So what has British Eventing done wrong?

LittleOwl

Visit site
That’s great to hear @LittleOwl - just to clarify I didn’t assume they wouldn’t be like at all, just highlighted the fact that some events are fabulous in part but not all aspects (which then reduces the fabulous element somewhat I feel). I just worded it badly :)
Absolutely- I should have also mentioned I’ve volunteered at some very fancy events where we were treated awfully.

The worst one (I think there was a thread dedicated to them a few weeks ago) had triple booked fence judges so we ended up hanging around waiting to see who had been chosen after arriving for an 8am briefing. There was then a very awkward selection process and people were either sent home or asked to stay until the afternoon to relieve the morning fence judges. They don’t run events anymore but I never offered my time to them again and recommended others didn’t either

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I think I am missing something as I was not picking up that Teapot was saying that Cornbury don't treat their volunteers well, just that it's important for events to remember provision for volunteers as well as for owners, competitors and spectators.

It's great to hear @LittleOwl experience that this does seem to be the case at Cornbury - I haven't come across mileage being covered so that is good as there are events I won't do as they are just that bit further out and the cost/reward balance shifts.

I have only volunteered at a few small events so far, Dauntsey was the biggest one I think, and so far so good. I don't need much other than a decent lunch and a friendly/welcoming vibe. The venue that came out on top so far definitely had those, and gave me a bottle of wine so I will absolutely go back to that one :D Course hire vouchers aren't much use to me as I have no horse to take and I'm not at a level to do that yet.

Dauntsey's main sponsor provided branded reusable water bottles which I thought was quite good. I wonder what a luxury brand goody bag for volunteers could look like? 😂

ETA - as this is the BE thread, unsure how BE vs. non-BE compare as I only have one non-BE event to compare with but so far BE probably a bit better from a volunteer PoV.

Last edited:

I'm Dun

Visit site
Anyone wanting to volunteer should try driving events. They treat you incredibly well and you usually get a goodie bag of treats to take home as well. The ones I've competed in expected each team to bring a small goody bag to give to a volunteer, which seemed a good way to do it. I think some of the BE events could take note of the way they treat volunteers and see if there's anything they could take away from that.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I just want to add that the British Open wasn’t sponsored this year and the prize fund for these top horses at the top level of the sport was £600. Last year it would have been £10k through Magic Millions sponsorship. I had to look up who Magic Millions were as Aussie but had a relationship with Zara and thus willing to sponsor Gatcombe. This prize money is huge in the sport for the owners and all the connections. £600 barely covers the entry and stabling.

teapot

Visit site
I just want to add that the British Open wasn’t sponsored this year and the prize fund for these top horses at the top level of the sport was £600. Last year it would have been £10k through Magic Millions sponsorship. I had to look up who Magic Millions were as Aussie but had a relationship with Zara and thus willing to sponsor Gatcombe. This prize money is huge in the sport for the owners and all the connections. £600 barely covers the entry and stabling.

It's an interesting point re the Open and the Magic Millions sponsorship as despite the prize pot, entries were dropping year on year, so what were the pros basing their decision to run on - ground vs venue vs course vs prize money? (31 entries in 2018, 20 in 2019, 19 in 2022 for reference, yet 36 at Hartpury last weekend).

Zara's been an ambassador for Magic Millions for over ten years now (and Mike Tindall is one too tbf) - they've done some really good youtube videos with them. Racing sponsor predominately, wonder if they do any Oz events?

Last edited:

LEC

Visit site
It's an interesting point re the Open and the Magic Millions sponsorship as despite the prize pot, entries were dropping year on year, so what were the pros basing their decision to run on - ground vs venue vs course vs prize money? (31 entries in 2018, 20 in 2019, 19 in 2022 for reference, yet 36 at Hartpury last weekend).

Zara's been an ambassador for Magic Millions for over ten years now (and Mike Tindall is one too tbf) - they've done some really good youtube videos with them. Racing sponsor predominately, wonder if they do any Oz events?
Hartpury was getting less entries so 4 years ago spent money on putting a huge irrigation system in so the ground is amazing all year round. Gatcombe did what they could but a lot of people didn’t like the ground as normally too hard. The 4* was designed for horses going off to Autumn 4* at Hartpury and open champs was designed for 5* hence the entries were good.

LEC

Visit site
So I am going to moan as BD does this a lot better!

Bicton Regional - £144 entry. No plaque.

Wellington 1* - £200 entry. No plaque.

A plaque is what £2 and they both are a little bit different and a milestone and it would be nice to match BD which always gives you a plaque for every regional and championship.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Agree, niece had a top 6 placing in the novice as Aston le Walls at the beginning of the month, 7 hour round trip, didn't even get a rosette, I know I'm out of touch but I think that's bit harsh! There should be something with those entry fees
No rosettes at Novice BE? Gosh, I'm out of touch too! That does seem rather penny pinching.

LEC

Visit site
Agree, niece had a top 6 placing in the novice as Aston le Walls at the beginning of the month, 7 hour round trip, didn't even get a rosette, I know I'm out of touch but I think that's bit harsh! There should be something with those entry fees
Will depend how many were in section but normally goes to 10th place unless a small section.

Chiffy

Visit site
Yes TPO, very exciting, within an hour of us, fantastic. Farming/ Eventing friends of ours. We go there regularly for lessons. So brave of them to take this on as we have lost the Cumbrian Events down the M6 except Frenchfield is being restarted too.

Reactions: TPO