Sponsorship competition - what would you want?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'm thinking about our business running a sponsorship competition online (via facebook, websites etc.) for us to sponsor a local rider for a year. I'm trying to work out how best to do it to get the biggest response. I saw another company run a competition recently and think it was a case of a list of 5 or 10 was drawn up from a list of entries (where they send us details of themselves, level competing, what they could do for us etc.) and then they have to try to get as many people to vote for them as possible (via FB) so they have to share and hopefully their friends will share as well (thus pushing us further out there). Does this sound like a good way???

Then it comes to what to offer. I've been sponsored before myself and I used to get branded clothing and freebies but because we aren't an equestrian company as such, we cannot offer clothing or items in kind which the rider might want (we are more of a service, without stating exactly what we do or HHO Admin will tell me off for advertising no doubt!!). I was thinking branded clothing of course (jacket, saddlecloth, rug, maybe sticker for trailer/lorry?) and then we offer our "services" 3 times through the year which in value terms would be £300+. It's so annoying I can't say what we do but I don't think I'm allowed to so very hard to explain what we can offer!!!

HHO Admin - I am not advertising, I am asking for suggestions!

Farma

Visit site
I think lower level riders love the credit that they are sponsored so I would aim it all in that direction and provide the branded bits and bobs in return for them publicising should be enough x

khalswitz

Visit site
I'm thinking about our business running a sponsorship competition online (via facebook, websites etc.) for us to sponsor a local rider for a year. I'm trying to work out how best to do it to get the biggest response. I saw another company run a competition recently and think it was a case of a list of 5 or 10 was drawn up from a list of entries (where they send us details of themselves, level competing, what they could do for us etc.) and then they have to try to get as many people to vote for them as possible (via FB) so they have to share and hopefully their friends will share as well (thus pushing us further out there). Does this sound like a good way???

Then it comes to what to offer. I've been sponsored before myself and I used to get branded clothing and freebies but because we aren't an equestrian company as such, we cannot offer clothing or items in kind which the rider might want (we are more of a service, without stating exactly what we do or HHO Admin will tell me off for advertising no doubt!!). I was thinking branded clothing of course (jacket, saddlecloth, rug, maybe sticker for trailer/lorry?) and then we offer our "services" 3 times through the year which in value terms would be £300+. It's so annoying I can't say what we do but I don't think I'm allowed to so very hard to explain what we can offer!!!

HHO Admin - I am not advertising, I am asking for suggestions!

Drop me a PM if you like? I also run an equestrian 'service' and have two sponsored riders on the books so can advise if you like?

X

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
The Petplan one involved people writing in an entry, then a shortlist went up on the website and friends were invited to send in supporting recommendations, then Petplan chose the winners. They have won a bunch of branded stuff plus a £500 training bursary.

I personally don't like the ones where people vote as they are then just a popularity contest of who knows most people to get to vote for them - and a lot of those voting are not necessarily at all interested in your product/service. I think also it is better if you can choose your rider/s for yourself as people who most appropriately represent your brand and who you think will portray and promote you in the best light - those who produce the best content and who your customers can identify with the most.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Farma, yeah that's sort of what I thought hence I didn't want to chuck too much money at it! Plus we're only a small company.

3Beastie - Yes, they need to be local hence why I'd be pitching it at local riders only.

khalswitz - Thanks, will PM you later (just about to go XC schooling myself so dont want to be late!). Only thing is that ours isnt an equestrian service as such... although we can "do" horses... so hard without saying what we are/do!

Fuzzypuff - Thanks for your view, I would prefer to choose someone but the voting thing is handy as its a publicity thing in itself (ie. riders share the competition (and our page!) with all their friends etc. which then helps us get noticed more and get more page likes etc.). Good point though for me to have a good think about how to do this!

wkiwi

Visit site
I know it i great for a rider to be sponsored, but it might be better for your business if you sponsored a local competition/ class in a competition/ jump etc. For one thing, they don't go lame, get flu', etc. and your business still looks successful no matter who wins! You can also more easily adapt sponsorship for high and low times in your business.
I fully agree with the popularity thing - remember that a lot of serious riders don't waste a lot of time on facebook, so will you really be targetting the most successful? (It doesn't look good if you end up sponsoring someone that doesn't do well). Maybe better to have a facebook page with fun things on that people will then like and share anyway - then you don't have to report that your sponsored rider crashed and burned.
Just some thoughts i picked up from a sales conference.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
I disagree that your rider needs to do well to promote your business. I actually think the most important thing is how they write about themselves and you and how much time they put into writing engaging stuff. Even if the horse goes lame they can write about rehab or about horse care stuff and the most important thing is that they write stuff people engage with that you can share and not that they go out and win ribbons with your name on their stuff.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
I am very interested in this as we have just set up our own business and are thinking about doing something similar and are wondering how it works. We, like you , are a small service industry, but we are purely equine, but as a local business our potential sponsoree would have to be local in order for us and them to get the benefit. I will be following with interest Magic Melon.

spookypony

Visit site
Now I'm vastly curious, being up in your area! :D

From the point of visibility, I think sponsoring riders can be better than sponsoring jumps or classes.

From the rider's point of view, I think it needs to be clear what both sides need to do to keep up their end of the bargain, such as "monthly blog post" or "wear rug at competitions", or whatever.

I think the least useful sponsorship deals, from the rider's point of view, are probably those that lock them into using a specific feed or piece of equipment that may not work for their horse. Branded versions of more general clothes or rugs etc. work better. When we were on the Scottish endurance team, my pony had 4 rather informal "sponsors". Two are horse professionals that we're regular clients of, so the sponsorship was in terms of services, and two gave a financial contribution that meant our diesel was covered, which is not to be sneered at! I also had lorry stickers, and a jacket from one of the sponsors.

The services 3x sounds good and generous, assuming it's a service the rider is likely to make use of. For the branded clothing, think about what will be best placed in the particular discipline. For someone that is likely to warm up with others on a probably clipped horse, an exercise sheet might be more visible than a rug. A fleece or cooler would also likely see more use at an event. Saddlecloths are sometimes limited in what they're allowed to have on them (or in what size), or the rider may have very specific preferences as to the type of cloth.

I should think it would be pretty easy to do a local competition for riders, just by designing a good application form. Post it on your website AND on your Facebook page, and share it on the relevant Facebook groups already in existence (I suspect we use the same ones). Use the "horsey stuff" groups, the Riding Clubs' Facebook groups, the local competition centres, and invite people to share the post. There's no reason the "finding a rider" part should cost you any money at all.

The design of the application is important, I think, so deserves some thought.