Stay Safe Scotland

rhino

Visit site
The worst of it has not hit us yet (east coast) but sounds like it is on its way!
Think flooding is the biggest risk here as the rivers have already broken their banks due to the meltwater after the snow at the weekend :mad: :(

proctor

Visit site
The worst of it has not hit us yet (east coast) but sounds like it is on its way!
Think flooding is the biggest risk here as the rivers have already broken their banks due to the meltwater after the snow at the weekend :mad: :(

Blimey, sounds awful. What are the authorities doing to help?

dumpling

Visit site
We've lost power but got it back briefly. Don't know for how long! Brought pony in, others are still out. Lots of flooding aswell as branches/debris on the roads.

Goldenstar

Visit site
the wind is getting high here now ( Northumberland ) no sign of the awful white stuff though hope it stays away as I have a lesson with Nicola
Wilson on Saturday will be cross if I can't get there.

EventingMum

Visit site
It's really dreadful here on the West coast - all the schools are closed and several roads are closed. Fortunately we have had no structural damage so far and at least during daylight we can be vigilant - I just hope the winds lessen before tonight. None of the horses have objected to staying in today so it must be bad!

Chestnutmare

Visit site
i too am thinking of you all up there.... and all your animals hope you all stay safe!!

I have read that the worst is yet to come to you around 3pm - via yahoo.com that was as a news flash.

Do really hope you all stay safe and no structual damage happens

its very very windy here too in east anglia

Jingleballs

Visit site
It's been horrendous here this morning - our area is to get the worst of it between 2pm and 9pm today.

I've spend the the morning trying to stop my fence from being blown into the next village - I'm not winning that battle.

It actually feels dangerous being outside and I've managed to hurt my back trying to brace myselfs agains some of the worst gust.

Still got to go up and sort the pony too!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Ive just driven back from an appointment i had to go to and lets just say i wont be venturing out again. We've lost bits of our fence and there are some big branches down, I took the short drive along to visually check my ponies and they appear fine but the worry is the river that borders their field is very high and rising. Usually id bring them up to the paddock by my house but trying to lead them up the road when i can barely stand up is not a option and being pregnant too, just too risky so poor loves will have to stay where they are for now.

saz5083

Visit site
Yup, sounds like the worst is still to come for us (east coast, central belt), just in time for going to sort out horses! My work are closing the buildings at 3pm and are advising staff to take all reasonable measures to get home safe.
Hope everyone and their horses stays safe in this weather and its blown itself out by tomorrow!

rhino

Visit site
Blimey, sounds awful. What are the authorities doing to help?

Not a lot it would seem :rolleyes: Passed several gritters out earlier, not a lot of use with the amount of rain that has been falling! At least most authorities made the decision to close schools at a reasonable time, hope all the kids get home and stay inside :)

It's deadly calm, dry and sunny at the moment, very much the calm before the storm I fear :(

MagicMelon

Visit site
Am sitting in the office here listening to it howling outside. Its alright at the moment as its not raining / snowing - if that starts (forecast for snow next 2 days...) then with these winds it'll be proper blizzards. Snow is easy enough to deal with until it starts drifting then driving is far from entertaining. Yikes, thats the power fluttering on and off now! May get to go home early if that goes off ;)

proctor

Visit site
Not a lot it would seem :rolleyes: Passed several gritters out earlier, not a lot of use with the amount of rain that has been falling! At least most authorities made the decision to close schools at a reasonable time, hope all the kids get home and stay inside :)

It's deadly calm, dry and sunny at the moment, very much the calm before the storm I fear :(

Gritters?! Like you say, pointless, will just be blown and washed away. They should save it for when it's actually going to help!

Marydoll

Visit site
Its blowing a hooley up here the now.
The roof's been blown off clackmannan primary school, just over the bridge, my lights are flickering big style, candles at the ready, dinner made, just in case ive no power later.
My guys are in, i have every faith in my stables( a big stone barn ) theres no way i was leaving them out, i got a taster of whats coming at 10.30 this morning, id put them out for a while before the storm started to get going and we had hellish horizontal rain with sustained wind, they couldnt wIt to get back in. Will go down later to check them out.
That said ive managed to dry a load of towels and jeans, and thats through the rain !!

liannexsx

Visit site
Got the horses in at 11. Didn't know what to do for the best...in stables with roofs and doors banging or out in pens n risk debris flying about. Pretty much thought they are at risk either way but they should be more comfortable in stables and less risky for us bringing them in whilst wind not at it's highest. 2 year old still stood bucking and broncing on end of lead rope once she was in. Now to worry for rest of day. Power flickering on and off in house. :-(

-Sj-

Visit site
Our local council building's roof just blew off! roof slates falling onto employee's car in the car park - nobody hurt though

all bridges closed.

rhino

Visit site
:eek: at the photo above.

Roads shut locally due to 'dangerous' wind turbines... So lucky that stables themselves are super well protected from the wind (in an old Walled Garden) but it's pretty nasty out there now.

saddlesore

Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. West coast of Scotland is nuts atm, flooding and lots of trees down, roads closed, schools shut and buses and trains off! :eek: All of our horses are out - a gate hit the roof of the stable block and brought some of it down. Scary stuff :(:(

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Had my boy loose schooling out in arena for a bit, he was fine, is a bit nervy in his stable, not much I can do about it.
All the wind farms are switched off, so much for free power!
TV went out this am, but tbh that is normal service when wind is >40mph

-Sj-

Visit site
It's really picking up here in Fife, my hubby works over the bridge and I think he's camping out in the office late as the forth bridge is staying shut untill 7.
Dread to think we're not at the peak of hurricane bawbag yet!

Quadro

Visit site
Pretty windy here so the horses came in at 1! On the plus side the forth bridge is closed so i couldnt get to uni so had the day off! House has been shaking and im pretty worried about the tiles on the stables!!
Q

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Had my boy loose schooling out in arena for a bit, he was fine, is a bit nervy in his stable, not much I can do about it.
All the wind farms are switched off, so much for free power!
TV went out this am, but tbh that is normal service when wind is >40mph

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Its mental here ( Edinburgh) and i think our company is the only one in the building not been sent home.

If I am Hurt or my car is damaged on the way home I will NOT Be happy.

Hope everyone is safe, and horses are managing ok!!! X