Spillers! Have you no proofreaders?!

Venevidivici

Visit site
For the SECOND week running,a full page ad in H&H mag with a spelling mistake in the first line under the title.

It's 'dietary' not 'dietery'!
Good grief,'diet' is your business-can no-one at your company or ad agency spell?!😲

And breathe....😳
Sorry,not a matter of life and death,i know but it's one for the spelling pedants among us😁

Shantara

Visit site
Uh oh! When they see it, someone will get a MASSIVE slap on the wrist :O

I almost let "falure" slip by in an animation and I got an ear full...it wasn't even my job to check for spelling!

minkymoo

Visit site
Nothing in this world is as bad as would of/could of/should of.

You can't of anything! It's would have/could have/should have or would've/could've/should've.

<stabs self in eyes with fork>

Summer pudding

Visit site
If Spillers can't be @rsed to proof read their ads properly, how can we trust them to formulate and produce their feeds correctly?

Not impressive, Spillers, get a grip!
Oh no..I have just checked out the ad and you are right...if I was a grumpy old woman I might suggest that it was written by people mainly used to text speak. Delighted to get a response about grammar on a horsey forum, it has restored my faith in humanity and the equine community!

horserugsnot4u

Visit site

You can't of anything! It's would have/could have/should have or would've/could've/should've.

QUOTE]

One of the worst, especially when people actually write the 'of' instead of just saying it. Also hate it when people write loose instead of lose. 'Loosers' that's what I say!

TrasaM

Visit site
Oh no..I have just checked out the ad and you are right...if I was a grumpy old woman I might suggest that it was written by people mainly used to text speak. Delighted to get a response about grammar on a horsey forum, it has restored my faith in humanity and the equine community!

We have regular venting threads for us language and spelling pedants but it never makes a blind bit of difference. :D

amandap

Visit site

<stabs self in eyes with fork>
Well you wont be able to read it now! I forgot those ones.

ps. Language isn't static though...

Doris68

Visit site
Oh please, don't get me started! There was a piece in H & H a couple of weeks ago about Tina Cook's horse and it said that the horse had "arterial fibrillation", rather than "atrial fibrillation". Other things, too numerous to mention, but I agree with all the comments mentioned above. Also, I would add the use of "none", which is short for "not one" - it is "none is" and not "none are".

Pedants rule OK..!!

TrasaM

Visit site
One thing I really don't get is this " the victim, known locally as Fred smith" .. Surely known locally as Fred smith implies that he may have been known somewhere else as something different ..why can't they just write ..the victim, whose name was Fred smith! I've read this a few times now in newspaper reports and it always annoys me! Told you.. I'm a pedant :eek: :D

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
One thing I really don't get is this " the victim, known locally as Fred smith" .. Surely known locally as Fred smith implies that he may have been known somewhere else as something different ..why can't they just write ..the victim, whose name was Fred smith! I've read this a few times now in newspaper reports and it always annoys me! Told you.. I'm a pedant :eek: :D

What if he wasn't known by anyone locally, would he have a name at all?&#55357;&#56843;

Fides

Visit site
Best one though is my cousin who phoned me frantically asking if you could get back a sent email. She had signed the covering email for a job application 'Kind retards'. Luckily she is super blonde and hadn't even sent it, just saved it into her drafts *rolls eyes*

Ridingondreams

Visit site
I'm an A level Latin student, so I'd say I'm pretty clued up on grammar - I'm incredibly pedantic about it! One thing that I find shocking is that so many people finish school without knowing the difference between their, they're, and there, and you're and your; it just boggles my mind, especially since it seems to be sort of acceptable now. It's so depressing :/ Pendants unite! :p

Slightly Foxed

Visit site

'If I WERE a grumpy old woman...' - the subjunctive

Venevidivici

Visit site
Ooh,also, in the non-horsey national press,pretty much every horse is referred to as a Thoroughbred-drives me nuts.&#128556;

Eg. 'Mrs X keeps her Thoroughbred horse <actually from the pic it's clearly a hairy cob> across the valley from the mobile telephone mast,' blah blah blah,OR, 'When riding her Thoroughbred palomino,Miss Y encountered the driver,' blah blah blah,OR, 'The children rescued the Thoroughbred Welsh pony from a bog' blah blah blah.

Disclaimer - I am neither pro nor anti Thoroughbreds as a breed,I just wish the press either recognised them as a distinct breed or,if that's too much for them,just called everything a horse-it'd be more accurate.&#128540;

(They did it when referring to the horse ridden into Tesco recently-it was quite clearly a (lovely looking) chunky,hogged cob but...no...she rode her 'Thoroughbred' horse straight down the aisle apparently...&#128548;)

Venevidivici

Visit site
Ridingondreams...yeah,let's all unite our pendants too!! &#128514;
Sorry,couldn't resist...am sure it was the evil predictive text&#128516;

And yes,I agree wholeheartedly with what you said-my two kids are both under 10yrs old and will *never* get those mixed up,they've had it drummed into them relentlessly by me,ha ha!&#128518;