Storms. Horses in or out.

HG95

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 yard owner blocked off access to field shelters last night as one of them is standing on it's last legs. thank god she did as this huge tree came down last night and the shelter is still standing

Attachments

• received_324831959704261.jpeg
    received_324831959704261.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 78

Sealine

Visit site
I've just noticed a photo of the actual field my horse is in at the moment is illustrating the 'Battening down the hatches' article on H&H today's top stories.

I will stick to usual routine of out in the day and in at night.

vmac66

Visit site
Mine will be in tomorrow. The electric fencing had snapped overnight last night and the wind wasn't as strong as its going to be, also have hail forecast which she hates. She has solid brick built stable with a proper roof so she'll be more than happy to stay in.

foxy1

Visit site
I'd rather my horse was safely in than galloping around the field all day. We have solid brick built stables; if we had wooden stables then they would be out.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Bloody glad you have never been in contact with my boy, not all horses 'just get used to' he hates being out in bad weather and will do whatever it takes to get himself in
Mine too. Even if we had paddock turn out , he'd probably last an hour.
Mine is happy staying in with his hay and thankfully doesn't care about wind , hail on the roof or even people ripping trees out behind his stable.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Well the warning for here has turned to red. The boys went out for an hour and a half whilst I mucked out etc. and then I took the dog for a walk.

It really wasn’t much windier than normal up until about 9.30. However no other horses were out and by the time I got back with the dog they were both waiting at the gate. So they’re now in for the rest of the day.

I’ve just got home after stopping off at Asda and the wind is really picking up. I’m sharing my lounge / hallway with two wheelie bins to stop them disappearing up the road and blowing my recycling everywhere.

HashRouge

Visit site
Well the warning for here has turned to red. The boys went out for an hour and a half whilst I mucked out etc. and then I took the dog for a walk.

It really wasn’t much windier than normal up until about 9.30. However no other horses were out and by the time I got back with the dog they were both waiting at the gate. So they’re now in for the rest of the day.

I’ve just got home after stopping off at Asda and the wind is really picking up. I’m sharing my lounge / hallway with two wheelie bins to stop them disappearing up the road and blowing my recycling everywhere.
We're red too. I'd love to leave mine in but we have a huge oak tree just behind our stables and I just can't take the risk of it coming down when the horses are in. Their field is quite sheltered down at the bottom so hopefully they'll be sensible and stick down there, rather than up at the top where it is very exposed. They were quite happy to go out this morning so fingers crossed all will be okay!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We're red too. I'd love to leave mine in but we have a huge oak tree just behind our stables and I just can't take the risk of it coming down when the horses are in. Their field is quite sheltered down at the bottom so hopefully they'll be sensible and stick down there, rather than up at the top where it is very exposed. They were quite happy to go out this morning so fingers crossed all will be okay!
It’s difficult isn’t it? I’m worried that maybe our stable roofs won’t stand up to the wind but luckily no surrounding trees. But the boys told me their preference was in which is unusual for them and who am I to argue? Hope we all are unscathed. So far we haven’t had much rain and it’s actually quite sunny if windy.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I’ve kept in today. It’s half and half at our yard but my boy is an absolute terror - really spooky in the wind and will gallop around and wind everyone else up. He also escaped a few days ago and I’m thinking if there’s any day the fence will go down it will be today. I’m not risking an injury today. If he was more chilled out, I’d probably put him out, even if just for a few hours.

HashRouge

Visit site
It’s difficult isn’t it? I’m worried that maybe our stable roofs won’t stand up to the wind but luckily no surrounding trees. But the boys told me their preference was in which is unusual for them and who am I to argue? Hope we all are unscathed. So far we haven’t had much rain and it’s actually quite sunny if windy.
It's so tricky! I imagine I'm not too far from you (also Sussex) and we had a lot of rain overnight but now it's sunny, albeit very windy. Should dry my field up nicely! I'd have definitely left in if it wasn't for that oak tree, although mine are both fairly sensible and we have a reasonable amount of grass. They were grazing happily (in the most exposed part of the field :rolleyes:) when I left them.

Annagain

Visit site
Ours are in for the first time in 20 years at the yard. YO wanted them in. I would rather they were out but so be it. I was there this morning and they were settled but a bit confused. My friend's new one is a little jumpy but the others couldn't care less. I took A for a stroll around the yard just to make sure he's not too stiff and given him a couple of Danilon, staying in doesn't do him much good. I also took M for a wee but he wouldn't go and I ran out of time so I had to put him back in. He'll really have his legs crossed by now. Stupid boy for refusing to wee in his stable!

YOs' thoughts are that the husband is there on his own and if a tree went through a fence, he'd struggle to catch 7 excited horses (or 12 if both fields were affected, that would require two trees coming down so I doubt it) and didn't want to risk them getting onto the road. I always think the chances of them being under the wrong tree are less than those of getting squished if they're captive in a stable that collapses.

A petrol station a few miles away has lost its roof.

alsxx

Visit site
Mine are out today, although they all came in last night (normally just the shetty in at night, other mare in during day and youngster stays out). I don't trust my old, wooden stables in high winds and would rather they were out than risk a collapsing stable on them. Its hard knowing what to do for the best. Husband has just checked them and all fine animal and building wise, but we are Kent and we haven't had the worst of the wind yet...

wiglet

Visit site
I'm on full livery so it's whatever the YO decides. Apparently they have gone out but will be brought in around lunchtime because the winds are picking up then and the fields are surrounded by woodland. The safety of the yard staff is also a major consideration - most horses get flighty in high winds and the staff shouldn't have to handle unpredictable horses.

Surbie

Visit site
Mine is out, with all his field buddies. The wind is SW and that will rattle straight through the slatted barn he is in. I'd rather he were grazing - he's not normally a plonker out in storms whereas being in a noisy stable wouldn't help him settle. Fingers firmly crossed.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It's hard to know what is safest. I think I will leave mine out but change their rugs to ones with leg straps so they don't blow over their heads.
In Scotland, my Tb mare was in during a storm - the roof blew off her stable as she stood in it.
This is my fear! We currently have a grain trailer on the yard directly in front of the stables, my lorry and a combine harvester to try and break the wind as much as possible.
All this however means mine are stuck in and couldn’t go out now even if I wanted them too!
New one does tend to be quite unsettled in bad weather though so I figure best off inside.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
2 still in and 4 still out :D
The shelter has been tied down with strops and straining posts and so far it's still where it should be. it'll be matchsticks if it goes flying again :oops: the outdoor girls have their bums in the most sheltered hedge and are faring well. Neighbour's huge tree has flopped down and there is debris in the field but it has left my fence up so.. happy days. Think OH will go and chop it up so my folks might get a firewood top-up again... we only just took down a massive dead Ash in the fenceline so there's no shortage as it is :p

Tarragon

Visit site
Mine are field kept, and access to 10 acres of windy hill top in the Peak District, but have access to stables, where I hang their daily hay net. The hay is gone each morning, so they are happy to use the stables like that, but I have never found them to choose to use their stables as a shelter, whether from sun, flies or bad weather.
So they are out and choose to be out.
I bet that like me though, they are tired of this weather and just want a few quiet days to catch up on some sleep!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm in the amber alert area. Was able to keep mine out for much longer than I'd expected. This morning there were a lot of of calmer intervals in between the squalls. Since 1pm it's become consistently miserable, and so were they, so in they came.

I'd got the stables and steamed hay prepped for a 24 hour stabled stint for all 3 if needs be. They usually live out.

No obvious major damage yet, so fingers crossed.

2619A39D-30EB-4991-BDA1-E6C8905DAD51.jpg

Asha

Visit site
I'm in the amber alert area. Was able to keep mine out for much longer than I'd expected. This morning there were a lot of of calmer intervals in between the squalls. Since 1pm it's become consistently miserable, and so were they, so in they came.

I'd got the stables and steamed hay prepped for a 24 hour stabled stint for all 3 if needs be. They usually live out.

No obvious major damage yet, so fingers crossed.

View attachment 87680

same here, they where all happy up until an hour ago. So all tucked up now

Mrs B

Visit site
Tried to turn mine out at 7.30am but he screamed blue murder and started pelting up and down - he'll keep going until he comes down/pulls a shoe/injures himself so fetched him in again.

Rather glad I did as we're right on the south coast in the red zone and Boy! did it get crappy shortly afterwards ... and the yard's in the middle of a forest. Apparently, an hour after I got home, trees started coming down like nine pins ...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am soooooooooooo glad I turned mine out. The shed roof came apart, it is metal box profile and still attached by one panel the 2 sides and the pitch roof bit were hanging off 1 ft and a half which was still attached and bashing and slamming against my mares window and scratching , it she would have freaked had she been in. I won't leave mine in ever since a horrific storm in the 80's where the roof caved in on three stables with horses inside, electric cables handing down also in the inside..

Our shed and the 80's roof.

Attachments

• 20220218_153642.jpg
    20220218_153642.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220218_153718.jpg
    20220218_153718.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 131332208_10221553206611358_8543810377349552185_n.jpg
    131332208_10221553206611358_8543810377349552185_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10

SEL

Visit site
I need new shelters ? One totally destroyed and spread over an acre. Must have gone with one h*ll of a force because there were pieces of wood buried so deep into the ground we struggled to pull them out. The roof made a deep trench in the ground and ended up 2 fields away. All horses unscathed miraculously.

The other 2 shelters were up against the hedge so have shifted up and twisted but not fallen apart thankfully so can hopefully rescue them.

Lady in the next town showed a photo on the local news showing a sudden drop in pressure on her barometer so I'm guessing it was a fair gust.

So my weekend is clearing fields.

MagicMelon

Visit site
We had our crazy storm a while back (followed by two more recently) up in Scotland, I left mine out as thats what they were used to and I saw too many field shelters blowing away so I worried for my stable roof coming off. Thankfully it didnt but I felt they were safer out.

spookypony

Visit site
Mine were out during Arwen, Barra, Malik, Corrie...they usually live out 24/7, and I would have had to empty the tack and stuff out of the stables and put two together anyway, and I thought they'd be more frightened inside. They were also nude, as they usually are, because I didn't want rugs ripping and getting caught up in things. They spent the night in a dip in the ground huddled together, and were fine. And a huge tree came down (in Malik), missing my trailer by inches and landing on the stable roof, thankfully only damaging some tiles! So it's a good thing they were out and huddling in the dip in the ground instead.

Annagain

Visit site
We lost a roof off the YOs wood shed (it's bigger than that makes it sound). Judging by the damage on the buildings opposite it missed the horses in the back stables by a couple of metres. This is why I'd rather them out, that could have been any of the stable roofs. Five trees also came down but none in the winter fields where the horses would have been.