Storm

PurBee

Visit site
The storm hit me yesterday and today west ireland - theyve been in the ‘dry lot’ area with a big shelter and large bed, plenty of hay - should be calm enough for the fields tomorrow.
They tend to hunker down in their open shelter, and come out when it calms a bit, before the next session of heavy rain and wind.

Im adding boiled water to their cold water trug to warm it a bit, as they tend to drink less when the weather suddenly turns cold, windy and wet. It being tepid rather than very cold helps them drink more. With them being in , eating more hay (than grass) and not moving as much i want to keep their guts well hydrated and moving.

Widgeon

Visit site
Ugh, yes! All still out as usual (with hedges for shelter) but I've just been up to put his snazzy new Highlander on and stamp in the electric posts *really deep*. No rain yet up here....just a lot of wind.

I had to stop on the way out of our village to shift a massive (as long as my estate car) tree branch off the road, and there's quite a lot of dead wood down already, which doesn't fill me with enthusiasm for the next few days.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Out, clipped and lightly rugged (natives who don't loose weight easily!). They only have natural shelter but are used to living out and have extra haylage during bad weather (on restricted grazing). They seem to dislike hot weather (over about 25c) but not be bothered by bad weather as long as they aren't cold and their food arrives on time. When they were in a field with a proper shelter they only used it to escape flies in summer, never went in it during wet weather.

It is a windy area but the field doesn't have any trees/branches etc likely to fall on them, so I think the windy weather ends up annoying me more than the horses. In the middle of winter if it has been relentlessly wet and muddy they come in to the stables for the occasional day (~8hrs) to give them a chance to lie down to sleep and to allow their feet to dry out a bit.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's really windy and wet here in Hertfordshire but it's so warm but wanted in about 5.30 and they are still in but will chuck them out later as its meant to stop raining, they only had sheets on but they were not cold they just don't like rain and wind.

SEL

Visit site
Out. PSSM mare rugged in her 50g and Babycob also rugged otherwise he gallops around like an idiot. Microcob is hairy, fat and unrugged.

They have shelters and hedges but it's actually pretty warm here.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Ours are out 24/7 at the moment but rugged, they have some trees etc… they weren’t impressed this evening! Put on the 50g tonight given the rain… midlands so not too bad.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
All in, with sheets on except for the mare who is still in her sweet itch rug as midges are still bad around here! If I left them out in this I can guarantee someone would gallop about and end up having an accident. They also much prefer being in in this weather. They will go out tomorrow morning and I’ll assess the situation and review the forecast again before tomorrow night as it looks like it might be bad again here. In which case they will be in again.

Peglo

Visit site
Out, rugged and have shelter from a neighbours house. Hoping electric fence stays up. No rain yet but starting to sound pretty windy. Field has dried nicely today as it’s been breezy. Ponies were pretty high tonight so think they know it’s incoming.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The wind was pretty wild today. I was dithering about riding Fin because he's a bit of a weirdo with these big low pressure systems coming in. I was on Hermosa in the school, faffing about, had been there for about 20 minutes, and my friends rode up to the gate asking if I wanted to go on a long hack. Circa 1.5-2 hours I waffled about Fin. We were getting 40mph gusts, which fills his bucket (to use a metaphor from my other thread), and being miles from home with him having a meltdown is no fun. Been there, done that. My friends pointed to Hermosa and said, "You could take her." I said, yeah, but we can't hammer the trot work because I'm still being mindful of what we run on and how far. They said, "That's no bother, we can mostly walk." So Fin got winged into his field and Hermosa did about 10k in the 40mph winds and was fine.

She'll get tomorrow off no matter what. Jury is out for Fin. Depends on how apocalyptic it is. Friday looks even worse. Ugh.

They're both in their fields. Fin is naked and Hermosa has a rainsheet.

Ratface

Visit site
Old Horse is usually out in the daytime, unless the weather is dreadful. He comes in at night to immaculately- managed thick straw beds, full haynets and a perfectly-curated dinner. He's currently not rugged, but YO is the expert in Old Horse management and he has a range of rugs for her to choose from.
We're on flat, well managed pasture, so unless he decides to have one of his hoolies and slips over, he should be alright. Fingers crossed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Out as usual with access to both north and south facing field shelters, both of which get much used.

This 50g Rambo Wug has been a superb buy for the PSSM mare. It doesn’t slip or rub, and I can chuck it on for those iffy days where the forecast is uncertain. You can see why rain doesn’t get in round the neck area.

IMG_0061.jpeg

The other two don’t have Wugs, and are currently in their no fill Rambo originals with 50g airmax liners and no hoods.

Last edited:

SDMabel

Visit site
Tucked up for the night - last night , out today and then in tomorrow morning again as we have heavy rain forecasted all day.

Heavy clay soil up here and on the side of an iron-age hill fort so very exposed .

Will ride her instead to get a leg stretch in ( can't wait for that :oops:)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
We are on Devon Clay. The Red Stuff. Not helpful.

Yesterday it p!ddled down from dawn to dusk, and beyond. Thoroughly miserable.

Last week we were riding in our short-sleeves; this week have had to turn-out waterproof trousers and all the moths have flown out!

A nice Crisp Autumn would have been nice, but don't think we're gonna get it. Half Term here next week too. Blimmin typical that the forecast is equally dismal I believe.

TPO

Visit site
Ours have been in overnight for a while now [to help the ground and no shelter in Fat Cobs starvation maze].

They have been out naked, for the first time ever, after reseeding, we have loads of good grass. So they are fat and fluffy. They don't do anything all winter due to lack of facilities, so it's fine to have them hairy.

They've had a long lie today and been chucked out with rain sheets for a couple of hours. That means they get a leg stretch while they're mucked out. It's forecast to get much worse as the day goes out, so making the most of it just now.

Well, my parents are. I'm "wfh" cosy on the couch with a sleeping dog 😅

mustardsmum

Visit site
Mine are both out naked, loads of grass, big field so they can move to keep warm. NF has an Irish clip (so has coat where a rug would be) BRP is unclipped and naked. Both warm and happily in the middle of their fields chomping. Good hedges and trees for shelter but I have only ever seen them use it when the flies get bad. Brought them in this morning to ride, within the hour they were dry.It’s 16 degrees here in the day and 10 at night (south west). Those were fairly normal temperatures in the summer back before climate change messed the seasons up, and I would not even considered putting a rug on in the summer. My rugs stay away until it’s properly cold. I swear my two are enjoying feeling the rain on their backs. And yes, one is grey ….

tristar

Visit site
in at night all year, currently in 200 grms, very roomy lightweight rugs with neck up or down accordingly, not clipped but not hairy either ,but no doubt will have goatie beards later

generally by gates around 6 30. expressing anticipation of lovely dining experience