Stock? Tie? Competition help!

TealH0rse

Visit site
Hi all

I haven’t competed before, but I’m hoping to do some unaffiliated showjumping and dressage later this year. I know they don’t care as much as affiliated shows, I’d just like to look the part.

I’ve got all the gear, I just need some help about ties vs stocks and when to use them.

I have two shirts, one is https://www.dublinclothing.co.uk/dublin-andrea-short-sleeve-competition-printed-inner-collar-shirt and other is very similar, but neck is straight up, not a triangle. They have a stock loop at the back of the collars. Can these shirts be worn alone?

As far as I am aware. Stocks are for dressage, stocks and ties are for jumping. Is it more common for men to wear ties? I prefer them, but I don’t think a tie would work with my shirts (I assume they need a collared shirt?).

Also, separate question but are hairnets commonplace in both disciplines? I’ve seen ponytails for showjumping.

teddy_

Visit site
I would wear a stock for dressage and show jumping.

I think the shirt you have linked would look smarter with a stock - you can get ready tied stocks that are easy to put on.

Ladies only tend to wear ties showing or autumn hunting.

Hairnets are by no means mandatory for unaffiliated competition (and some affiliated) but, I think it looks a lot smarter.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
The shirt would suit a stick but not a tie as not the correct collar.
If I compete my turn out is generally the same I have beige breeches a tweed jacket and generally a stock shirt and stock with black boots I wear this both jumping and dressage.
I do have a collared shirt so I can wear a tie if I want to or if I go showing.
I always wear a hair hairnet as standard for competing in any discipline and even sometimes for clinic/lessons, I just feel it gives a more polished look.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
You can wear either a stock or tie depending on the collar, the one you have linked to is a stock collar so stock. I have various shirts depending on whether it's hot, cold or in between and i wear whatever suits the collar.

Had a quick look at the BD rules and apparently you can wear a round collar too.

Cowpony

Visit site
I wear tweed with a collared shirt and tie when it's cold, for affiliated dressage too. When it's warm I wear my show jacket with a stock shirt and a white stock. Both are acceptable, but more people wear show jackets and stocks for dressage all year round.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Very few people wear stocks or ties at the unaffiliated SJ venues around here (although I think it looks smarter). People tend to dress more smartly for unaffiliated dressage so with your shirts a stock would be the way to go. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to tie a stock - it’s easier than you think

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am old skool so wear tweed for eventing so always wear a tie.
If I am just Sjing then don’t wear anything apart from the collar.
If I am doing dressage and wearing navy then I wear a cream stock.

Squeak

Visit site
I am old skool so wear tweed for eventing so always wear a tie.
If I am just Sjing then don’t wear anything apart from the collar.
If I am doing dressage and wearing navy then I wear a cream stock.

This for me too, although I tend to wear a coloured stock with my tweed and only a tie for showing.

TealH0rse

Visit site
In winter I like a stock, a proper hunting one stops the rain going down my neck and keeps me warm.

I keep seeing them on websites referred to as ‘hunting stock’ or just stock - what is the difference? I plan to buy an untied one, is it how they are tied or are they actually different lengths of material?

Carrottom

Visit site
I was given mine about 20 years ago, and the lady that gave it to me had probably had it 30 plus years!
It is quite thick material with a ribbed texture.

teddy_

Visit site
Hunting stocks are essentially just a long piece of cotton. For the purposes of unaffiliated dressage and show jumping, a traditional or 'hunting' stock is a lot of faff and won't look that smart unless tied properly - which takes practice. My hunting stock doesn't even have a hole for a button, so you really have to be able to line it up perfectly.

I think you'd be better off with a ready tied stock, these can look smart :).