So what has British Eventing done wrong?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
The only comparison to racing I made was that some horses prefer different types of ground. Obviously pretty much everything else is different.
I have one whose jump and movement is exponentially changed on sticky going. She is very careful behind so always is going to pitch herself slightly on her nose so in sticky going she gives up as her front end can become stuck but she also loves the hard as skips along in her natural way of going so isn’t hard on herself. She is only a 100 horse so already I take this into account when choosing venues. Being the quixotic creature that she is and likely to give up in conditions she doesn’t like, I am quite careful with her. She isn’t one who will fight for you and dig deep.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I think IHW has said what I think, really. By changing the test, the training and fittening has also changed, as has the type of horse and focus on schooling.

The falls I saw at Badminton were not rotational. Was the fall at Chatsworth?

I think the changes have taken years, as they would be to return the courses to big and bold XC and technical SJ.

The falls at Chatsworth weren't rotational over the big table - they were horse falls from horses who failed to make the full height/spread of a big table at the end of the course. There was one rotational over a roll-top on a mound where the horse appeared to just totally misjudge the fence - it had a kind profile, so wasn't what you'd expect to see.

Squeak

Visit site
In terms of riding on surfaces and only good ground these days, I think we're a lot more careful of our horses and more aware of the damage that can be done by bad ground. I think this may only increase with improved veterinary diagnostics, social licence and the increase in the price of horses and living.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Are youngsters being raised with longevity in mind? Felix is growing up out 24/7 on a hill. It's not rocky or particularly steep. He canters up and down it a lot and plays. There is a drystone wall separating 2 fields with a wide gap but sometimes he jumps over instead of using the gap, if he's heading for me in a straight line. (Making a bee-line for the Bringer of Carrots!)

I think that ligaments, tendons, bones, balance, proprioception etc develop correctly in that kind of environment, so it's a good set up for a future event horse. But the land was turned down by 3 friends for their foals (one of whom events to 3*) because of fear of injury on rough ground. Or was I the reckless one and got lucky that nothing happened to Felix and his pal?

claracanter

Visit site
I would prefer to go back to the bigger, bolder courses of old. Yes, there could be accidents, yes, horses could fall. But then, at least the horses could work out the problems and had half a chance of the fall not being a complete somersault from not reading the question.

The technicality is tested in SJ, I think XC should be for galloping and jumping. At the moment, it is all about technicality.

I also think a rider has to have responsibility for themselves. They get a chance to walk the actual course, then feel how it is riding. Uf you think the test is unfair, then pull up, for goodness' sake!
They could still have big bold galloping fences and use frangible fences to prevent the horse falls
I agree the xc is too technical. How many times do you see a curving line to a skinny, so dull.
Unfortunately I think it’s the thin end of the wedge and I can quite easily see a time when it’s no longer an Olympic sport

LEC

Visit site
It’s unbelievable isn’t it
Not really, the 2* isn’t particularly needed for Qs and Nunney which is about an hour away runs 2/3*. There are lots of opportunities to run 2* and 3* to get the qualifications before the next long which is Hartpury.

There is also a lot of issues about Bicton and the way the have bypassed the systems to get handed the International in the first place.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The falls at Chatsworth weren't rotational over the big table - they were horse falls from horses who failed to make the full height/spread of a big table at the end of the course. There was one rotational over a roll-top on a mound where the horse appeared to just totally misjudge the fence - it had a kind profile, so wasn't what you'd expect to see.

I've seen the video now and have changed my mind about the vocally complaining rider having a point. The horse looked knackered and I think needed pulling up.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I know it is easier for us in Ireland as we are only running 2 events each week and they are managed centrally for entries etc
But last Thursday we had an event called off for the Sat as the deluge of rain descended
The following week's event is on notoriously wet ground which had also just hosted a P2P and was deemed unlikely to recover within the 9 days required, even with good weather forecast
So entries for event 1 were refunded, and it was rescheduled to the following week which couldn't run anyway, and everyone made a fresh entry.
They ended up with more entries than they originally had and at least people got one run out of the two

Our smaller geography obviously makes this easier - but the key is having a central organising team keen to run for the members wherever that run can be.
I feel so sorry for people in england chasing quals, especially junior and pony people who have their backs to the wall in terms of timescale for teams etc
And also people now awaiting refunds from 3 or 4 places meaning their funds are tied up

If parking is one of the bigger issues then maybe those bidding for early season events should be able to demonstrate more hard standing or really dry parking fields
30 years ago most people didn't arrive in 26t lorries with double pop outs etc

Squeak

Visit site
Just seen on FB that Berriewood have cancelled their event in June mainly due to insufficient entries at this point.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
And lots of posts from people who were in the process of entering or who were waiting til pay day to do so 😬.

Competitors and venues are having a very difficult time.

I think competitors do need to recognise that they can't leave things till last minute. Venues have to know they are likely to be viable a long way out, befire they start spending big money. Having said that, I have not seen any 'decision to run' posts from them. Speetkey are still trying to drum up interest and Stafford have been very visible in seeking entries.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Because if everyone does that, then the event gets pulled. Maybe the alternative is an earlier closing date. Or a pre-published 'Decision to Run' date?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
When we did it, it was an U18s venue which I'm sure boosted entries considerably, as you needed 3 good runs to be considered for selection asnd there weren't all that many to choose from.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
When we did it, it was an U18s venue which I'm sure boosted entries considerably, as you needed 3 good runs to be considered for selection asnd there weren't all that many to choose from.

Runs have been scant for people looking to get their 2x DCs to get to go to a regional to qualify for Bramham/Badminton - so if that's an aim, people need to be out there running at BE events rather than unaff runs.

Squeak

Visit site
Berriewood wasn't even running affiliated this year - it was running as an unaffiliated, but that generated less entries than before.

Ah I'd thought I'd seen it on the BE calendar for some reason - not so bad for BE specifically then but still interesting/ not great for eventing as a sport.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Ah, Berriewood has run BE events last year and previously, so I also presumed that their FB post was about a BE event.

Though I'm not sure whether the 2022 BE event ran or was cancelled.

It ran, because I had a nice DC and placing in the 90 with my youngster! It didn't attract great entries though, which was a shame as was a nice little educational track at 90 level with a few questions that used natural terrain and obstacles (through a hole in a wall as an unmarked obstacle was an interesting one!)

claracanter

Visit site
Because if everyone does that, then the event gets pulled. Maybe the alternative is an earlier closing date. Or a pre-published 'Decision to Run' date?
Maybe this year people need their refunds paid out before they can afford the entry for another event as there have been so many abandonments. It would be good if there was a central system that could transfer the entries.

TheMule

Visit site
Somerford cancelled now too

And with a very interesting statement that is fairly damning:

Somerford Park International Horse Trials 2023

It is with great consideration and regret that we are cancelling Somerford International Horse Trials 2023.

We have come to this decision for the following reasons, firstly and most concerning is the Insurance situation, Somerford is not prepared to run without abandonment insurance including the adverse weather policy.

Having built up a trust with our client base over several years we are not prepared to jeopardise this and leave our clients out of pocket in a challenging economic climate.
We self-insured last year and due to the high volume of cancellations this year the cost for us to insure has escalated by over 100% and is proposed to increase by a further 26% next year.

Events are now expected to absorb more costs passed on from the governing bodies as well as the escalation in costs to stage an event.

We have always worked at generating sponsorship and have long standing mutually beneficial partnerships which were created to take the event forward, however this sponsorship money has now become the lifeline for the event to run.

Somerford has always produced the event as a showcase to reflect our business and has not had the expectation of running with financial surplus. We are now looking at the risk of a large financial loss at a level we are not prepared to absorb.

We would like to thank all of those who have supported Somerford Horse Trials, whether that be as a sponsor, rider, volunteer, trade stand or spectator over the years.

We hope this is not the end to eventing at Somerford and that some changes within the governing body can be made to protect and improve the sport we all love.

Somerford Park Farm

LEC

Visit site
I don’t get the Somerford reply. Why not just be straight and say we don’t have abandonment as never in a million years expected it and now it’s crazy expensive. That way people can decide what they are going to do. Tbh if a venue like Somerford is struggling with its facilities then all events for rest of year are doomed. Luckily we can just run 150x at Aston.

After all riders voted for this…

teapot

Visit site
I don’t get the Somerford reply. Why not just be straight and say we don’t have abandonment as never in a million years expected it and now it’s crazy expensive. That way people can decide what they are going to do. Tbh if a venue like Somerford is struggling with its facilities then all events for rest of year are doomed. Luckily we can just run 150x at Aston.

After all riders voted for this…

We all know people voting for things doesn't always work out the way it was intended... Asking people if they wanted to save money on entries was only going to go one way imho!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
We all know people voting for things doesn't always work out the way it was intended... Asking people if they wanted to save money on entries was only going to go one way imho!

To be fair, I think we'd be stuffed either way after this spring - whether funded centrally or by events, the cost of abandonment insurance will skyrocket after this spring's disaster. I don't really have a solution to that, it's going to end up costing competitors and event organisers either way.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I honestly think events need to be postponing where possible rather than outright cancelling. Yes, I realize this may have an impact on other fixtures, but clashes are easily avoided with good planning and people's money is protected.
I totally agree, particularly at grassroots levels where people are looking for a local run, and are not wanting to drive the length and breadth of the country chasing qualifications.