Storm

Hollychops

Visit site
1 in at night as shes an veteran (33) and has a rug on as well. The truffle pig is still out with his fly rug on and will remain so all winter (minus fly rug). Has access to a stable but wont use it. The big man is in at night now. We are on clay so the rain of the last few hours has caused lakes in the field rather than puddles so there will be a few duvet days on the horizon

Asha

Visit site
Mares and foals in last night . Tbf they were at the bottom of the field and didn’t want to come in . But they must be grateful this morning . Others out with shelter as normal .
Hope everyone else is ok

Birker2020

Visit site
Horrendous drive into town with the water lying on the road, but like almost every day of the week I am the only silly sod who has turned up so far. I am getting very disillusioned about my job and this thing where everyone else works from home and doesn't even ask permission and I do ask and then I am told no, is grating on me as is the incident yesterday when I clearly heard one half of a teams call about the near miss I reported and my boss, the one who is meant to have my back and support me and culture a whilsteblowing culture for H&S and near misses was clearly annoyed I'd reported the fellow that didn't do his job properly and nearly let a lorry reverse over some kids. The same one that told me to calm down in my meeting.

Glad when today is over, spin class tonight at the gym to look forward to/dread. :)

Have a good day folks and stay safe in this awful weather.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Horses out 24/7 as normal.

Friend's mare is on restricted movement and we moved her little paddock up the hill last night thank god because this morning where she had been for the last couple of weeks is under six inches of water. They are a bit fed up but not cold and have plenty of hay to keep them occupied.

It's not nice in North Yorkshire but so far we have been so much luckier than those in Scotland. The stress of dealing with the inability to travel to horses and ensuring they are safe must be massive! Stay safe Scottish posters.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Horrendous drive into town with the water lying on the road, but like almost every day of the week I am the only silly sod who has turned up so far. I am getting very disillusioned about my job and this thing where everyone else works from home and doesn't even ask permission and I do ask and then I am told no, is grating on me as is the incident yesterday when I clearly heard one half of a teams call about the near miss I reported and my boss, the one who is meant to have my back and support me and culture a whilsteblowing culture for H&S and near misses was clearly annoyed I'd reported the fellow that didn't do his job properly and nearly let a lorry reverse over some kids. The same one that told me to calm down in my meeting.

Glad when today is over, spin class tonight at the gym to look forward to/dread. :)

Aren't you on some kind of temporary contract? Why on earth do you stay there?

It's raining and windy here but not cold. Horses were out over night and must feel OK because they are nowhere to be seen from the house/yard. They aren't bothering with the shelter. I will take some more hay soon and check them over.
I am meeting a friend for lunch, the fastest route is along the M62 but I shall go the longer way round for safety.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Aren't you on some kind of temporary contract? Why on earth do you stay there?

It's raining and windy here but not cold. Horses were out over night and must feel OK because they are nowhere to be seen from the house/yard. They aren't bothering with the shelter. I will take some more hay soon and check them over.
I am meeting a friend for lunch, the fastest route is along the M62 but I shall go the longer way round for safety.
No its a perm job, I've been here over 4 months and love the work itself and the location and everything but its the management style that grates on me.

Its the best money I've earnt to date and a decent pension and other benefits so I'd be daft to leave. And the hours are amazing too.

As for the weather I think it was quite warm last night. I visited the yard to clear out my stable as its being used until I find another horse and was joking with my friends about how liberating it is to not have to ask fellow liveries the age old question "How are you rugging tonight?" :) :)

ponyparty

Visit site
Mine’s out in a 50g. She’s unclipped but doesn’t have a huge amount of hair being a TB; and her no-fill rainsheet is only 600D which I don’t think would withstand this amount of rain! I have to say all 3 girls looked utterly miserable in the rain on Wednesday. Stood in a row, bums to the wind; I imagine that’s what they’ll be doing this morning (YO feeds in the morning currently). There is a big hedge and some trees for natural shelter but they seem to prefer standing in the open (!). I wish our stables were finished as I’d prefer to bring in for a few hours to let her dry off, scoff some hay, and put some mud fever barrier stuff on her legs 😕 that’ll be the next thing…

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Very heavy rain here in South Cheshire, fields and roads are waterlogged. Horses are out.

Thumbs up to a very helpful response from Cumbrian Heavy Horses where I was booked in today for a pre paid 2 hour farm experience ride. I was going to drive the 260 mile round trip today leaving home at 6.30am to be there reliably for 11am. She rang last night and has allowed me to postpone my visit til a mutually suitable date with better weather before the end of November. The rain is not as heavy there today, but they are getting gale force winds. Today’s ride will be going ahead, but without me.

Melandmary

Visit site
I am in Derbyshire, my fields are on the river bank and it has burst its banks- I have 5 acres under water almost over my wellies fast encroaching on their hardstanding and barn- I have come off my night shift but daren’t go to bed in case they need to be moved. The sluice gate further up from me clearly hasn’t been opened. I wish I could put photos on- it is literally a lake running across my land😳

Bellaboo18

Visit site

Feel like we're having similar experiences lately! I used to be the person that always turned up and asked if I could wfh (thought I'd go about it the right way) and got told no even though everyone else just did it 🤷🏼‍♀️
I nearly lost the plot last winter on the day it took me 2 hours in the snow to get to the horses and still got to the office on time to find no one else there. Anyway I handed in my notice and ta-day now I work from home 🙄

Very frustrating!

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine are in. We’re in the Peaks and exposed to the wind and rain and they’d just be staring at me looking depressed. The flat fields in front of the yard are getting waterlogged so will be out of bounds for a bit. Thankfully have some sloping fields but they come with acorns so a bit of fencing in the rain later!

Ricedance

Visit site
Mine has been in for the past 2 nights but out both days with a rain sheet (unclipped native) our roads are pretty bad and the footpath I walked yesterday morning at 4 inches of water is now a fast flowing torrent of about a foot.

Landcruiser

Visit site
It was a horrendous night in Wiltshire and lots of roads are blocked with floodwater. We have a stream which goes under the road and crosses between our two west paddocks, with a foot/horse bridge between. I’ve never seen the water so high, half way up the near paddock and any number of vehicles stuck in the floodwater on the road. I fear our bridge may have washed away, still too much water to tell. The horses enjoyed a play in it thoughIMG_2389.jpegIMG_2387.jpeg

tda

Visit site
Just had OH on phone, hes at kings cross, all trains heading north cancelled as electrical fault at Grantham, but luckily after half an hour calming him down, they just announced its up and running again.

Edited at 15.26, train currently sat near Grantham , 8 trains in front, they've been there for the last hour 🙈 I told him he's lucky sat in warm and dry 😂

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
tin hat firmly on for this post :D:D:D

here on Dartmoor we have had a lovely ride T shirt, jeans and just a tabbard. Bright sun, beautifully warm. Horse has gone out in his fly rug. Took the 2nd horse out riding, both horse and I sweating in the heat. Clear sky and sun still shining. All water has soaked away in the fields and all horses out on grass and without rugs to get some sun on their backs.

Sorry for everyone who is struggling. Hope they have not had losses.