'strange' breed combination?

Kat

Visit site
i rode a couple of stunning little horses when I was younger - they were a driving pair of Norwegian Fjord x Hanoverians. They looked like small warmbloods, but were dark dun, with silver manes and tails, primitive marked legs, and dorsal stripes. I really really wanted one of them to event, but they were very successful driving horses, so I got short shrift when I suggested a career change!

My friend bought a fjord mare that had a surprise foal that was fjord x hannovarian! Sadly I didn't get to see how he turned out as she sold him once weaned and lost touch with him.

Kat

Visit site
I've had some lovely ID X Arab horses, didn't look like either an Arab or an Irish Draught, they were just really nice tempered, chunky, classy little guys. The Trés Sangres is an interesting cross (TB X Arab X PRE), if you like a very high-powered, workaholic ride!

I used to know an Arab x ID mare. She was lovely, had a prettier face than most IDs, and had an arab tail, but she was bigger and chunkier than an arab. They bred two lovely anglo arabs from the same mare then put her to an ID stallion that they had used successfully on their TB mare before.

Caol Ila

Visit site
One of my favourite horses at a riding school in Australia (we lived there for a year) I took lessons at when I was about 12 was a chestnut Anglo-Arab mare. I loved that mare. Could not ride for sh1t, but she happily packed me around their XC course, incompetence and all.

bubblensqueak

Visit site

Cob Life

Visit site
Don’t rule it out!
Obviously most aren’t big but one I sold this year was about 17.1hh. I knew a horse many years ago called Master Diligence who went round Badminton and was at least 16.2hh if not more. Lisa Marie Ferguson’s team/Olympic horse, Honour Me, is 17hh+
If one came up that was big enough I’d snap it up like that!
I’d like something about 15hh so the Welsh x tend to come out at just the right height

ihatework

Visit site
If one came up that was big enough I’d snap it up like that!
I’d like something about 15hh so the Welsh x tend to come out at just the right height

Oh I thought you meant they weren’t big enough. There are loads of 15hh Welsh/PBs! I class that small ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
There's a girl nearby who bred her beautiful Fjord to a Thoroughbred stallion. The foal is magnificent.
We had a fjord cross Welsh pony on our yard, too. He was a very useful sort with a lovely nature.
I wonder if its the same one I see on FB now and then (my mare went to same stud, so I follow their FB). The foal looks lovely.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
This thread is giving me weird and wonderful ideas for a future Mimosa foal.

Mimosa x Fjord might be on the small side.

Mimosa x PRE feels like it would be fairly hot. Welsh D is a double dragon horse.

Thb feels to flimsy, and an Akhal Teke would be shiny but a lot of work.

Rocky Mountain is black not red so I have no idea how the colours would play out.

Maybe a nice Frederiksborger or a Gelderlander. I do like a chestnut and the odds are good.

?

shamrock2021

Visit site
My horse is non traditional Irish sport horse. dam is traditional Irish sport horse and her sire is a Irish draft. She looks very stocky you would think she is a cob but she is amazing horse.

ihatework

Visit site

Mimosa x PRE feels like it would be fairly hot. Welsh D is a double dragon horse.

Rocky Mountain is black not red so I have no idea how the colours would play out.

Maybe a nice Frederiksborger or a Gelderlander. I do like a chestnut and the odds are good.

?

There is a Morgan horse called moss rose triumphant that I think would be an awesome off the wall cross

Jennie951

Visit site
My first pony was a Cleveland Bay X and I’m pretty sure the mysterious cross was something of a complete **** bag. Taught me a lot but didn’t half make 13 year old me cry a lot.

Arab X seem to be the ones I come across most and I can see why (for the most part). Very pretty horses with lovely movements.

Orangehorse

Visit site
There is a Morgan horse called moss rose triumphant that I think would be an awesome off the wall cross

There were some Fjord x Morgans, I saw them as foals, but I think they turned out to be beautiful and useful. The stallion was dun.
They also had a shetland x Morgan and everyone said "how?" (the stud was on the side of a hill!). I think the vet bought the foal.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have see some lovely top end competitive x shires. I think if you put a proper shire in front of event people / dressage people they would die. But the x's can seem to come up with wonderful work attitudes (which goes a long way when competing) if the x gets the physical attributes in
My friend had an absolutely gorgeous Shire X TB which evented. He was really lovely

VioletStripe

Visit site
TB x natives are some of my favourites - I used to ride a TB x Highland and I adored her. I would love to breed a Connemara X TB from the same sire as my current full Connie, who the the kindest natured horse I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I used to ride a Haflinger X Welsh called Custard who was very successful at county level jumping and was the naughtiest, sweetest b*gger in the world. Beautiful horse too, sort of a very pale golden chestnut dun? Peculiar looking, though very pretty!

Annagain

Visit site
Mont's sire was a 16hh TB and his dam was the result of next door's Shire colt getting to a Section D mare, she was 15.1. He was an attempt at breeding a show cob. It went a bit wrong - he's 17hh for starters!
NT3z3Gi.jpg

Auslander

Visit site

?
Be very careful about Gelderlanders. Lovely horses, and can make useful riding horses, but they are very much built to be harness horses - I've ridden a few and they were like square wheeled bikes - so bloody uncomfortable!

Wonderlander

Visit site
Be very careful about Gelderlanders. Lovely horses, and can make useful riding horses, but they are very much built to be harness horses - I've ridden a few and they were like square wheeled bikes - so bloody uncomfortable!

Not necessarily true! I have a traditional Gelderlander, jumps 1.10s and schools at medium. Incredible adjustable stride, so much power and very level headed. Maybe I was very lucky with him, but i would highly recommend the breed for riding horses!
facebook 2.jpgfb1.jpgfb2.jpg

conniegirl

Visit site
I've got a Welsh x KWPN and it's not a great combination. Very difficult to fit a saddle due to her big warmblood shoulder and short Welsh back. I never know which part of her brain I'm going to get either - the opinionated Welsh or the "make me!" warmblood ? Love her to bits though, and she's a great allrounder. A really good jumping pony and tries hard for me in dressage. when she's not trying to take charge.......
I had a welsh x Kwpn.
He was incredibly beautiful to look at but dangerous to ride.
He got the worst of both breeds, the fire of the welsh and the brain of the warmblood. The shher bloody mindedness of both breeds. Combine it with the athleticism of the WB and the power of the welsh.