Someone reported my horse to the rspca!

EstherYoung

Visit site
It's not the end of the earth to have them a bit light this time of year, as any time now the grass will go 'ka-boom' and you will have the opposite problem. I would be more worried about him looking light if we were the other end of winter.

Personally, I'd be feeding hay in the field, because there isn't enough in the grass yet. Good old fashioned strapping will help too. Remember that ready mash is soaked, so if your two scoops per day is soaked volume, it's only the equivalent of just over half a scoop of mix dry weight. Our 15h arabs get that amount when they're not in work. Weigh his hay and his feed, so that you know what he's actually getting - the old fashioned calculations of 2-2.5% of bodyweight (mostly fibre) do work, and when you're working out his 2.5%, do it for the weight you want him to be, not the weight he is. Oh and next time you clip him in the winter, leave his bum on, and go for a blanket, a chaser or a high trace. It will keep him warmer and give him a bit of natural protection under his saddle patch.

twiggy2

Visit site
if he stiffens up then I would walk him out in hand (on hills would be best) for 10-15 mins twice daily and build it up as he puts on weight, if he looks like that without adlib hay then give adlib hay all winter as a starting point next winter.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd continue to work him quietly, but would ride, not lunge.

He needs some decent grazing, a re think on the hard feed and, until better grass is available, more hay. It's also absolute madness to clip out a horse that is living out and is generally a poor doer.

Whilst I agree he's not a rescue case, a serious management re think is needed.

slumdog

Visit site
You obviously care about him or you wouldn't have posted here. I have two tbs so I know what it's like keeping their weight on. One of them (the one I rescued if you look at my previous posts) is a naturally skinny horse anyway which doesn't help! Baileys number 1 worked wonders for me, mixed with Alfa a oil and sugarbeet, I'd give him 3 or 4 small feeds a day (if you can) and also has he been wormed and had his teeth done? That can make a huge difference.

NZJenny

Visit site
Mine live out all year around too - is normal here, but in the winter when the grass is no good, they get ad lib meadow hay. I just get my property owner to put one of the big round bales in the paddock and they just munch. I do clip (one of mine works all year around), but just trace clipped. Plus I clip quite early so by the time the really cold weather hits (June/July for us) he has about 50% growth back again. He is 16 (Arabian) this year and I have just started to notice that a big weekend will have more of an effect on him weight wise than it did a few years ago. I also note that your boy has a bit of a pot belly, which quite often means that they are not getting enough protein - think starving children in Africa. If he is happy in his work, IMO there is no need to stop, but he definitely needs more to eat.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Too thin sweetie.

Try Saracen's Re-leve, and Eqi-jewel. They're brilliant at putting weight on nice and steady without fizz. Fed in small quantities so good for horses who become bored of hard feed. Can you feed haylage? If the grass is poor I'd definitely want him on ad lib hay until the grass comes through/field is rotated.

Re exercise: if he stiffens up without it then thirty minute walking only hacks on flat ground would be my choice.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Yes he is underweight but no he certainly isn't a rescue case! I've struggled with my middle age TB this winter. Try not to get too upset, I'm sure they were well meaning.

Doormouse

Visit site
Really can't recommend linseed enough, very reasonable price as a feed and really puts the weight on.

Perhaps for next winter you might be better just clipping his tummy if he is living out.

charlie76

Visit site
On our horses that tend to be a bit light coming out of winter we use a feed supplement called succeed. It is amazing. Tranforms them in about a week. Its not cheap but you only usually need one tub to make a huge difference.

Patterdale

Visit site
He's on 3 scoops Alfa oil and 2 scoops ready mash per day, anyone got any tips for what else I could try to get some weight on?

He won't put much weight on with that.

Personally I'd be feeding 3 feeds a day of barley, sugar beet, and a balancer like Blue Chip. Just keep it to simple non heating conditioning feeds.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Ps readymash is a really good fattening and easy to digest feed (ours do rather too well on it if we're not careful) but, as I say, you do need to measure it by dry weight and not soaked volume.

Pps He doesn't look like a neglect case, he just looks a bit light. The RSPCA aren't going to take any action. Talk to them, put your mind at rest. If anything they'll just be happy you've got the matter in hand.

Ppps 18 isn't old ;)

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm furious! Totally shocked to find out that someone reported me for my horse being underweight today, I just can't think who it could have been! I haven't fallen out with anyone near by, we are on a small private yard surrounded by other private fields. There is a track which people walk up near the field but the way the field is split up, you would really have to look hard to see the horses, depending where about they were standing.

I'm assuming it was a walker who, when looking at my 18 year old tb x arab, compared him to the cobs he shares a field with!! I'm gutted though, it's hard enough as it is to get weight on the old boy, plus he's ridden most days working fairly hard. I'm trying to build up his topline, I think that is what makes him look 'skinny' but it takes so long :(

Does he really look that bad?!
image-14.jpg

image-17.jpg

This is xc from 2 days ago! Doubt he would take me round a course if he was that starved!!
image-15.jpg
he is on the lean side but certainly not in need of reporting to RSPCA (not that they do anything)

Some horses do get a little lean when they work hard, my first mare was hard to put weight on and always burnt it off when ridden. Contact D&H about what your feeding him, they are very helpful.

As for the report, I very much doubt it will come to anything since he is with a loving owner who may just need a little help with his diet. Dog walks are notorious for reporting a horse who, usually know nothing about the horses circumstances or horses for that matter. Or likewise neighbouring yard do it out of spite or not minding their own business.

Last edited:

Highlands

Visit site
Hm thanks for the link, right if I up him to 5 scoops Alfa oil per day, and up the ready mash (it's the extra version) then hopefully I will see some results! I can long rein too so doesn't have to be just lunging :)

thanks, it just gets me down that people must be thinking I don't look after him when I try my hardest and put all my money and effort into him. I wanted him to be fit to keep him going but he also he looses the weight so easily over winter, its so hard when you see them everyday too, you don't notice the condition slipping and suddenly I'm having the rspca called out and it's a slap in the face that he's gone too skinny!

Dont up the ready mash or feed too much as if he is worked less he will tie up. Get a decent balancer e.g. Blue chip or top spec and use that otherwise too much to cope with. Some good hay ledge and your away. Agree re linseed if copra.

TigerTail

Visit site
He needs to be on Thunderbooks Basemix and mature oats ASAP! ITs really good nutritious food, not full of fillers or by products so like feeding us oily fish and veg rather than mac donalds and crisps. Its made of linseed, bran and a whole host of other goodies.

Please have a look on their website for some of the before and afters - I kept a 20 yr old going living out in -15 one winter on it and she looked better on that in winter than she did in the summer!

http://thunderbrook.co.uk

There is no point in feeding MASSIVE feeds as the stomach is designed to trickle graze and most will past out without being digested!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Another who agrees he's a bit lean but I'd rather have a lean horse than one of the poor wretched obese creatures one sees in the show ring! It's April, FGS, what they used to call "the hungry month". BUT I would have been feeding hay in the field and increasing the ration if there is none left the next day and decreasing if there is much left.

Also, if you get a visit from the RSPCA, think yourself lucky that you have people concerned enough to report their worries to the authorities and an inspector who does his job. If it goes pear shaped and you get an adverse report, I'd fight fire with fire and report myself to the WHW who have inspectors who DO know about horses!

Sadly, Britain has entered a period where any animal not so obese that if it rolled on it's back like a pregnant ewe and was not be unable to right itself is considered too thin. It is generally easier to put weight on a healthy lean animal than take off one that is too fat so unless this horse has some underlying health issues I wouldn't worry too much. I had a very interesting chat with a former Royal Veterinary College lecturer on this very subject which just confirmed my own thoughts. You might be surprised how quickly Dr Grass solves the problem.

AmieeT

Visit site
Yes I think he's on the skinny side, but as others have said I think it's far more important that you are actively trying to build up his weight. The RSPCA should know that upon talking to you and hopefully if anythingwill be able to give advice.

Have you spoken to your vet? My friends 20yo was on the skinny side last year- vet suggested Myoplast pearls- its for eventers and horses in hard work but worked miracles on my friends TB.

Ax

cattysmith

Visit site
The grass is coming through and in a month from now you'll spend the next 5 months worrying that he's too fat! He's fairly lean, but that's not exactly uncommon for this time of year. I wouldn't be lunging him too often to be honest, I think he's much better off being ridden. Far from an RSPCA case. Speedybeat and oils are great for bulking up. I also use ready mash extra on my oldies.

cptrayes

Visit site
Does anyone else feel that it's a VERY dangerous time of year to suggest giving a horse a lot more food and a lot less exercise?

OP, I think you should wait for the spring grass and see what he's like at the end of May. If he has enough energy to do a cross country fence of that size, there's not a whole lot wrong with him.

gingernut81

Visit site
Does anyone else feel that it's a VERY dangerous time of year to suggest giving a horse a lot more food and a lot less exercise?

OP, I think you should wait for the spring grass and see what he's like at the end of May. If he has enough energy to do a cross country fence of that size, there's not a whole lot wrong with him.

I agree with this. I know a TB (ex-racer) who always went back in winter despite feeding him up but as soon as the spring grass came in he was a completely different animal.

Horsewithsocks

Visit site
He looks like my 21 year old horse who used to be overweight without careful management, he is now very difficult to keep weight on due to Cushings - have you had yours tested he could have it if he is 18

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ditto the above re having him tested for Cushing's. The poor top line and dropped belly are typical Cushing's indicators. Worth ruling it in or out IMHO.

Also ditto re how tricky it is to keep oldies looking well, but agree that he is poor but not a 'welfare' case. Good luck with him, you seem to care a lot about him and hopefully just need to modify his management to keep him well.

It often takes an outsiders opinion to shake an owner up, as when you see them everyday these changes creep up, and may not be noticed. Don't take it too much to heart.

teabiscuit

Visit site
Good quality hay ad lib is the best way to get weight on them apart from Dr Green.
If he's a bit stiff, have you tried riaflex? My 18 year old swears by it :) thanks Janet George for the recommendation.
Your horse is no welfare case, but as others have said, a bit light.
Also as others have said, it's gearing up to summer and grass.

paddy555

Visit site
He looks like my 21 year old horse who used to be overweight without careful management, he is now very difficult to keep weight on due to Cushings - have you had yours tested he could have it if he is 18

absolutely this. He looks poor but that is not for the lack of trying on your part. Mine looked worse and we tried everything until we got to prascend (the cushings treatment) Treatment, good protein and now he is on a diet. If it is cushings you can try building topline forever but it won't work until the problem is brought under control. With any "poor" horse, especially older ones, having done the teeth and worming thing I would test for cushings. There also seem to be quite a few arabs with cushings.

Another vote for copra and micronised linseed. If they turn their noses up at copra you can introduce it gradually with a little coarse mix and they soon get there.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I think this is a good point, just feed him as much hay or haylage as he will eat, even if you have to bring him in for part of the day to have it, linseed is great for putting on weight if you wanted to add something extra but if one off mine drop off I up the hay intake first and it usually is all they need to gain a bit of weight, if he gets stiff not ridden just take him for a light hack it should be enough, I really do think his not a neglect case so try not to worry, let us know how you get on its good to see them progress.

Auslander

Visit site
It would help a lot if he wasn't clipped out especially as he lives out, I imagine that's where the problem lies.

Hmmm - my boys (20 and 17) are fully clipped, and have lived out all winter. as long as they are well rugged and have plenty of forage, they shouldn't lose weight. If that were the case, mine wouldn't look like this at the moment...

10169260_10152322034805730_768578810_n.jpg

Tnavas

Visit site
I also note that your boy has a bit of a pot belly, which quite often means that they are not getting enough protein - think starving children in Africa. If he is happy in his work, IMO there is no need to stop, but he definitely needs more to eat.

Pot belly is not a sign of protein deficiency, it is either a sign of parasite infestation or a high fibre diet.
From Rutgers, Equine Science Centre. http://esc.rutgers.edu/publications/factsheets_nutrition/FS038.htm
Protein is used in muscle development during growth or exercise. The main building blocks of protein are amino acids. Soybean meal and alfalfa are good sources of protein that can be easily added to the diet. Second and third cutting alfalfa can be 25 to 30% protein and can greatly impact the total dietary protein. Most adult horses only require 8 to 10% protein in the ration; however, higher protein is important for lactating mares and young growing foals.

Swelling of the abdomen and legs. The abdomen is swollen because of lack of strength of the muscles of the abdomen. This causes the contents of the abdomen to bulge out making the abdomen swollen. Legs are swollen due to edema. This is caused due to lack of vital nutrients. These two symptoms are seen in children with severe malnutrition.

OP your horse is very light and to be honest I would not be working him at the moment. Have you had a chiropractor to him as he shows signs of muscle wastage either side of his tail. Try adding oil to his food, corn oil is best. Introduce very slowly, by the spoonful as some horses don't like the texture. This is a far cheaper way of feeding than Equijewel. You might also consider feeding Copra, soak before feeding and again introduce slowly. I find Peppermint Oil a good method of disguising new tastes.

shadowboy

Visit site
To be fair on the OP he's poor but not a welfare case. A lot of people have struggled with grass this year because of the weather and there are numerous horses coming out of winter looking similar. A bit of spring grass and some decent hay on the ground in the meantime along with some vits and mins with three small feeds a day will work. We picked up a TB this time last year who was 17 and looked the same- we didn't pack loads of feed into him that would have been dangerous to be honest. We did however under vets instructions work him as the vet said as long as he didn't break a sweat it was good for his joints. He looked amazing by the beginning of June!