Laurx

Visit site
Hi all,
Looking for recommendations for what’s the best stirrup to buy. I‘m trying to find something that will help with lower leg stability, gives support and has good grip for general purpose and jumping?

I was looking into freejumps due to the grip they offer and the safety aspect of them for when showjumping/cross country or I’ve heard JIN stirrups and Avacello Arena AluPro stirrups are good too but I’m just not sure.. I’ve never tried any of them before, so I’m not sure if they’re worth the money or if they’re a hype or not?

What do you recommend?
Thank you!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Jins for me, I find them comfortable underfoot and a good weight to catch easily if you lose a pedal. you can get cheaper versions, HKM do some for instance. I think the Jins wear a bit better having had both. I think if you can, I would try some different kinds because what works for one person is horrible for another (I can't bear any kind of flexi stirrup for example).

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Have a look at the threads/ articles on some Freejumps breaking. Maybe not as safe as you would think.

I have Sprenger ones. They did safety release me once when I came off backwards/sideways (horse slipped and sat down, then tried to twist to save herself). As I came over, I could see my foot still in the stirrup and the stirrup distort. Because it released I actually landed on my other foot and didn't even fall over. With a different stirrup I think my foot would have been trapped.

Laurx

Visit site
Have a look at the threads/ articles on some Freejumps breaking. Maybe not as safe as you would think.

I have Sprenger ones. They did safety release me once when I came off backwards/sideways (horse slipped and sat down, then tried to twist to save herself). As I came over, I could see my foot still in the stirrup and the stirrup distort. Because it released I actually landed on my other foot and didn't even fall over. With a different stirrup I think my foot would have been trapped.

Gosh that sounds so scary... but sounds like it could’ve been a lot worse! Do they have good grip? My foot can have a habit of sliding through the stirrup so definitely want something that’s got a good grip! I’ve just been having a look at the sprenger ones and they sound really good - says they’re supportive of ankle/ hips/ knees etc and improve rider position which is what I want but definitely want the safety aspect of them. I currently ride in some flexi stirrups because it’s more comfortable on my ankle - are they comfortable like that in that aspect too?

Laurx

Visit site
Jins for me, I find them comfortable underfoot and a good weight to catch easily if you lose a pedal. you can get cheaper versions, HKM do some for instance. I think the Jins wear a bit better having had both. I think if you can, I would try some different kinds because what works for one person is horrible for another (I can't bear any kind of flexi stirrup for example).

hi! Thank you, are they comfortable on the ankle etc? Do they help support leg positioning? Yeah definitely isn’t one stirrup suits all! I currently ride in flexi stirrups and find it much comfier on my ankle but my feet slips through them a lot

Red-1

Visit site
The cheap Flexi stirrups are not the same at all, I know as I tried them and they were sub standard.

I have the Sprenger Bow Balance ones, yes they have great grip. I found them cheaper on Amazon, would you believe. Have 1 pair on my dressage saddle and one on the jumping.

The Sprenger system 4s that I had before lasted 20 years! I then bought new rubber treads and bayed them, and got £80 back still. I only changed as I need an operation on my foot, have to wear size 9 boots, and needed to buy the XL irons. My feet will always bee XW now, so I simply decided to start afresh with wide ones.

Laurx

Visit site
The cheap Flexi stirrups are not the same at all, I know as I tried them and they were sub standard.

I have the Sprenger Bow Balance ones, yes they have great grip. I found them cheaper on Amazon, would you believe. Have 1 pair on my dressage saddle and one on the jumping.

The Sprenger system 4s that I had before lasted 20 years! I then bought new rubber treads and bayed them, and got £80 back still. I only changed as I need an operation on my foot, have to wear size 9 boots, and needed to buy the XL irons. My feet will always bee XW now, so I simply decided to start afresh with wide ones.

Thank you! Seems like a lot of people like the sprenger bow ones looking into them. Are they good for helping to improve the lower leg position/ stability? I think I’m preferring the sound of this to both JIN’s and FreeJumps!

Red-1

Visit site
Thank you! Seems like a lot of people like the sprenger bow ones looking into them. Are they good for helping to improve the lower leg position/ stability? I think I’m preferring the sound of this to both JIN’s and FreeJumps!

To be fair, if they made you ride better then I suspect the would be 10X the cost! I find lunge lessons and a good trainer is the best way to improving leg position and stability, bonus, a lesson is less expensive then Bow Balance stirrups too :D

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I really rate the Avacello Arena Alupro stirrups, find them incredibly comfortable - no ankle/knee/hip pain and am yet to loose my stirrup while riding in them.
I ride for a living and think I'll definitely be swapping them onto each saddle (currently only riding my own due to furlough)

Mojo-dtxo

Visit site
Definitely flex ons! Soo comfy and grippy, you pick what type of tread you want (flat or inclined) and the grip (grip or ultra grip) they also come in a safety stirrup version which are called safe on. You can pick aluminium or plastic and the colour choice is amazing, you can also customise them by changing the little magnet at the top and the shock absorbers!

lillibet7

Visit site
Apologies for jumping on this thread but do the Flex On's have rubber treads or the metal cheese grater type? I am also looking for new stirrups but do not want the metal grippy treads. Thank you!

LegOn

Visit site
I had to give up my Sprengers (which I loved!) because of too many comments about lower leg instability, they had too much flex for me to give a stable lower leg - I sold 2 pairs of Sprengers & now love my Flex Ons! I feel very secure in them and able to work on stability without my knees giving out!!

IrishMilo

Visit site
I really rate the Avacello Arena Alupro stirrups

Second this. I've had Venice Tech stirrups (OK), FreeJumps (hated them - not grippy at all and made my feet numb) and now have the Acavallo AluPro ones and I LOVE them. I would never ride in anything other than a stirrup with an open arm now.

AFB

Visit site
100% - I bought a cheap pair off eBay to try and loved them but the paint chipped off straight away. Upgraded to Jins and the quality is great, they do get scratched so I would go for silver/titanium which won't show them easily rather than the brightly coloured versions personally. The wide footbed helps my lower leg stability massively.

This is what put me off.

I'd be interested in looking at Venice safety stirrups if I was after another pair.

Mojo-dtxo

Visit site
Apologies for jumping on this thread but do the Flex On's have rubber treads or the metal cheese grater type? I am also looking for new stirrups but do not want the metal grippy treads. Thank you!

They have a rubber tread but it’s not soft rubber, they aren’t the cheesegrater type. They have little metal spikes on the tread that your boot sits on x

Cowpony

Visit site
I love my Flex-ons. Great for dodgy knees and the sloped tread means it's much easier to keep my feet in them.

Laurx

Visit site
The flex on stirrups, do they have the safety release feature? And the acavello ones look really similar to the tech Venice ones! For both you can’t have coloured ones in competitions can you?

I think I’m torn between acavello and flex on. I prefer the look of the acavello and the safety release arm, but I think the flex on safe on is it called does that? But I can’t decide which would be better for me...
I ride in flexi stirrups and I just find it makes my lower leg stability go all over the place which then makes my leg come out of the stirrups! Then it’s impossible to gather them back?. However I find that they help with my knee pain because I find it I have to constantly push down against the stirrup it shreds my knees especially if I’m jumping! Out of the two, which do you think?