Someone has been in my fields and has ridden my 3 yo

rascal

Visit site
We had someone ride our horses years ago, in the end we moved them.
I would be padlocking your shed so they can not get head collars. I would also post on local facebook that there are now cameras up, and if anyone gets hurt you are not liable for any injuries.

Daughter of the Moor

Visit site
If you have sheep or other vulnerable livestock you are also entitiled to shoot people (or dogs) interefereing with them.

You can't go around shooting people - however much you may want to!

canteron

Visit site
Sorry didn’t explain. It’s more about documenting you have taken steps to try and limit the risk.
It does depend on the person you get - but they can give very good advice on security. Rural crime is a big issue at the moment and they are taking it more seriously.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Have you notified the police??

You can get notices at places like Wickes/builders/agricultural outlets saying that "CCTV in use" or words to that effect. I'd get a few and stick them up in conspicuous places. You can also (as others have said) get wildlife cameras, don't know if they're battery operated or what, but you need to be able to capture number plate images if people are bringing cars.

Re. insurance, if these are your horses, I'd get something fixed up pronto, for the exigency of people trespassing onto your land and getting hurt in the process. I've got it for my place, anyone running a yard nowadays, or farming, needs to unfortunately.

Bleddi people!

Hanno Verian

Visit site
There hasn't, sadly, been any crime committed so you would have trouble getting a crime number. I doubt a track in the grass will count as criminal damage, the horse isn't hurt, nothing has been stolen and trespass is a civil offence.

I completely disagree about there not being a crime committed, you might find that its "Aggravated Trespass" which is a criminal offence, saying its OK, is like agreeing that its OK to use someones car without their permission but fine as long as they dont damage it and return it?
I would be looking for legal advice about what aspects are criminal offences and then heading to the police to report it armed with details of the offences committed and make them take it seriously. The default position by the police might well be that "Its not a criminal offence" but that's when doing your homework comes in.
I would be locking everything away and putting a wildlife camera in to establish is it just kids or are adults involved.. you do not have to accept this.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I would have thought padlocks on the gates, so,e dummy cameras and signs, and a nice big sign saying ‘please do not enter the field‘, would suffice and be cheap and easy for you to do.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
saying its OK

Nobody on this thread has said it was OK, Hanno Verian!

You have suggested that the criminal offence of aggravated trespass has been committed. Nothing the OP has described meets the criteria for that offence:

https://greenandblackcross.org/guides/laws/5-trespass-aggravated-trespass/

You are insistent that a criminal offence has been committed that the police can be forced to act on. I have gone through the two tables of criminal offences involving trespass and I can't find one. What offence do you think has been committed?

Last edited:

canteron

Visit site

You have suggested that the criminal offence of aggravated trespass has been committed. Nothing the OP has described meets the criteria for that offence:

You are insistent that a criminal offence has been committed that the police can be forced to act on. I have gone through the two tables of criminal offences involving trespass and I can't find one. What offence do you think has been committed?

OK YCBM I think you are chasing the wrong monkey.
So to explain the potential advantages more fully, rural crime is on the increase and the police in my experience are happy to give security advice even before a crime is committed ... crime prevention is an issue.
Secondly, the OP was concerned about liability and in that case you need to demonstrate responsibility and taking advice is key - even if the police choose not to help you have visibly demonstrated effort.
Thirdly, if it is errant youngsters and you are lucky enough to have a good local policeman (and despite the Daily Mail headlines they exists in large quantities) they sometimes put it into a larger picture and can have a quiet word - this has happened for me with a gun happy gamekeeper!!!
Getting a conviction is, I agree, incredibly unlikely, but not really an objective!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
OK YCBM I think you are chasing the wrong monkey.
So to explain the potential advantages more fully, rural crime is on the increase and the police in my experience are happy to give security advice even before a crime is committed ... crime prevention is an issue.
Secondly, the OP was concerned about liability and in that case you need to demonstrate responsibility and taking advice is key - even if the police choose not to help you have visibly demonstrated effort.
Thirdly, if it is errant youngsters and you are lucky enough to have a good local policeman (and despite the Daily Mail headlines they exists in large quantities) they sometimes put it into a larger picture and can have a quiet word - this has happened for me with a gun happy gamekeeper!!!
Getting a conviction is, I agree, incredibly unlikely, but not really an objective!

It's not me chasing monkeys ?

Security advice is a complete different issue to demanding a crime number when no crime has been committed.

I also find the police more than happy to get involved with anything where a gun is involved.

sky1000

Visit site
I agree with the advice to take legal advice to see if any sort of crime has been committed, and, armed with that, to go to the police (if indeed a crime has been committed). I would be looking from the point of view of a valuable 3 year old who was being carefully backed being ridden and probably damaged.

hellfire

Visit site
What about...

Dear Trespassers

This is a private field, containing privately owned horses.

These horses are not here for you to execute your attempts at self-harm by climbing on the back of 400kg animal of unknown training and temperament.

If you are returning, it is clear that my horses are too mannerly to remove you from the gene pool. I assure you, I am not.

I am very protective of my hobbies which include looking after my horses, building complex surveillance systems, shooting moving targets at a distance, and long walks on the beach.

Please consider your options carefully and contact a riding school.

love it!!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

OH is on the case re cameras. Who knew there were so many options!

We’ve put bicycle locks on all gates and sheds, and OH is going to carve a wooden “private property, no entry” sign for the entrance.

Filly doesn’t appear any worse for wear but she does have the temperament of a Labrador puppy so I am very fortunate in that regard.

We do have public liability insurance and the farm has liability insurance to cover the land.

I have removed access to anything that will catch them (lead reins / halters etc) and I have spoken to all the neighbours, and anyone who has previously had any interaction with the older horse has been texted by his owner.

I’m not happy but I’m counting my blessings in that it doesn’t appear that anyone was hurt or that my filly has viewed the experience as a negative.

Tardebigge

Visit site
I had this problem when I was a freelance groom over 40 years ago. Someone was coming on to the clients field and riding the only rideable pony. It just so happened that I could see this field from one hidden spot on a nearby lane, so every time I was going up the lane I would stop and have a spy; so many times a day. Eventually I saw the culprit in the field. In my mind this person had become a nasty selfish cruel person, probably rough and male, in fact it was a tiny, 10 year old pony mad girl who I actually knew as she lived in the village, and was always asking about the horses/ponies she saw me on. I was the one who ended up feeling bad (ridiculous and unfounded I know) as I gave her a right rollicking and she stood there in tears, saying she just loved ponies, that was all, and she wouldn't harm them.
I suppose the point I am trying to make is that it might well be someone you know, albeit vaguely. I wish we had had cameras all those years ago. Good luck with yours.

Hanno Verian

Visit site

If you're a qualified solicitor and you tell me that no offence has been committed then I will accept that you are right and I am wrong,

If you look up the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act
https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/defaul...RIMINAL-JUSTICE-AND-PUBLIC-ORDER-ACT-1994.pdf

The definition of aggravated trespass is" Intentionally and with intention to intimidate, obstruct or disrupt the lawful activity of others" If you wish to ride your horse legally and someone else is riding or has ridden it then arguably that could be the obstructing lawful activity aspect.

The other offence may be TWOC or Taking motor vehicle or other conveyance without authority, contrary to the Theft Act 1968, assuming that a horse is considered a conveyance.

Hence the importance of getting proper legal advice and going prepared to speak to the police.

bonny

Visit site
If you're a qualified solicitor and you tell me that no offence has been committed then I will accept that you are right and I am wrong,

If you look up the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act
https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/defaul...RIMINAL-JUSTICE-AND-PUBLIC-ORDER-ACT-1994.pdf

The definition of aggravated trespass is" Intentionally and with intention to intimidate, obstruct or disrupt the lawful activity of others" If you wish to ride your horse legally and someone else is riding or has ridden it then arguably that could be the obstructing lawful activity aspect.

The other offence may be TWOC or Taking motor vehicle or other conveyance without authority, contrary to the Theft Act 1968, assuming that a horse is considered a conveyance.

Hence the importance of getting proper legal advice and going prepared to speak to the police.
Can you imagine just how that conversation with the police would go ?

[142807]

Visit site
Cameras and signs. Sadly you would be liable if there was an injury. Any property owner is liable for injury caused to a trespasser (although a court might decide that the tresspasser's actions cuased or contributed to the extent that any award was minimal. Liability under the Animal Act for something done by your horse - whether you consented to the activity or not - is strict. It helps to reduce quantum if you have signs warning of danger - Horses are unpredicatable. Do not enter feild. etc. Although trespass is a civil offence (and really difficult to get the police interested in) theft and crimnal damage might be more compelling. But if you have CCTV you could bring a private civil prosecution - or at least threaten it. If you have sheep or other vulnerable livestock you are also entitiled to shoot people (or dogs) interefereing with them. Not horses sadly - perhaps co graze a sheep?!

I cannot believe that in the UK an owner would be responsible for someone falling off their horse even if they had not given permission to someone to ride it. How on earth can you stop a trespasser entering your fields and jumping on your horse if the fields are relatively remote? Not being argumentative just don’t understand the logic of allowing the perpetrator to have the upper hand.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Many years ago my sister's young mare who was in the early stages of being broken in and had up till then not put a foot wrong was found one day with a rope bridle on and a chain for a bit. Far too small for her too. That one incident was enough to badly upset her to the point that one day when my sister was just sitting on her with me leading her when she exploded off the ground and went straight over backwards. My sister managed to jump clear, how I don't know. After that she had to be sent away to a very good man locally recommended by our vet. He did get her sorted out but we found out sometime after that he fully expected her to come back again as she was not easy. Full credit to my sister for persevering with her. Became her horse of a lifetime.

Clodagh

Visit site
I cannot believe that in the UK an owner would be responsible for someone falling off their horse even if they had not given permission to someone to ride it. How on earth can you stop a trespasser entering your fields and jumping on your horse if the fields are relatively remote? Not being argumentative just don’t understand the logic of allowing the perpetrator to have the upper hand.

Because the rights of trespassers and criminals in the UK far exceed the rights of the land or property owner. It is truly astounding.
We have a barn that has a fragile roof, we have to have a sign saying 'fragile roof' on it as if a burglar climbed on it to gain access and was hurt we would be liable. Best not to get my OH started on the subject!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I cannot believe it! Whoever it is just climbed over the newly locked gate! You can actually see the mud on the bars where their feet have been!

Plus side is without anything to catch them with, it doesn’t appear that any of the horses have been moved from their field or sat on. But I suspect next time they will think to bring their own dog lead or something.

Camera mission is being expedited (OH got technical and slowed down the process). I can’t believe the audacity.

Horses were grumpy today, I wonder if it’s related.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’ve fenced the horses off so they are on the other side of the field to the gate. It’s unlikely that they would have stood on the gate as it wouldn’t have got them close to the horses at all.

The gate is also at the bottom of a private driveway, past the side of a house so it’s still very much like their are coming into the property. Surely they must know they aren’t welcome.

I would feel so awkward.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My kids would always have stood on a gate for a better look when they were young.
I am not guessing that's what has happened, who knows, but young kids want to get high for a better view.

Possibly, but they still would have gone down a private road, then gone into the entrance of a private house, gone down the long driveway that runs all the way around the side of the house down to the stable - through private garden- and then got to the gate.

They are being exceptionally brazen well before they even reach the gate to the field that has been climbed over. I can’t imagine ever doing that myself. It’s so clearly private.

twiggy2

Visit site
Possibly, but they still would have gone down a private road, then gone into the entrance of a private house, gone down the long driveway that runs all the way around the side of the house down to the stable - through private garden- and then got to the gate.

They are being exceptionally brazen well before they even reach the gate to the field that has been climbed over. I can’t imagine ever doing that myself. It’s so clearly private.
Ahh taking the pee even before standing on the gate, I hope you get to the bottom of it and without committing murder.