Someone wake me up from this nightmare :(

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
On Monday, my horse became really poorly, stood shaking, with a temp of 40.4C, lethargic, barely able to move. He'd picked up either a virus or infection. This has effected his metabolic system, so now he has stress laminitis in all four tootsies :(
It looks like we caught it in time, he's on meds and strict box rest for a week.
He's currently bright in himself, back to his usual cheeky self, just need his feet to get better.
please guys send some healing vibes, my boy needs all the help he can get :(

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
picture.php

Shadow yesterday

Janette

Visit site
Wishing you loads of luck.
My girl came down with steroid induced Lammi last week, so i really understand how you feel.

(The vet came yesterday and is really pleased with her progress. :D, hope yours goes the same way)

Montyforever

Visit site
Lots of vibes xx

My mare came down with some kind of virus last month that attacked her liver and she got an impaction. Was horrific watching her go through all the tubing/belly taps and considering wether I'd put her through surgery if it came to it but she's fighting fit now being a little monster again and has her (hopefully!) last blood test this week :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Poor boy, and poor you! I know just how it feels to have a horse with laminitis. Has the vet given you bute or danilon? And also sedalin paste 1 dose 3 x daily helps increase the bloood flow to the laminae and speed healing. I would also get him some foot pads to support his feet and help prevent sinkage or rotation. Hope he gets better soon!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I hope your horse makes a speedy and steady recovery.
Give him a nice extra-extra-thick bed to make him more comfortable and feed him once slice of one hour soaked hay every 4 hours 24/7 to keep his digestive tract moving.
All the best........

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
He's got pretty tough soles, the vet had a job getting a reaction from him. The phone hasn't rang this morning, so guess he's no worse. I'm going down this afternoon for hugs and to see how he's feeling.
The only thing he's on is metacam, the vet never mentioned bute or danolin, but guess he wants as little interference to the to Shadow's way of going.
It's not effected his appetite, and the vet said there was a noticeable improvement to how Shadow is feeling, bright, into things, his behaviour right now is normal, he just feels crap sometimes.
He also said he should make a full recovery, they're going to ring me tomo for an update.

1stclassalan

Visit site
The only thing he's on is metacam, the vet never mentioned bute or danolin

As far as I'm aware - metacam is a Vet's preferred anti-inflamatrant drug these days as it works in a more targetted way than Bute and stays active in the body longer - don't know much about danolin except that Googel tells me there's a brand of Danish acoustic ceiling tiles by that name - not quite what the doctor ordered is it?

It's not effected his appetite, and the vet said there was a noticeable improvement to how Shadow is feeling.......

If I read it correctly - your posted piccy shows Shadow pulling his haynet with some gusto - I never get tired of seeing that with any horse because it's the epitome of contentment and enjoying their grub!

Good Luck, it's very worrying when the love of one's life feels bad - and especially when they can't even tell you how they feel.

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Very demanding and a right Diva tonight, he really does beg for his food :D
Nearly lost the syringe down his mouth though :eek: Stuck it in the corner, went to push the end, he sucked it in.. cue mad panic, grabbing his bottom lip and pulling the offending item out... Phew! He looked very bemused :D
He's moving a lot better, and quicker, I was late giving him his meds tonight (he's been getting them about 2/3 o'clock, tonight he got them at half 5.
He's got to have them early tomo as going to see The Walking with Dinosaurs Experience in Manchester tomo afternoon.
Might see if the YO or a friend can give it him later on.
So all in all, he's had a good day :)

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
If I read it correctly - your posted piccy shows Shadow pulling his haynet with some gusto - I never get tired of seeing that with any horse because it's the epitome of contentment and enjoying their grub!

Good Luck, it's very worrying when the love of one's life feels bad - and especially when they can't even tell you how they feel.

He really does enjoy his food, I think that was part of the problem though. You can measure how happy they are out in the field, by how they come in at night. He's been desperate for nearly 2 months now, stood waiting near the gate, trotting in hand.
It's only been the last couple of days he's been out, i've had to go looking for him, but then the winds been foul, and he's gone to a spot where the field has a natural wind barrier.
Having been in a few days, he's no longer eating all the net, he's been leaving a third. I'd say he's going through two average sized nets in 24 hours.