Stallion Showcase GB

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I think there is a difference to being backed & doing a display in sitting trot & even being asked for flying changes. IMHO the 1st one did not look a big mature sort either, he looked like the baby he is. As I said it goes against everything I was ever taught. They have enough years under saddle what harm is there in giving them those extra few months to grow into themselves both mentally & physically? I can just imagine the up roar if we started sending 13 year olds out to work!

Read the nice, polite, and very restrained replies to your post magic104 - but they're TOO polite IMHO! Have you produced ONE horse who has got a write-up in H&H??

woodlander is one of THE top breeders in the UK - and her horses continually succeed and BREED success. This is because she knows what she is doing! She knows her horses and knows what is 'right' for them. And probably no-one in British breeding has made their mark in Europe quite as decisively in the past 10 years!

When I've been breeding for as long as woodlander has - and if (God forbid) I'd had 20% of the success she has had - I would still NOT consider myself to be qualified to criticise!! I wouldn't want to look that stupid! :D

I have the greatest admiration for breeders who put their stallions on public display at these events - particularly the young ones. They are testosterone-fuelled events and behaviour CAN be a bit unpredictable! And you open yourself up to all the armchair experts - many of whom have never ridden or handled even a dozey quiet stallion!

(And - just for the record - a lot of 13 year olds would be MUCH improved by sending them out to do a bit of productive work at week-ends!!)

shirleyno2

Visit site
I have the greatest admiration for breeders who put their stallions on public display at these events - particularly the young ones. They are testosterone-fuelled events and behaviour CAN be a bit unpredictable! And you open yourself up to all the armchair experts - many of whom have never ridden or handled even a dozey quiet stallion!

(And - just for the record - a lot of 13 year olds would be MUCH improved by sending them out to do a bit of productive work at week-ends!!)

"LIKE"
Top bird Janet George!!!

And hey you only have to go to any show and see how the older stallions can make us all look wallies on their day

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
"LIKE"
Top bird Janet George!!!

And hey you only have to go to any show and see how the older stallions can make us all look wallies on their day

Ta Shirley! And you don't need to tell me about older stallions making us look like wallies! My old boy is 22 - and undoubtedly THE most mannered, sweet and controllable stallion in the WORLD. He doesn't go out - he's a home boy - but I NEVER let mare owners watch him covering. Some days he strolls out, gets into the covering yard and insists on eating ANY spare grass in the yard and sometimes even having a roll before turning his attentions to a mare who is gagging for it - but on the odd occasion (especially if it's a TB or WB mare) I end up flat on my face as he hurls himself at her like a randy 3 year old! God only knows what he'd do if I took him out in public - his sense of humour would undoubtedly ensure I ended up looking like an idiot!:D

woodlander

Visit site
I think we have run this one to the end...don't you. I will reiterate that if anyone wants to come and watch the work with the babies and discuss...they are more than welcome. Just PM me

Delicious_D

Visit site
Just to add, i have the greatest respect for the Woodlander stud, time and time again using common sense and old fashioned horsemandship to breed wonderful horses who are fantastic examples of their breed. All horses are not robots, you cannot predict their behaviours. I will say wavavoom is my favourite, i love his oranginess :D

I do not one a woodlander horse, however my friend owns one by Rockstar, fab horse. :)

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I think this is a valid comment for everyone TBH no matter which forum they're on. If you can't be polite or positive, say nothing at all. If they want to slag something/one off then do it privately and not on a public forum which could affect the businesses and reputation of those 'offended against'. It's easy and polite enough to say it's not their cup of tea if asked but to downright publicly criticise on a forum about a stallion is nasty and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. I'm not worried about what you say in actual private conversation to anyone, just keep a decent moral code when on a forum.

Oh & where have I been rude?? So what you are all saying is that if we do not agree with what we saw we are not permitted to voice our opinions if it goes against the pack? And sorry but it is irrelavant whether someone has produced a top horse where working 2yo's are concerned. There were a number of people who were a bit shocked at how young they were & what was being asked. Someone actually said "No one will be brave enough to speak against them". Yet in the past plenty of people have raised concerns at seeing 2yo's being backed & ridden away. It seems though because these are Woodlander horses it is ok. My concern & I am sure I stated this earlier is that there will be people watching who now think this is ok & will not have the experience to judge whether their 2yo is mature metally or physically. Will not have the balance needed for such a young horse. It should not be excepted as the norm as there is plenty of evidence that states too much damage can be done & it can shorten the horses working life.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What I'm asking anyone, not just you M, is just don't be so quick to pull horses or people/riders to pieces on an open forum whether you believe it or not; if it was derogatory about you or your horses, you wouldn't like it so why dish it out to others, it's not fair or professional and I'm sure most on here would prefer to be thought of as a professional type of person with professional standards even though many, myself included, are amateurs at this breeding game.
Some will agree with what's been written about the different stallions, some won't; I can't say as I wasn't there but what I can say is I absolutely agree with you about the breaking and riding of such young horses. With the exception of racing TBs, it goes completely against what I have ever been taught or put into practice myself and I wouldn't want it to become more commonplace just because a very successful stud does it so it must be alright type attitude from people that really don't appreciate the damage they can do to their young horses or have the ability of the stud's staff. It obviously works for that stud, that can't and shouldn't be denied (much as I would like to I'm afraid) but not many people (thank goodness) have the same amount of experience of breeding and breaking dressage youngsters as they do. What anyone does with their own stock is of course entirely up to them but like you Magic, I would hate for others to think it's the norm but sadly that would be the overall impression given by displaying those young colts under saddle.

chrissie1

Visit site
Anyone who has ever taken a youngster to an Evaluation, or as we have been involved in while helping friends going to the UK KWPN inspections, will accept that their pride and joy will be praised AND criticised, in public with scores posted for all to see.

It may be that the vet gives a low score,everyone who wasn't there to hear what was said will be asking themselves why. Or the vet marked highly but the movement score was low.

People have passed comment and judgement on the Internet on individual horses scores at Evaluations, freely discussing what they thought of the animal concerned whether it be its conformation, movement, condition,you name it.

So I fail to see the difference in saying what you saw and what you thought of a stallion at an event such as Addington. Plenty of comments have been passed about stallions both there and Hartpury, 'light of bone', 'poor attitude', 'wasn't scopey enough in front over a jump' etc.

I went to Hartpury but not having 'staff' at home had to leave before the dressage stallions, so drove to Addington specifically to see one stallion.

christine48

Visit site
Anyone who has ever taken a youngster to an Evaluation, or as we have been involved in while helping friends going to the UK KWPN inspections, will accept that their pride and joy will be praised AND criticised, in public with scores posted for all to see.

It may be that the vet gives a low score,everyone who wasn't there to hear what was said will be asking themselves why. Or the vet marked highly but the movement score was low.

People have passed comment and judgement on the Internet on individual horses scores at Evaluations, freely discussing what they thought of the animal concerned whether it be its conformation, movement, condition,you name it.

So I fail to see the difference in saying what you saw and what you thought of a stallion at an event such as Addington. Plenty of comments have been passed about stallions both there and Hartpury, 'light of bone', 'poor attitude', 'wasn't scopey enough in front over a jump' etc.

I went to Hartpury but not having 'staff' at home had to leave before the dressage stallions, so drove to Addington specifically to see one stallion.
Like!

tristar

Visit site
totally agree with magic on this one, it does'nt matter who you are if you work horses too young it sets bad example and makes you wonder if they really are so knowledgable.

4 years old is plenty early enough to start ridden work with any horse.

i say this from not only my own experience from breaking and training horses, but seeing what has actually been the sad end result from working horses too young.