Storm

PurBee

Visit site
Weird question but with how storms are named, does it just go through the alphabet until its gets to Z or does it "restart" the alphabet per year?
Im not sure if this includes uk and ireland but i was reading an article about this and ireland starts their storm season from sept 1st starting with A - this years names were picked based on noteworthy scientists.

Storm J tomorrow here at least looks like it’ll remain under 100 gusts, so im a bit relieved!

PurBee

Visit site
OH has to go out so he’ll be taking the chainsaw to clear any fallen trees he might come across, once we’ve cleared the tree blocking our drive to get out! It was a lovely big birch, but will be useful firewood.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
We still keep losing power here but at least only occasional gusts of strong wind (nothing like last nights!) The old barn down the field has losts its top door, at least it blew inwards and didn't go flying around looking for a horse or donkey to eliminate. One of our house guttering lengths is loose but still attached, my gardening chair that is left in a sheltered corner of the house is now in pieces in my front paddock! :rolleyes: Oh and one 8ft wooden fence is now about 4ft tall. That will have to be fixed before the dedicated runner is allowed out for her next break, if she spots that she will be over and gone.☺️

I am not looking forward to a second round with yet another storm, lets hope it isn't as bad.:(

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

Birker2020

Visit site
I walked the dog round the block last night when it was really stormy as she was asking for a walk and I wanted to try my new coat (it's amazingly warm) and some of the ridge tiles to one of the apartment buildings by our house had blown off onto the pavement.

I got home to find our fence panel had fallen into next doors garden so we were fixing that at 9.45pm last night!

Got to work to find all the herras fencing had been blown over!

Hasn't been that blowy for a long time.

Esyllt

Visit site
Was out at 5am this morning repairing blown over fence posts to keep the sheep in before work! The wind was so strong and the ground so wet they'd just leaned over very dramatically. All braced up before another one hits us tomorrow... I think I've had enough weather for a while now!

Ricedance

Visit site
I’m hoping it won’t be too bad here, I’m having a minor surgical procedure today and if everything has blown everywhere (read electric fencing becomes a tangled mess) I’m not sure how up to it I will be to fix it tonight or tomorrow morning. I can’t turnout without fixing it. It survived well on Sunday night but does need some time put into it soon to rebuilt and resection

setterlover

Visit site
Torrential rain again today in West Wales not so windy but blowing rain straight in your face! Must have rained heavily overnight as water running everywhere we are high up so drain quickly but pity those already flooded as this is not going to help .
Having lived here for 15 years we have never had a winter like this storm after storm!

tristars

Visit site
I’m hoping it won’t be too bad here, I’m having a minor surgical procedure today and if everything has blown everywhere (read electric fencing becomes a tangled mess) I’m not sure how up to it I will be to fix it tonight or tomorrow morning. I can’t turnout without fixing it. It survived well on Sunday night but does need some time put into it soon to rebuilt and resection
fasten all your gates, tighten it up if poss

Ricedance

Visit site
Thank you tristars, he’s out in the field now so gates done up, I have span all the top wires this morning and hooked on the bottom and middle doubly if that makes sense! He will be very sensible regardless but I just don’t think I will be able to cope with fighting it all tonight after I bring him in

Squeak

Visit site
It's not really stopped raining and blowing a gale here since Saturday :( Hope this one isn't as bad as the last one for everyone.

Combined with the summer where it just never stopped raining and this winter where it's been continual storms it really has been rubbish weather.

Ricedance

Visit site
Blowing a gale out there, mines inside after some help tonight after I was more sideways than I thought I would be. I have help on standby for the morning for horses, none for the pup but one missed walk won’t be a killer

southerncomfort

Visit site
Been absolutely hideous here all day.

Supposed to have stopped raining by now but its still absolutely lashing it down.

Please 🙏 let this be the last storm for a while.

scats

Visit site
Awful winds here this evening. I was poo picking after work and the wind actually took the poop scoop out of my hands and across the field! I think that was the strongest wind I’ve ever felt.
Some of the guttering from one of the barns has come down and a metal sheet was hanging off the barn and flapping violently.
I genuinely felt a bit wary walking around the farm as things were at real risk of flying off buildings. If one of those metal sheets had flown off and hit me, I doubt I’d have had a head left!

Archangel

Visit site
Torrential rain again today in West Wales not so windy but blowing rain straight in your face! Must have rained heavily overnight as water running everywhere we are high up so drain quickly but pity those already flooded as this is not going to help .
Having lived here for 15 years we have never had a winter like this storm after storm!
Horizontal rain here too near Brechfa Forest and the wind is really going for it now.

I am a little bored with the storms now.

setterlover

Visit site
Today has been absolutely dreadful persistent rain and wind getting stronger by the hour blowing the rain in your face . I've got totally soaked doing horses and getting the dogs out and I have 3 coats and 2 pair of trousers drying on the radiators.Took the dogs down to the indoor school at 8pm and it was scary the wind was so strong everything was rattling ( all well secured but the noise was quite frightening).
I really hope we get a break from this soon as it is so stressful just doing normal day to day tasks
It's now 10pm and the wind is still strong but I think subsiding a little hopefully we will get some sleep tonight without worrying about what we will wake up to in the morning.
This winter has proved very stressful.