Squeeeeee I think Ive found him!!!

hellfire

Visit site
Thanks once again for the replies..just to clarify a couple of things..
Yes I'm tall, just under 6ft with 34" inside leg. I never weigh under 12.5 st at best as I look daft.
I prefer big horses because of this but also because I have fibromyalgia and find shorter horses more choppy in their stride which is very uncomfortable for me. Plus to be honest I'm used to alot of horse under and in front of me, it feels more natural/comfortable for me. Its not just what I look like on a horse, its what I feel like. I 'look' fine on my friends wide 14.3, maybe a little big but I 'feel' ridiculous...esp as her has a short neck.
Last but not least I just prefer something 16.2+...in the same way some people like smaller types, it's a personal preference?
Nice to know another rider with fibromyalgia!! I prefer my smaller chunky 14.3 welsh and my 14 fell X. Very smooth paces no jolting and MUCH easier to get on and off especially on a bad day ha ha. It's personal preference definably. I rode a lovely looking 14.2 cob when hunting for Dakota and he was really choppy gait and jolted me terribly. I'm 5 ft 7" and they both take my leg well and my weights not much less than yours. It's a gamble a youngster will get to that height. I bought Sparky as just riding 3 meant to make 15hh. He only just made 14hh. If the heights put you off keep looking. Or go look to satisfy yourself that it is or isn't the right one. That's what I find when I found one. Turned out it wasn't 'the one'. Dakota I went to see and was looking for a 15hh but went to see him anyway and he was perfect at 14.2. He's 5 so may grow 😂. I don't care though.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Much less confident to hack out than I expected, given how quiet he is on the arena, but doing fine for a nearly four year old out on his own (I have no choice). On the arena, moments are sublime, and getting more frequent and held for longer. I have to remind myself to limit the time and the effort I ask him for. His movement is huge and he still has a lot more growing to do by the look of him. His new buddy Muffin, the failed hurdler, is going to be very nice as well, in time. Thanks for asking 👍

SLH, what have you decided?

The confidence hacking will come, my spotty is just starting hacking again after 18 months off (keratoma op) and he is worried but he he was worried when he first started hacking when backed but when he learnt the rules and kept doing it he was brilliant.
We hacked him on his own from day 1 too.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If you're in Shropshire OP, then it might be worth going to see the Suffolk breeders at Trimpley. They always have lots of stock and usually a few for sale, plus they are very well connected in the ride and drive scene so might well know of something for sale locally.

I know what you mean about big horses - my big goon is the ultimate in comfortable ride. He's 16.2/3, which is taller than both his parents and he's much chunkier too, but he is the spit of his full brother who's actually an inch or two taller. He's PRE x hannovarian, so you wouldn't necessarily expect him to be the unit he is.

hellfire

Visit site
Thanks once again for the replies..just to clarify a couple of things..
Yes I'm tall, just under 6ft with 34" inside leg. I never weigh under 12.5 st at best as I look daft.
I prefer big horses because of this but also because I have fibromyalgia and find shorter horses more choppy in their stride which is very uncomfortable for me. Plus to be honest I'm used to alot of horse under and in front of me, it feels more natural/comfortable for me. Its not just what I look like on a horse, its what I feel like. I 'look' fine on my friends wide 14.3, maybe a little big but I 'feel' ridiculous...esp as her has a short neck.
Last but not least I just prefer something 16.2+...in the same way some people like smaller types, it's a personal preference?
Nice to know another rider with fibromyalgia!! I prefer my smaller chunky 14.3 welsh and my 14 fell X. Very smooth paces no jolting and MUCH easier to get on and off especially on a bad day ha ha. It's personal preference definably. I rode a lovely looking 14.2 cob when hunting for Dakota and he was really choppy gait and jolted me terribly. I'm 5 ft 7" and they both take my leg well and my weights not much less than yours. It's a gamble a youngster will get to that height. I bought Sparky as just riding 3 meant to make 15hh. He only just made 14hh. If the heights put you off keep looking. Or go look to satisfy yourself that it is or isn't the right one. That's what I find when I found one. Turned out it wasn't 'the one'. Dakota I went to see and was looking for a 15hh but went to see him anyway and he was perfect at 14.2. He's 5 so may grow a inch 😂.Don't care if he doesn't. For some reason this posted again!!!

Annagain

Visit site
You wouldn't be too far from Janet George and her Indigo ID stud either. I think she might be in Staffs?

ETA - no, just checked and she's in Shropshire - even better! Do a search on facebook.
If you're in Shropshire OP, then it might be worth going to see the Suffolk breeders at Trimpley. They always have lots of stock and usually a few for sale, plus they are very well connected in the ride and drive scene so might well know of something for sale locally.

I know what you mean about big horses - my big goon is the ultimate in comfortable ride. He's 16.2/3, which is taller than both his parents and he's much chunkier too, but he is the spit of his full brother who's actually an inch or two taller. He's PRE x hannovarian, so you wouldn't necessarily expect him to be the unit he is.

moodymare_1993

Visit site
Unless you get something much older or much younger (As In too young to ride) , I’m not sure what your going to find for that budget, unless you get a real Project

ETA: just seen you first post saying the one you liked was rising 3. You might just have to take a bit of a chance on a youngster and hope it makes height, if you can find out dam/sire height

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Unless you get something much older or much younger (As In too young to ride) , I’m not sure what your going to find for that budget, unless you get a real Project

ETA: just seen you first post saying the one you liked was rising 3. You might just have to take a bit of a chance on a youngster and hope it makes height, if you can find out dam/sire height

You dont have to take a chance if you buy one thats already big enough. If you get one at the small end of ok, then it doesnt matter if it grows or not :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’d say, definitely don’t settle for something you’re not happy with. In your position, I’d hold off and save to get what I really wanted. I wish I’d listened to my gut and got something bigger. Whilst Beau takes up the leg a treat, I was used to a 17.2hh warmblood and a 15.2hh cob seemed like a good idea at the time!

Equi

Visit site
If you are really looking for a larger but also agile type why don't you look at a horse approx 4/5 from ireland? Most growing is done, might grow a bit more but at 17hh etc you know what to expect. Does it really have to be a total youngster? Being a tall person myself i can totally understand your predicament! But saying that i felt totally comfortable on the large "16hh" cob at a school who turned out to be 15.1 when measured..after i knew that i couldn't ride her! My boy is 17hh and a drafty ISH type so not massively round, but totally comfortable. But, honestly, i could ride the 15.1 cobby more with my seat as there was less bounce.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/groups/232066603511703/?fref=nf

Worcestershire Horse Group, OP, there is a 15 year old grey mare, done it all and got T shirt for £1500 just been advertised. Probably has an issue or 2 at that age, and no doubt the owners just want a younger model. Might be worth you having a look.

Ellie Kennedy
3 hrs
A gorgeous 15yo 16.2hh TB X Trakehner mare. Bird schools very nicely and enjoys her jumping. She is never sick or sorry. She can be a typical mare and stubborn at times so therefore would suite a confident teenager or adult to have fun on. She hacks out alone and in company but does need a confident rider when hacking alone. Bird is good to clip/shoe and load. 5* home needed for her,sad sale. She is a super fun mare and she took me on my first fun ride and jumped everything perfectly wasn't fizzy or strong. She has previously evented, would make a fab hunting horse. Home more important than price hence willing to take offers to the right potential new home. Feel free to message for more pictures and videos. Open to vetting £1500 Ono Based in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1550655031744843&id=100004010838902

Just realised there's no price on this so likely to be beyond your budget...so don't forget lovely 10yo, 17.2hh Hector.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/233069560150525/permalink/814851248639017/

If you don't fall in love, bring him on, get him back working under saddle and sell him in 6 months for 4 times his current price. The Suffolk Horse Society website always has long lists of people wanting a ridden Suffolk.

These horses are always described as not knowing their size. They really don't. My little Suffolk seems to be completely convinced he is a 12hh Shetland.