Spurs? Do you ride with them?

Lintel

Visit site
Do you ride with spurs?

If so- how is your horse, lazy, forward etc?

How often do you ride with them? And when?

What kind of spurs do you ride with?

Why do you use them?

Thank you! :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I use spurs for horseball whatever I'm riding (of my two). I used to jump the cob in spurs - not for speed, I used them to define a take off spot!

I use them sometimes on Fergs - I have xc schooled with them and sj-ed. I like to have the option of them, if he's going to sit on my leg too much. However, I don't use them for routine schooling, hacking, showing, jump schooling or every time I go out as I don't want to be dependent on them or for him to desensitise himself to them.

I use normal downward pointing spurs.

Fergs isn't dead to the leg - by a long shot. He is reasonably forward, given his native chilledness - and normally pretty responsive. He can sit on your leg though if he's lacking confidence or unsure generally. I use the spurs to get him off my leg and ensure that jumping is a reasonably positive experience - thus he gains confidence and is less backward as things go on.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure it does :eek:

Lintel

Visit site
It does indeed JFTD- Lucky you having a Highland that wishes too move.
Mine would be a field companion rather happily!

texenstar

Visit site
I only use spurs when my horse is being lazy to my leg (which is hardly ever)
It just gets him listening to me when doing schooling
I use sprenger roller spurs (smooth)

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
Not worn spurs for about 40 years after I caught the back of one on the steep wooden steps leading up to the riding school tackroom up by the hayloft and fell from top to bottom :eek: Decided they were too dangerous :D

Holl&Ru

Visit site
I do, but I do (fairly :p) high dressage so I'm expected to do transitions with pinpoint accuracy. I use them on every ride :)
On Lil and Bella I used Waterfords, because both were very hot horses who didn't need so much, with Ru I use Prince of Wales because he can take a bit more encouragement.

Lintel

Visit site
I reckon F would too if he thought he could get away with it :eek:

What's your chap's background? :)

Breeding background he is Euan Of Craignetherty- he has a Whitefield daddy ;)the yard owner has his cousin. Fraser of Craignetherty who is has just started riding and he is completely opposite!? So responsive off the leg and a.. well enthralling ride!
Riding background he was broken in by myself... I am a completely lazy bummed rider! No hot arse here by any stretch. He was schooled on by me through lessons last year at a different yard in spurs (trainer recommendation) but now we are back to our nice little yard and schooling in winter is just not possible!

Overload info there lol! :p:D

PolarSkye

Visit site
Do you ride with spurs? Yes

If so- how is your horse, lazy, forward etc? He is sharp but he runs away from the leg rather than responding to it appropriately

How often do you ride with them? And when? I wear spurs whenever I work on the flat - so about 3-4 times a week

What kind of spurs do you ride with? I use the smallest, most rounded spurs I could find . . .

Why do you use them? To reinforce my leg aids . . . my horse is whip shy but respects my leg much more when I am wearing my spurs . . . plus the spurs give me confidence in my aids (I rarely actually USE the spurs they are just there . . . if that makes sense)

Thank you! You are welcome.

ausipaliboi

Visit site
I use them if I know I am having a wonky day (I have a very crooked body at the best of times). I use them so that my horse knows exactly when I want him to do something because them more I try to do something the more I tense and go wonky, it just frustrates me and confuses him and we don't enjoy our ride. Mine are the blunt end kind.

At times I have also used spurs when out trail riding on my boy because if he decides something is going to eat him that is the end of our ride. When I first got him the spurs were the extra that I needed to tell him to move his backside because that rock is not going to suddenly leap up and devour him whole.

Auslander

Visit site
I usually ride in spurs on the flat- doesn't matter if the horse is slow, fast, lazy, fizzy. I don't think of them as a go faster tool, but as a means of refining my aids. I use them when I need them, and not when I don't.

I like the Stubben special dressage spurs, but they are a bit on the long side and tend to be owner frighteners, so I have shorter ones for putting human minds at rest. The longer ones are easier to use for precision work, and require less wriggling around to apply.

I hate the bad press that spurs get, they are a useful tool when used correctly. Mind you, I hate seeing them misused - although I think misuse of the whip is a worse crime.

I'd rather see a horse move smartly off the leg with a light touch of the spurs, than to see someone nagging away with absolutely no response from the horse.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Not at all overload :) How old is he?

I thought F was more backward than he was as a 4/5 year old - he's really growing into his "forwardness" - and a lot of it is to do with taking him out and getting him confident and enjoying himself. The more familiar he is with a route, the less he sits on my leg. He's always backward in new places - but as he gets more confident he gets more forward. I don't take any nonsense from him - if he doesn't respond to light leg he gets a smack / tap up. He's growing into himself every day at the moment.

Don't know if any of that ramble is applicable to your situation? :)

btw I have a sedative-type arse too :eek:

Lintel

Visit site
I usually ride in spurs on the flat- doesn't matter if the horse is slow, fast, lazy, fizzy. I don't think of them as a go faster tool, but as a means of refining my aids. I use them when I need them, and not when I don't.

I like the Stubben special dressage spurs, but they are a bit on the long side and tend to be owner frighteners, so I have shorter ones for putting human minds at rest. The longer ones are easier to use for precision work, and require less wriggling around to apply.

I hate the bad press that spurs get, they are a useful tool when used correctly. Mind you, I hate seeing them misused - although I think misuse of the whip is a worse crime.

I'd rather see a horse move smartly off the leg with a light touch of the spurs, than to see someone nagging away with absolutely no response from the horse.

My thought's exactly- though I don't want to use them all the time but my little guy is so stubborn and ignorant with the leg and the whip at times- completely ignores all aids :rolleyes:
And I know what you mean alot of people use them to go faster, I tend to use them as a *squeeze* then a back up to the squeeze to dry and move him off my leg. Just don't want him getting too used to them.:)

Lintel

Visit site
Not at all overload :) How old is he?

I thought F was more backward than he was as a 4/5 year old - he's really growing into his "forwardness" - and a lot of it is to do with taking him out and getting him confident and enjoying himself. The more familiar he is with a route, the less he sits on my leg. He's always backward in new places - but as he gets more confident he gets more forward. I don't take any nonsense from him - if he doesn't respond to light leg he gets a smack / tap up. He's growing into himself every day at the moment.

Don't know if any of that ramble is applicable to your situation? :)

btw I have a sedative-type arse too :eek:

Lol he is about the exactly the same as your boy I'd guess- Bailey is 5 in May :D
He is uber safe and confident out hacking etc and he adores new places and tends to move more forward in new places. He is so inquisitive it really does take the p*** sometimes!
Same with mine, I carry a jumping whip all the time (mostly to keep him in from playing with traffic) but he is becoming very ignorant to the crop :rolleyes: Hopefully this is just a stage... *sigh* :eek::p

JFTDWS

Visit site
Lol he is about the exactly the same as your boy I'd guess- Bailey is 5 in May :D
He is uber safe and confident out hacking etc and he adores new places and tends to move more forward in new places. He is so inquisitive it really does take the p*** sometimes!
Same with mine, I carry a jumping whip all the time (mostly to keep him in from playing with traffic) but he is becoming very ignorant to the crop :rolleyes: Hopefully this is just a stage... *sigh* :eek::p

F is 6 in May - he was more backwards this time last year, tbf...

ehem. I carry a schooling whip. Fergles wears a hi vis exercise sheet. He ignores my leg, it sounds there's been a gunshot :eek: A nice sharp shock often does more than any amount of bashing :D

Lintel

Visit site
It might depend on bloodlines. My pony's full brother is a very active fellow too. His owner and I swapped notes and our two are remarkably similar in behaviour and looks. They are both older, 17 and 19 years old and it hasn't slowed down either of them.

Yard owner has the cousin of my boy literally exactly the same bloodlines as mine. And he is so beautiful to ride- although a pain in the ass! Forward of the leg, listens to aids, doesn't non-brake you either! I ride him and broke him in too.. it's insane :rolleyes:

RayJaguarStorm

Visit site
I wear spurs with both of my boys

With Neo it's just to keep him off the leg and forward. It also helps with collection and striding when I jump him

The main reason I use them with Zed is that he's over 17hh and was broken by a very tall man. I'm only 5'3 and now having my little stubby legs on him he just tanks and takes the mick half the time so the spurs help getting him to listen to my aids and leg :p

I have about 5 pairs...
One bling pair
One short rounded pair
One short squared off pair
One slightly longer pair
And a short rounded training spur I use with Zed :)

kelly_s1

Visit site
Do you ride with spurs? yes

If so- how is your horse, lazy, forward etc? My horse is very lazy, I don't use a whip unless out hacking and spurs are only used when needed

How often do you ride with them? And when? every time I ride

What kind of spurs do you ride with? smallest round ones

Why do you use them? because I have a stubborn, thick skinned welshie!

Lintel

Visit site
F is 6 in May - he was more backwards this time last year, tbf...

ehem. I carry a schooling whip. Fergles wears a hi vis exercise sheet. He ignores my leg, it sounds there's been a gunshot :eek: A nice sharp shock often does more than any amount of bashing :D

A schooling whip... why did I never really think of this..
My little guy moves forward if he gets tickled on the bum!
Well thank you very much JFTD! Tomorrow may well be a new day!
It's nice to hear from other Highland owners too- they seem to go through so many phases.. I cannot keep up!:rolleyes::D

JFTDWS

Visit site
It might depend on bloodlines. My pony's full brother is a very active fellow too. His owner and I swapped notes and our two are remarkably similar in behaviour and looks. They are both older, 17 and 19 years old and it hasn't slowed down either of them.

There are endurance blood lines and lighter, sportier types. I don't know what my lad's sire is like, but I know the mare throws a sportier foal (compared to some I've known :eek: ). My little one is from a very sporty, light highland stallion, and has paces to die for (though he's only 2!).

But, I do think that any horse can be schooled to be light off the leg. It's just finding the right buttons. I'm sure you will find a solution, lintel :)

Lintel

Visit site
There are endurance blood lines and lighter, sportier types. I don't know what my lad's sire is like, but I know the mare throws a sportier foal (compared to some I've known :eek: ). My little one is from a very sporty, light highland stallion, and has paces to die for (though he's only 2!).

But, I do think that any horse can be schooled to be light off the leg. It's just finding the right buttons. I'm sure you will find a solution, lintel :)

Indeed! I completely agree, it's just finding those very well hidden buttons!:p

JFTDWS

Visit site
A schooling whip... why did I never really think of this..
My little guy moves forward if he gets tickled on the bum!
Well thank you very much JFTD! Tomorrow may well be a new day!
It's nice to hear from other Highland owners too- they seem to go through so many phases.. I cannot keep up!:rolleyes::D

Oh for hacking, if a schooling whip doesn't help, add the exercise sheet and unleash the "gunshot" sound :D But yes, try it, see what happens!

Tomorrow is always a new day and he is still very young. Erm, I presume he's not overweight and he's fit? Obviosuly that will make an enormous difference too - but you know that :)

Definitely, highland owners unite! :D

dafthoss

Visit site
I sj and xc in rollerball spurs for very similar reasons to JFTD, he can back off and put him self in a dodgey spot when he's not confident which then eats away at his confidence even more so he is more likley to back off. With them on I just use them at the first sign of backing off to encourage him forwards and then he gains confidence from jumping well and then I dont need them very much at all.

I ride with them on the flat occasionally now to sharpen him up before we compete and I tend to do any dressage tests in them. I want to event him at some point so I wont be able to use a whip so he needs to be used to them in competition before then and it helps when he decides to try go side ways at the terifying things around the arena :rolleyes:. I also used to hack in them when he went through a nappy phase but havnt needed them for quite some time now :).

Lintel

Visit site
Oh for hacking, if a schooling whip doesn't help, add the exercise sheet and unleash the "gunshot" sound :D But yes, try it, see what happens!

Tomorrow is always a new day and he is still very young. Erm, I presume he's not overweight and he's fit? Obviosuly that will make an enormous difference too - but you know that :)

Definitely, highland owners unite! :D

He is plump - he is a Highland :rolleyes:
Baileyandstuff359.jpg

And he is reasonably fit, does about 6 miles walk trot and a little canter no with a no sweat. The canter work gets him more :p
He has more muscle than he did in this photo- HUGE shoulders now :p

MileAMinute

Visit site
Do you ride with spurs? Yes

If so- how is your horse, lazy, forward etc? She's a stubborn mare at times! Also very nappy, and will drift all over the place in canter out hacking if she could!

How often do you ride with them? And when? Most rides. I have bad nerve damage in my legs and I can't hold her together properly with my legs alone.

What kind of spurs do you ride with? Comb spurs

Why do you use them? They suit me and Meg. honestly wish I didn't have to use them, but she ignores my leg otherwise. I get horrible comments at the yard, but who are they to judge? I've never hurt her with them and she's always got her ears forward and happy with her work, and my lower leg is secure enough to wear them.