compete in this sport now, I do hope something changes soon x

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its not just the weather thats the issue though, up in Scotland I dont think theyve cancelled any events - not that there's many anymore. We've lost so many events over the years. My nearest BE is 2 hours away which for an amateur like me who has kids etc. and therefore quite limited time, I dont want to waste hours just travelling anymore. I used to have 5 or 6 BE venues I can think of within a 2 hour drive but they've all gone. BE have done nothing to support and encourage venues. They have certainly done nothing to try and encourage new venues.

From my perspective, the biggest issue I have now with even considering entering BE is losing my entry fee if it cancels. I cant afford to lose it, as neither can I assume many others. I dont know what the answer is to this. What was the system before? I cant remember how much money we used to get back say 10 years ago?

I honestly feel now is the time for an unaffiliated group to step in and run things like the Cotswold Cup but nationwide.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I don't event....or compete at anything....but I've been reading this thread with interest.

It does seem that the current situation is completely mad.

If I've got this right, venues give a decently long period of time to enter an event. However, long before the entry period is up, events are being cancelled due to low entries.

However, as a rider, and with most venues not carrying abandonment insurance, and therefore not refunding or only partly refunding riders if the event is called off, riders are understandably leaving entries late so they can assess weather/ground conditions.

What an absolutely crazy situation, and I feel for riders who are now missing out on competing at the sport they love due to everything being cancelled!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think having a shorter window for entering, accepting it on first come first served (full members open day before GoBE?), and closing closer to the event would entice more people in. Unaff seems to work just fine on this basis.

Yes this! I was doing Speetley so this is a real shame. And Staffrd has on;y survived by the skin of its teeth.

Squeak

Visit site
I think having a shorter window for entering, accepting it on first come first served (full members open day before GoBE?), and closing closer to the event would entice more people in. Unaff seems to work just fine on this basis.

Agree, I think this is the way forwards, it makes it all a lot more transparent.

palo1

Visit site
Well I have no faith in the American eventing governing body at the moment. Our air quality at the moment is terrible in Denver and surrounding areas- 182 due to wildfires in Canada, dropped to 176 so maybe it will continue quickly. 150 is deemed not acceptable to be exercising horses in. Upon speaking with the organizer they planning on running whatever the number.

Well I hope I wake up and it’s much better but the fact they’d run regardless is IMO terrible.

Appreciate this is USEF not USEA but still same science.

View attachment 113907
View attachment 113909

Yes, that is worrying - what is the justification for running in those conditions? Is there a reasonable expectation and experience that air quality will rapidly improve?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Ugh, it's just tragic the entry situation :( it's hard to see the pathway for progressing my youngster with everything cancelling around me. I'm prepping him for (hopefully) a progression to the upper levels. Can't do that without solid availability of lower level stuff. But because the other horse is Nov/Int level, I'm generally looking for events that can cater for both. Else I'm doubling my mileage and expenses going to different stuff. A disconnected separate way of running sport will be such a step backwards - but the current reality is not working at all.

Michen

Visit site
Yes, that is worrying - what is the justification for running in those conditions? Is there a reasonable expectation and experience that air quality will rapidly improve?

It is SO localised and they kept saying it's fine here etc, yet I was looking at their nearest station reading know it was not. The readings from one station 2 miles away can be totally different though. I went down in the end as I wasn't on until 1.30 and decided to see what the air quality was by the time I'd got there and it was well under the 150 so I was happy.

But the horses that ran in the morning first thing, that was way over :(

I was pretty shocked tbh!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ugh, it's just tragic the entry situation :( it's hard to see the pathway for progressing my youngster with everything cancelling around me. I'm prepping him for (hopefully) a progression to the upper levels. Can't do that without solid availability of lower level stuff. But because the other horse is Nov/Int level, I'm generally looking for events that can cater for both. Else I'm doubling my mileage and expenses going to different stuff. A disconnected separate way of running sport will be such a step backwards - but the current reality is not working at all.

It must be incredibly frustrating for those wanting to progress. Not sure what the answer is though. I simply don’t understand why entries are low when so many have been cancelled?

conniegirl

Visit site
It must be incredibly frustrating for those wanting to progress. Not sure what the answer is though. I simply don’t understand why entries are low when so many have been cancelled?
Because people are on a shoestring at the moment and can’t really take the risk of it not running and them not getting a refund or are waiting for refunds from other events.
Or they may just have given it up as a bad job for this year.