Stressed

LittleMonster

Visit site
If you were closer Jess i would've offered to help with your mare!

I'm sorry this has happened! You have done so well with Prince (i've been following but never commented!)
Don't know why people do this to their loan horses :(

Best of Luck!

Bx

poops

Visit site
Thinking of you. Prince is so lucky to have you. As others have suggested, I think it would be good if you can get a sharer for your mare & hang on to your boy.

hayinamanger

Visit site
So sorry you have had these two horrible things kick you in the teeth. Prince has been improving so much, he looks like a different horse now, I don't understand the RSPCA's reasoning there at all but I think the vet will give them a positive report. As for your mare, the loaner has to be held accountable for allowing her to get laminitis, it's unforgivable.

DuckToller

Visit site
Can anyone do a quick summing up for someone who hasn't followed this story?

I am reasonably close and might be able to offer some help, but without knowing the full story I am not sure what help would be useful, and what is going on.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Really? I'm amazed. Looking at your blog the horse shows massive improvement between the beginning and end of September.

The RSPCA can't order the horse to be put to sleep - only suggest to your vet that it may be a course of action to consider.

I'm staggered.

This, and you want any improvement to be steady anyway. Is this their vet or yours J&M?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

slumdog

Visit site
The RSPCA have no legal powers, they can't force you to have him pts, it would have to go to court first. I have no idea why they are doing it but it may be worth taking legal advice, I'd fight them all the way.

I wish I could offer to help, you don't deserve any of this.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Prince is a horse that was liveried at the same yard as Jess. He suffered many years of neglect from his owner, who was reported on several occasions to the RSPCA. The OP managed to work with the BHS in getting the horse signed over to her (with the owners consent) to attempt to give the horse a quality of life he had been without for several years. The RSPCA are now interested - hence them calling on the OP.

Jess has been working with her vet and various other professionals to put Prince back on the road to recovery.

That's the long and the short of it - Jess will correct anything that is incorrect.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
A call to the RSPCA to find out why they think that a) Prince hasn't put on enough weight and why, and b) under what law they believe they have the right to order that he is destroyed.

A call to the vet to find out how long the lami will need treatment for. We've done everything from a week to three months (stabled 24/7).

Once the OP has the answers to those two questions then a more considered decision can be made.

Even if the OP decides to have Prince pts, the horse will know nothing about it. All he will know is the continuation of love and security from OP, which he'll know until his last moment.

Visit site
This, and you want any improvement to be steady anyway. Is this their vet or yours J&M?

Both my vet practise is the one they use for cruelty cases.

Prince is a horse that was liveried at the same yard as Jess. He suffered many years of neglect from his owner, who was reported on several occasions to the RSPCA. The OP managed to work with the BHS in getting the horse signed over to her (with the owners consent) to attempt to give the horse a quality of life he had been without for several years. The RSPCA are now interested - hence them calling on the OP.

Jess has been working with her vet and various other professionals to put Prince back on the road to recovery.

That's the long and the short of it - Jess will correct anything that is incorrect.

This is correct

A call to the RSPCA to find out why they think that a) Prince hasn't put on enough weight and why, and b) under what law they believe they have the right to order that he is destroyed.

A call to the vet to find out how long the lami will need treatment for. We've done everything from a week to three months (stabled 24/7).

Once the OP has the answers to those two questions then a more considered decision can be made.

Even if the OP decides to have Prince pts, the horse will know nothing about it. All he will know is the continuation of love and security from OP, which he'll know until his last moment.

They believe he is still grossly underweight. You've all seen the pictures, i dont edit them or the videos. He looks how he looks.
Lami is recovering, i tried trotting her up today but im terrible at spotting lameness, will have my vet look on wednesday but its not immediately obvious but heat in the feet.

jess what area do you live? maybe we can help?

Colchester, essex

Its my fault. Im a very anxious and nervous person who doesnt speak up and i let people walk all over me. The rspca inspector said that the first visit they ordered was to put the horse to sleep but my vet gave me a month to make inprovements. I didnt think i was being investigated. Just told off. But now it seems the rspca want him signed off as a healthy weight or put to sleep. Just got to see what the vet says now. She hasnt called yet

texas

Visit site
i'm near you but I don't think i have anything to offer other than hugs :( please tell me if you do need anything specific/support and I will see what i can do.

splashnutti1

Visit site
I hadnt seen your story until now, seems to be you have done a fab job with prince hun and so sorry to hear the problems you are having :(

I would love to help but sadly im to far away:(

I hope all works out okay for you and that the vet can see the lovely improvement in Prince xx

jrp204

Visit site
I cannot see that the RSPCA can order a vet to put a horse down when they haven't had ownership transferred to them. They have no legal right to enter property. Are you do or you know anyone who is a BHS member?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I cannot see that the RSPCA can order a vet to put a horse down when they haven't had ownership transferred to them. They have no legal right to enter property. Are you do or you know anyone who is a BHS member?

I think at this stage Jess needs an advocate who can physically stand alongside her and talk with the RSPCA when they next come.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
Surely the RSPCA must realise that it is better for the horse to put weight on gradually?! As long as his weight is increasing surely it's going in the right direction.

They really cannot force or order a vet to put down your horse or do it themselves. Is there something that they have specifically asked you to do that you haven't done?

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I can not believe the RSPCA are recommending PTS :mad3: especially considering they are the same people who thought Carrot & Spud were ok :rolleyes3: - for those who don't know that story they were both given conditions scores of zero by Bransby on the day of their rescue.

Please call the BHS and ask for Lee Hackett who is the Welfare Officer there and see how they can help - they have local welfare officers.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Get back on to the BHS lady .
How does the RSPCA officer not see the improvement you can see in the pictures you post .
They can not Put your horse to sleep with out a very good reason .
Do not meet them alone get some one heavy duty with you and the BHS welfare officer as well.
Try to get an experianced horses friend or a solicitor friend if you have one to go with you do not meet them alone don't be bullied .
Are you keeping wieght tape records and are they ?
If you have a wieght tape reading from when you started get another and prove want he's gained .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Something is strange here it's just not up to the RSPCA to decide to PTS a horse or sign it off they can't even PTS horses in court cases where the owner refuses to have to a horse PTS where the horse is in a complete mess and has been seized with the permission of the police .
Remember Jessi they have no more rights than I would if I turned up at your yard .
They could try to prosecute you but when you told the story they would look pretty silly even for them.
You must find someone to support you if was not over 300 miles away I would come.
Failing there's always the daily mail.

zigzag

Visit site
The RSPCA cannot order you to put Prince down, he is improving, I think I'm also right the RSPCA CANNOT use the same vet as you for conflict of interest.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The RSPCA cannot order you to put Prince down, he is improving, I think I'm also right the RSPCA CANNOT use the same vet as you for conflict of interest.

I think you are correct about the vet.
This is making less and less sense unless the world has changed a lot since I was a welfare officer Prince in his last pictures was not thin enough to warrant thinking of PTS.

zigzag

Visit site
I just looked at the first pics you put up off Prince when you got him, he wasn't a PTS case then, (I have seen a lot worse that were not ordered to PTS) and he looks so much better now

Goldenstar

Visit site
I just looked at the first pics you put up off Prince when you got him, he wasn't a PTS case then, (I have seen a lot worse that were not ordered to PTS) and he looks so much better now

Me too I am beyond confused about what's going on here.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If I lived closer I would also come and give moral and physical support, you have done wonders and this is all very unfair OP.

Just a thought, are you 100% sure that the RSPCA official(s) you have seen are genuine? Not some busy bodies acting out on some power trip or in cahoots with Prince's old owner perhaps?

Bigbenji

Visit site
I'm a bit confused as well :/
If RSPCA really are insisting on threatening the pts route tell them to meet you there when the local rag is covering the story of your plight to rescue prince and the fantastic progression he had made in such a short time and how the press want to know why they want to put down a horse improving and under vet care.
Never heard anything like it and I've heard a lot of mutts nuts!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

I thought that she meant that both her vet and the RSPCA's vet were involved, not that they were one and the same.

slumdog

Visit site
Are you sure you've understood correctly and they've not said something like about vets doing tests on him to see if he has an illness that's stopping him putting on weight and if they find he has you may need to consider pts?

I just wondered, as it's easy to get mixed up when your stressed and upset and it doesn't make sense. Surely they'd rule out illness before advising putting him to sleep?!