Spooking 4 y/o - help!

evsj

Visit site
I backed my 4 y/o Dutch Warmblood mare nearly 5 weeks ago and she made a good start. I’ve been hacking her in company, riding her around the farm solo and schooling her/getting odd lesson - in all approx. 5 times per week for 30-40 mins. She’s now cantering nicely up the long side of the school and starting to bend correctly.

However, I’ve come off her 3 times in the last 3 weeks on each occasion due to her spooking (at things unknown) and I’m currently lying at home with a very sore back after yesterday’s lastest fall. I’m starting to lose confidence with her and this isn’t like me - my old mare was always sharp and spooky, as was as welshie/TB I’ve been riding. My stickabilty has always been pretty good but I’m questioning all that now. I’m in the process of ordering a new body protector - I’ve been a bit old-school in not wanting to wear one apart from during Xc, up til now but these recent falls worry me and twice I have hurt my back so badly I don’t want to risk further injury.

Advice appreciated. I’ve been riding/owner for over 40 years but this is the first horse I’ve backed on my own.

ihatework

Visit site
They are all different, some spookier than others and some a little more slam-dunk about it than others. The sensitive ones it might escalate if they pick up on nerves/lack of confidence.

They usually grow out of the worst of it.

I would say though that 30-40 mins x 5 is quite a lot for 5 weeks backed. She might just be feeling it a little.

If its your first breaker and you’ve got a sharp one might be worth investing in some pro help

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Agree that you should scale back the work a little, however a couple of things that I'd recommend for when you are riding are 1) get a neckstrap - they really do help and 2) get a gel-out seat saver.

Nicnac

Visit site
As PP's have said that's a lot of work for a newly backed horse. Get her checked over for any sore bits - I'm sure she'd appreciate a massage. Sticky bums, neck strap aka Oh Shit strap and body protector - these will also give you confidence. Scale it back and reintroduce her to spooky things letting her take her time.

Once you know her a bit better, you'll be able to feel when she's about to spook (most of the time!). She may also be in season which could affect her spookiness. Take your time in getting to know her and glad you got back on!

KittyH

Visit site
Some really good advice here. I've had a couple of homebred warmbloods and the combination of sharp and power can be very difficult to sit too. One of mine would spin round if he saw something and once I came off 3 times in 3 weeks. He did go advanced dressage but he never stopped being sharp and spooky. I used a gel out saddle pad, and hacked with a neck strap and in a Point 2 which I found more tolerable than a body protector. He did do quite a lot of damage to my confidence out hacking. He needed frequent physio visits as a young horse because he'd make himself sore with his antics. I'd say scale things back a bit and maybe get some advice from a good professional producer as it doesn't take long for baby 'mistakes' to become bad habits, but my experience is that even a very carefully produced horse can be sharp, and it doesn't necessarily stop being sharp as it gets older. Good luck and I hope your back is better soon.

evsj

Visit site
I will look at the rs tor....thanks KittyH - I was trotting at the time and her trot chucks me out of the saddle so I figured the speed and power in her is the reason I can’t sit her spooks. She is dressage bred (not my choice, I’m an Irish fan normally!) so what you say makes absolute sense ?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
You have to get the thinking skills and reactions better for dealing with spooking. At the moment it sounds like you have a horse who cannot process very well at the moment. Start with Warwick Schiller he has some brilliant videos on You Tube about how to deal with this kind of issue.

evsj

Visit site
You have to get the thinking skills and reactions better for dealing with spooking. At the moment it sounds like you have a horse who cannot process very well at the moment. Start with Warwick Schiller he has some brilliant videos on You Tube about how to deal with this kind of issue.

Thank you, I will have a look at him

Mazerati

Visit site
I produce horses for a living - so this is normal. Hasn't been riding long, a small spook can unbalance the rider which scares a young horse and then the reaction becomes much larger (normally with a plop off). I normally look at what I am feeding and their routine (care and work) and build a plan on how to build confidence for that horse

daffy44

Visit site
I produce horses for a living - so this is normal. Hasn't been riding long, a small spook can unbalance the rider which scares a young horse and then the reaction becomes much larger (normally with a plop off). I normally look at what I am feeding and their routine (care and work) and build a plan on how to build confidence for that horse

This ^ I'm afraid I also think thats quite a lot of work for a newly backed 4yr old. As a rough guide I generally have my young horses either living out 24/7 or out at night, and they are ridden four times a week, twice in the school, approx 20/25mins, and twice out hacking, if just in walk approx 45mins. These are dressage bred warmbloods, but I've tended to follow this pattern with all different types/breeds of youngsters.

evsj

Visit site
This ^ I'm afraid I also think thats quite a lot of work for a newly backed 4yr old. As a rough guide I generally have my young horses either living out 24/7 or out at night, and they are ridden four times a week, twice in the school, approx 20/25mins, and twice out hacking, if just in walk approx 45mins. These are dressage bred warmbloods, but I've tended to follow this pattern with all different types/breeds of youngsters.

I’m happy to go back to 4 times per week! It’s just difficult to know what to do with conflicting advice around - and it’s her owner/breeder who keeps urging me to work her til she’s sweating! (I’m ignoring the owner on this bit of advice!)
I keep her out at night and give her hay during the day with a handful of fibre nuggets as a reward for any work.

evsj

Visit site

Thanks Maserati - the first time I came off her the saddle slipped so I know this frightened her. This must be why the spook on Monday was so dramatic. Back properly checked yesterday, teeth done last month and I’ve got saddle fitter tomorrow at last so everything else is down to me!

Nicnac

Visit site
Just be careful with too much stickiness i.e. gel seat saver and silicone breeches or you may be like me and have an Exorcist moment. My horse did a 180 spook, my legs and arse did the 180 turn as stuck fast but my back and head were still facing in the original direction. They did catch up eventually but I didn't half pull my back!