Spillers! Have you no proofreaders?!

fburton

Visit site
It totally amazes me when the Beeb have dreadful spelling errors in their subtitles and captions. Surely something that is going to be seen by millions of viewers should be spell checked first
I just saw a typo in the credits for Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe ("Wwritten by").

suestowford

Visit site
The Pedants' revolt

pedantsrevolt_zpse86172a1.jpg

Bojingles

Visit site
... for WE language and spelling pedants...

No, no, NO!!! "For US language and spelling pedants" is correct. And this is one of my bugbears; the misuse and abuse of pronouns. You wouldn't say "for we" so why would you say "for we pedants"?

And don't even get me started on "for you and I." Used to be called hypercorrection in linguistics. I prefer to call it stupid.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
No, no, NO!!! "For US language and spelling pedants" is correct. And this is one of my bugbears; the misuse and abuse of pronouns. You wouldn't say "for we" so why would you say "for we pedants"?

And don't even get me started on "for you and I." Used to be called hypercorrection in linguistics. I prefer to call it stupid.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I was just about to post the same thing. The misuse of pronouns is one of my pet hates. The pronoun WE is used as a subject in a sentence. You wouldn't say "Us are going to the store," but you would use US in "for us pedants." I is also a pronoun used as a subject in a sentence. Therefore, "My mother is going to the store with you and me," is correct. The fact that mother is the subject of the sentence makes it grammatically correct to use you and me, not you and I.

Brought and bought drive me up the wall! From where does that come? Defiantly for definitely (often erroneously spelled definately) defies reason.

My other bugaboo is the misuse of the colon for the semicolon.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Apologies if this has already been pointed out elsewhere but I am pleased to announce that on p69 of the 6th March issue of H&H mag,Spillers have,at last, corrected their spelling error. 'Dietery' has become 'dietary'! Hurrah!

(Sorry it's taken so long to report but I have been busy and only just looked at 6th March issue today. I'd love to know if Spillers were made aware of this thread...victory for the Pedants!😜)

Bojingles

Visit site
Hooray! I have a new one for you to pursue. I've just noticed on our village school's website that they have an "Attendence Policy." Eek, I despair.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I posted this on fb the other week:

1896798_569835550617_188971387_n.jpg

For anyone interested it's from this, which has a number of other typos. Do people not bother with proof readers any more?

10001312_569835535647_1436242660_n.jpg

Spring Feather

Visit site
"Off of" is perhaps the one thing that could send me murderous. As in "I got it off of the internet" The "of" is totally irrelevant and unnecessary. I blame Scott Mills who seems to be single handedly endeavouring to ruin the English language with phrases such as "Here's the prime minister off of London". ARGHHH!!!
"Off of" irks me so much; almost as much as "would of" ..

I am seeing so many adverts these days for horses being "quite" ...