Someone has been in my fields and has ridden my 3 yo

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I went down to the yard this afternoon to find the immaculate, fully fenced-off spring paddock full of divots, poo and a clear circular track where someone has clearly been walking the horses in a circle.

Both the pony and my only partly-backed 3yo have clear marks on their backs where they have been ridden- the only benefit of the mud is being able to tell who has been ridden. The shed with headcollars and feed isn’t padlocked but it’s bolted and clipped closed with a lead rein to pony-proof it. Lead rein was on the ground.

I don’t actually know what to do. I am genuinely lost for my next actions.

The fields can’t be seen from the road or any footpath but local villagers will know about the horses as it’s a tiny village and some do bring their children to the gate (literally down the private driveway to a private house) to see them. The owner of the retired horse (doesn’t appear to have been ridden but is a big ISH so looks more scary) has had people share or feed him over the years.

I can only presume that someone has decided their children can have a plod around on them. The pony is what you’d call a ‘competent child’s second or third pony’ but probably ok on a lead-rein and my lovely filly is incredibly gentle but honestly, at rising four and having been sat on a handful of times, anything could have happened.

How do I know if anyone was injured? If anyone was hurt am I liable? I can’t tell how it ended. My filly let me sit on her without an issue this evening so I am immensely proud of her.

How do I stop this happening again? How do I go to work tomorrow? Can I use cameras? Is that going to be horrifically expensive?

Sorry, I am so all over the place on this.

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
So sorry to hear that. People are utter idiots sometimes.

Sure someone will be along with a better idea but I believe you can get wildlife cameras that may catch anyone going into the field. I’m sure there was a thread on here. They are motion activated, record day and night vision. Other than that put up signs saying no trespassing, unfortunately that probably won’t stop the Entitled idiots tho.

bonny

Visit site
I suppose the main thing is that nothing appears to have gone wrong and the ponies are ok but you must be livid ......can the field not be seen by anyone ? I would look into cameras and put up signs saying they are there and lock the shed. Horrible situation for you.

Shay

Visit site
Cameras and signs. Sadly you would be liable if there was an injury. Any property owner is liable for injury caused to a trespasser (although a court might decide that the tresspasser's actions cuased or contributed to the extent that any award was minimal. Liability under the Animal Act for something done by your horse - whether you consented to the activity or not - is strict. It helps to reduce quantum if you have signs warning of danger - Horses are unpredicatable. Do not enter feild. etc. Although trespass is a civil offence (and really difficult to get the police interested in) theft and crimnal damage might be more compelling. But if you have CCTV you could bring a private civil prosecution - or at least threaten it. If you have sheep or other vulnerable livestock you are also entitiled to shoot people (or dogs) interefereing with them. Not horses sadly - perhaps co graze a sheep?!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’m looking after the older horse and the pony for the lady who owns them. She lives overseas so they are effectively my responsibility.

I have let her mother know, as I called to be 100% sure her mother hadn’t brought the grandchildren down but she hasn’t been down in weeks. I know it wouldn’t be her as she always calls ahead to ask if it’s ok, and would never ever ride my mare but I wanted to be sure before I leapt to conclusions.

paddy555

Visit site
well today is Sunday and there are kids you believe involved in riding so it appears likely if there is to be a repeat performance it will be at the week end now the holidays are over. So, I would suspect you are safe until next week end.

My friend arrived at her field (not at her house) to find her ponies upset, electric tape broken etc. Luckily they had a camera on the field, took the chip home and played it to find hounds were the cause of her problem. She then had the evidence to confront the hunt.
I would suggest you do the same. Don't lock the shed, leave everything as it is and sort out a camera by next week (I have no idea what sort) and then set it up and try for a repeat performance. If you can get a camera you can view on your mobile then you may be able to keep checking and get down smartish to catch them in the act.
I would make sure you have insurance in place just in case.

bonny

Visit site
Bloody hell! Why are people such entitled and ignorant [insert word of choice]?!

CCTV? Lots of signs saying you'll take legal action? If it's a small village then get thr rumour mill going about your cousin-once-removed who's coming and s/he is not to be messed with.
Can you take legal action though ? There’s no point in threatening something that isn’t possible and you would need to find out the legal position .

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Can you take legal action though ? There’s no point in threatening something that isn’t possible and you would need to find out the legal position .

No idea on the legalities, but then again 'someone coming' etc etc etc probably wouldn't be either - it's the dissuade angle rather than the reality.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Post on the local fb page saying they might die :p (and that cameras are now installed)

What about...

Dear Trespassers

This is a private field, containing privately owned horses.

These horses are not here for you to execute your attempts at self-harm by climbing on the back of 400kg animal of unknown training and temperament.

If you are returning, it is clear that my horses are too mannerly to remove you from the gene pool. I assure you, I am not.

I am very protective of my hobbies which include looking after my horses, building complex surveillance systems, shooting moving targets at a distance, and long walks on the beach.

Please consider your options carefully and contact a riding school.

paddy555

Visit site
What about...

Dear Trespassers

This is a private field, containing privately owned horses.

These horses are not here for you to execute your attempts at self-harm by climbing on the back of 400kg animal of unknown training and temperament.

If you are returning, it is clear that my horses are too mannerly to remove you from the gene pool. I assure you, I am not.

I am very protective of my hobbies which include looking after my horses, building complex surveillance systems, shooting moving targets at a distance, and long walks on the beach.

Please consider your options carefully and contact a riding school.

possibly not. :D:D:D:D:D:D

your comments are only going to encourage someone even more. If they are doing this they will probably just think "arrogant cow, F*** Off.

I think you need to catch them and cameras are the only way.
I would post and ask for advice on cameras suitable for your situation (signal etc)

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I went down to the yard this afternoon to find the immaculate, fully fenced-off spring paddock full of divots, poo and a clear circular track where someone has clearly been walking the horses in a circle.

Both the pony and my only partly-backed 3yo have clear marks on their backs where they have been ridden- the only benefit of the mud is being able to tell who has been ridden. The shed with headcollars and feed isn’t padlocked but it’s bolted and clipped closed with a lead rein to pony-proof it. Lead rein was on the ground.

I don’t actually know what to do. I am genuinely lost for my next actions.

The fields can’t be seen from the road or any footpath but local villagers will know about the horses as it’s a tiny village and some do bring their children to the gate (literally down the private driveway to a private house) to see them. The owner of the retired horse (doesn’t appear to have been ridden but is a big ISH so looks more scary) has had people share or feed him over the years.

I can only presume that someone has decided their children can have a plod around on them. The pony is what you’d call a ‘competent child’s second or third pony’ but probably ok on a lead-rein and my lovely filly is incredibly gentle but honestly, at rising four and having been sat on a handful of times, anything could have happened.

How do I know if anyone was injured? If anyone was hurt am I liable? I can’t tell how it ended. My filly let me sit on her without an issue this evening so I am immensely proud of her.

How do I stop this happening again? How do I go to work tomorrow? Can I use cameras? Is that going to be horrifically expensive?

Sorry, I am so all over the place on this.

I would be furious. Firstly a big sign needs to be put up at the start of the drive clearly stating ‘Private Property. No Public Access. Secondly all tack rooms/feed rooms need to be padlocked. Thirdly, a sign stating CCTV is installed. Fourthly, a serious amount of covert snooping to find out who the hell has the nerve to do such a thing and lastly, if the culprits are discovered, a visit to enlighten them.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Post on the local fb page saying they might die :p (and that cameras are now installed)
Yup, this. A local near me posted on the 2 most local village groups, along the lines of:

Dear local parents, do you know where your children were today? Please be aware that children have TODAY been seen breaking and entering, trespassing, and sitting on ponies that have not yet been trained to do so.
All of this has been caught on the on site cameras.
We will not hesitate to prosecute if this happens again. Please also be aware that any injury sustained whilst on the premises will be at their risk, any injury to the ponies will see me not just prosecuting but seeking financial recompense for damages.

It worked, never happened again. She's always had CCTV signs up tho, like I do.

scats

Visit site
I’m absolutely livid on your behalf!! Aside from the fact that the idiot could have hurt themselves, your beautiful 3-year old could have potentially been put in a situation that might have caused her a great amount of stress and caused you future problems in the backing process.
What is it with this culture of people just thinking they can have and do what the hell they like???

This happened locally to me a couple of years back. Teenagers climbed into a livery yard field and proceeded to start leaping on various horses backs. They were stupid enough to film themselves and put it all over social media, so names were found.

If I were you I would get CCTV installed ASAP and some signs made, although, to be honest, it would scare me enough to actually consider moving if I were you.

PurBee

Visit site

PurBee

Visit site
Depending on the fencing situation to the fields, you can get ‘vandal paint’ which is like a sticky tar, which never dries, so as people grab the fence to climb over they get the stuff all over their hands and leave forensic fingerprints.

Have a line of electric fencing within that so horses dont get it on them. But most horses tbh wouldnt be interested in it, and leave it alone.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Have recently done a lot of research into cameras as have a mare due to foal this spring. I bought one from eBay for £75 but have had to buy power lead, sim and memory card for it and set up myself if I had known before I would have bought one from equi optic on Facebook they are doing the same one I've got but set up ready for £135 at the moment. They use a leisure battery for power and a sim card can view footage on an app on your phone and also record to memory card. Solar equestrian do similar but powered by solar panel. My friend has one from Rydale horse monitor which can pan round she loves it and has it set so she can see her whole small holding, she even used it to check the horses in the fields on bonfire night. It is around the £400 mark though. I would get one up asap along with cctv signs and private property etc etc. A post to village facebook group would also let you know you're on to them!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's an age old problem, I remember having a school assembly in primary because some kids had been riding some horses in a field (belonging to one of the mums).
Local fb does get around and those that know nothing generally don't understand the possible danger.