Storm Ciara - What are you doing with horses?

NinjaPony

Visit site
It’s awful here in the Cotswolds. We are keeping in- electric tape plus being on top of a hill is a bad combination. Yard normally feed and turn out for me on the weekend so I can have a lie in, so today they’ve fed them, put in haynets and skipped out. I’m going to head up soon to do a proper muck out and check they’ve got enough hay and water. Normally on a duvet day I would get them both out for inhand grazing but at the moment I’m really not convinced getting them out is a good idea! I just hope this blows over by tomorrow.

meleeka

Visit site
Mine have stayed how I left them overnight. Two in and the others in with doors open. Im ashamed to say I didn’t even muck out, just fed and checked water. I will turf them all out tonight instead I think but for now they are quite happy with mountains of hay.

I’m very pleased to say the shelter OH built me recently is solid as a rock and the only casualty was the 6ft fence between me and the house next door. Thankfully I put up electric and wooden posts the other day as I could see it would happen. My inconsiderate new neighbours have had all the fir trees felled on the fence line without having the courtesy to warn me, obviously not realising that the trees were what was holding the fence up!

SEL

Visit site
Mine were happy out then the fencing started to look a bit shaky. Posts well overdue for replacement and the ground has been sodden all winter. So doubting my usual baling twine fix would stand up to 50mph gusts they are both in and stuffing their faces listening to the radio.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well , it’s stopped raining and the wind has dropped although it’s not gone and there’s small patches of blue sky the birds are busy on the feeders !
its a Lull its to get worse from twelve .

canteron

Visit site
For those leaving the horses out (like me) are you giving them more hay? I think it must be pretty exhausting standing in those winds for a couple of days? (My field is relatively sheltered but still pretty jolly windy!)

rara007

Visit site
Our fields are gross and dangerous to hoon about in so they’re in. They’re used to staying in other than a leg stretch in the arena in awful weather as we’re on clay.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Was up early enough to have her out for 8, she was screaming to come back in so she came back in at 11. I was impressed at how politely she came in, even though it was crabwise.

She was right, she was only in for a few minutes before rain came in horizontally!

We are all sofa surfing now for the rest of the day.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
For those leaving the horses out (like me) are you giving them more hay? I think it must be pretty exhausting standing in those winds for a couple of days? (My field is relatively sheltered but still pretty jolly windy!)
Mine are on ad lib till it subsides, 3 out of 4 really dont need it, but it's only 36 hrs of extra hay, to bolster spirits up out there in the wind and rain.

beingachicken

Visit site
I had planned to turn out this morning as usual and was filling field weather ready when a huge bog board flew and nearly wiped me out ?. There were another 5/6 in the pile ready to take off so I left In just in case! It’s the first day In I’ve done this winter so not too bad!!

Asha

Visit site
Turned mine out about 10am , felt a little smug , all behaved perfect. A bit blustery but not too bad . An hour or so later well , I guess the storm really hit ! Had to run out bring them all back in . My jeans started to fall down as I ran back and forth , but as they where that soaked through I couldn’t pull them up . I just hope the neighbours weren’t watching otherwise they’d have seen the moon??. All happy to be back in tucked up

Surbie

Visit site
I honestly don't know what to do - mine is in at the moment and am just off to the yard to assess if it's safe to turn him out. His fieldmate is out 24/7 and there is very little shelter. Am not looking forward to driving in this to be honest.

Well, put him out at 7.15am, in his bridle cos I'm not taking chances with a 600kg kite. It was a bit hairy getting him out there past the Mordor that is the road surfacing yard, but once he was in the field he was fine. He's staying out overnight, with the lovely YM checking on him for me before she goes as I really don't fancy my chances of getting him in again in this wind. We opened up the field to remove any wobbly tape, so there is plenty to eat and he has a neck on as well as his normal 50g turnout. Aaaaaaaannndddd breathe!

Brownmare

Visit site
Mine are living out with access to a yard with a ring feeder and a barn. I have had to shut them out of the yard this morning because we have lost one roof sheet off the barn and another two are flapping. They seem ok though and can at least shelter under the hedge.

skint1

Visit site
Mine are in. Their fields are very open and already not that great, the last couple of times we've had weather like this, horses who were turned out have come in injured because of fencing or farm debris or branches down from the nearby trees. My mare is not that happy, but the gelding is delighted. It's only one day, and most of the yard are in.

J&S

Visit site
I opened up the stables at 8 this morning for ponies to go out after their breakfasts, the building shields them from the wind direction today. They had hay nets on the yard fence then hung around in the shelter of the building and I don't think they have left the yard! They can go inside if they so wish or of out to the field. We have had high winds and nasty drifting rain but think it has been far worse in other areas, we are in S. Devon. However, even as I speak heavy rain has started to batter on my study window. I expect there will be debris every where tomorrow. Early night for ponies I think.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine are on ad lib till it subsides, 3 out of 4 really dont need it, but it's only 36 hrs of extra hay, to bolster spirits up out there in the wind and rain.

Mine too, but mostly because they're leaving it to graze up the other end of the field where it's more exposed :rolleyes: But we haven't really had much of it today, it's not been too bad.

Louby

Visit site
I got to the stables this morning, reset the electric fence posts them put them out. It was blustery but they made their way down the field and were fine. Took my time doing my jobs and it suddenly went wild, the field looked like a lake in minutes. Id rang the hubby asking if he would come and help me get in as its not the easiest set up with gale force winds. We were like a scene from Im a Celebs cyclone challenge ha ha :D it was horrendous but I was amazed how sensible my usually over dramatic girl was! Ponies were glad to be in, we were peed through ha ha.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A bloody HUGE thank you to my new Temporary Livery who only moved in on Friday! A section of post and rail had come down, 4 posts uprooted and bars off or hanging, she very kindly offered to help me fix this, I'm so used to struggling on my own I couldn't stop saying thank you! It wasnt even where her Fuzzy is out either! Fingers crossed that the fix lasts till I can replace posts and rails this week.
All done in sideways rain, yuk!

CavaloBranco

Visit site
Our two in today, it's been the first time this winter and we get the gales coming straight in off the Downs. They seemed quite happy but I would really like them out tomorrow, it's been too wild for even a leg stretch.

catkin

Visit site
it was horrendous but I was amazed how sensible my usually over dramatic girl was! Ponies were glad to be in, we were peed through ha ha.

yes, chapeau to my ponies today too!
Usually they are a right pair of playful jokers, particularly when I'm on my own and bringing them both in together -

not today, very very sensible (they did ask for a big bonus of peppermints when everyone was safely undercover though)

scats

Visit site
Still ridiculously windy here today, though no rain at the moment. I’m going to have to try and get the girls out, they didn’t leave their stables at all yesterday as it was actually too dangerous on the yard to get them out (debris flying everywhere). It’s forecast here to stay like this until Wednesday!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Still got strong winds here too and we are alternating between blue skies and rain/sleet/snow.

The girls have had breakfast in bed. Just finishing my coffee before I go and fix the electric fencing which is pretty much everywhere and then the girls can go out.

BOWS28

Visit site
Still ridiculously windy here today, though no rain at the moment. I’m going to have to try and get the girls out, they didn’t leave their stables at all yesterday as it was actually too dangerous on the yard to get them out (debris flying everywhere). It’s forecast here to stay like this until Wednesday!

Snap! Terrifying yesterday and we lost part of the indoor school roof which was only replaced about 18 months ago!
Girlies were more than happy in their stables yesterday with plenty of hay. Winds got up to 76mph at the worst and i lost count at the amount of trees that came down.
I'm stabled in an american barn and in all honesty in there it sounds like the world is about to end. Horses funnily enough not bothered by the noise, more offended about the hay blowing in their faces when they poked their heads over the door!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
more offended about the hay blowing in their faces when they poked their heads over the door!!
:D
85122468_2441495562623213_2813129344665255936_n.jpg

this was an actual photo of me trying to hay the horses in the field yesterday.
I wished there were some little bales left because trying to unwrap sections of a big round was pretty impossible. In fact I think if one of the neighbours had been filming, they'd have got their £250 from You've Been Framed :rolleyes: To add injury to insult ;) it was a spiky bale with thistles in it, about 90% of which ended up stuck in my clothes. FFS.

BOWS28

Visit site
:D
85122468_2441495562623213_2813129344665255936_n.jpg

this was an actual photo of me trying to hay the horses in the field yesterday.
I wished there were some little bales left because trying to unwrap sections of a big round was pretty impossible. In fact I think if one of the neighbours had been filming, they'd have got their £250 from You've Been Framed :rolleyes: To add injury to insult ;) it was a spiky bale with thistles in it, about 90% of which ended up stuck in my clothes. FFS.

Keep your eye out for you to feature, i'd be expecting half of the £250 ;)
I soak hay so was filling buckets yesterday with the hose. Turned to watch a tree in the back field fall with a friend as the wind caught the hose, flew it out of the bucket and straight down my back... Yesterday was a bad day lol.