Struggling with hacking

emiliaa

Visit site
Hi everyone 👋
Sorry I wasn’t sure which forum to post this one but I am struggelling with hacking my horse. Let me explain him first, he is a 10 year old KWPN and is my first horse (schoolmaster) he is the most amazing horse schooling and jumping etc but I am having a really hard time hacking him.

On roads we can go for a bit but after about 10 minutes he decides that he doesn’t want to go any further and will do a mini rear and spin back. I can push him forwards a few times but after he has repeated this over and over I eventually cannot control him anymore and I either get off and walk back or just walk back. Fields are also an issue, similar to roads I can walk him around the field for about 10 minutes but after that he will get very strong and he does this thing where he puts his head down to eat grass and when I lift it up he bucks. He is no better in company we were walking behind a horse in the field and out of nowhere he springs into canter and takes himself off, setting the other horse off too. I really would like to fix this as hacking is becoming a big fear of mine so I was just wondering if anyone else has had these issues and what helped. My mum suggested getting a stronger bit just for hacking (he is just in a regular snaffle right now) But I cant see that making a difference?

I tried attaching a video that is an example of what he does on here but it said that the file is too big so I uploaded it to youtube

Thanks, Mimi

Pc2003

Visit site
Oh. What a toad.
It’s the age old thing where he tried it once, got to turn around and go home again. So no reason for him not to repeat every time. And he wins every time. I appreciate it’s not easy. I’ve been there. He looks like he needs someone to tell him to get on with it. He’s an experienced horse who knows the ropes.
What happens if you boot him and push him forward?

Fransurrey

Visit site
What's he like to walk in hand? I don't blame you not wanting to hack him at the mo! I'd try taking him for walks and getting on for the homeward stretch, getting on earlier and earlier each time. He sounds like he's seriously lacking any confidence. Have you had him long? Did he hack in his previous home?

emiliaa

Visit site
Oh. What a toad.
It’s the age old thing where he tried it once, got to turn around and go home again. So no reason for him not to repeat every time. And he wins every time. I appreciate it’s not easy. I’ve been there. He looks like he needs someone to tell him to get on with it. He’s an experienced horse who knows the ropes.
What happens if you boot him and push him forward?
Thanks for replying! If I boot him forward he will refuse to go and will repeat it. Do you think it would be an idea to ask my riding instructor to take him on a hack and teach him? I am just struggling so much as he is very strong (he is 16.3) and he can really scare me with the things he does on hacks, most of the time I just keep going but it always gets to a point where he is just uncontrollable and I have to go home, thanks Mimi X

emiliaa

Visit site
What's he like to walk in hand? I don't blame you not wanting to hack him at the mo! I'd try taking him for walks and getting on for the homeward stretch, getting on earlier and earlier each time. He sounds like he's seriously lacking any confidence. Have you had him long? Did he hack in his previous home?
To walk in hand he is very strong but controllable. I have owned him for about 9 months and he was only used for hacking at his old home in fact I hacked him when I tried him out and he acted like a saint while he was following this pony. Thanks X

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
does he nap in hand?

tbh you could get your instructor or someone to get him hacking but that doesn't mean that he won't do it with you again-its the vicious cycle to him lacking confidence making you lack confidence making him even less confident. Fransurrey's suggestion is a good one-maybe get your instructor to get him going with her and then you?

emiliaa

Visit site
Yes I have, a very calm 11 year old. He was behind her in walk and just cantered off for no reason 😂 which made the other horse go too. I feel very bad as the owner lacked confidence and just wanted to go out for a nice hack, never invited us out again haha x

emiliaa

Visit site
does he nap in hand?

tbh you could get your instructor or someone to get him hacking but that doesn't mean that he won't do it with you again-its the vicious cycle to him lacking confidence making you lack confidence making him even less confident. Fransurrey's suggestion is a good one-maybe get your instructor to get him going with her and then you?
He only naps in hand a little, yeah thanks for the suggestion I think I might ask my riding instructor to come on a hack with me so when he does something she can tell me what to do in the moment, thanks

emiliaa

Visit site
I am sorry to read about the issues you are having with your new horse.
…. I wonder if he was hacked out by himself in his old home?
I am really not sure but my guess is that he wasn’t, I think he was always around other horses as he gets serious separation anxiety in any situation,

emiliaa

Visit site
does he nap in hand?

If you have a trailer, get someone to take you away from home and then ride him, either ride him home or do a circular route and trailer home again
Thats a great idea thank you so much!

joosie

Visit site
I had a look at your old threads and see that you are just 15 (or were last year) and have only been riding for a couple of years. Also that you have been having trouble hacking your horse for quite a long time now - and it sounds like it is just getting worse. I am concerned that you're going to get hurt if you keep at it without help, rearing can be very dangerous and even if they're only small at the moment the issue is bound to escalate if you don't change something.
I would definitely ask your instructor to ride him as a starting point.
As an aside, someone your age should not be hacking out alone on a horse they can't control. Well... nobody should really... but especially someone so young!

emiliaa

Visit site
I had a look at your old threads and see that you are just 15 (or were last year) and have only been riding for a couple of years. Also that you have been having trouble hacking your horse for quite a long time now - and it sounds like it is just getting worse. I am concerned that you're going to get hurt if you keep at it without help, rearing can be very dangerous and even if they're only small at the moment the issue is bound to escalate if you don't change something.
I would definitely ask your instructor to ride him as a starting point.
As an aside, someone your age should not be hacking out alone on a horse they can't control. Well... nobody should really... but especially someone so young!
Thanks, as you can see in the video I am not alone and I do not go alone because of this. I am going to ask my instructor to help with hacking

NinjaPony

Visit site
Honestly, as someone who lacks confidence hacking, I would bite the bullet and get a pro in. At this point, what he needs I think is a firm and confident rider who can break the vicious cycle of him playing up, you backing down and the behaviour being reinforced. Once he can hack sensibly with an instructor, then you could start going for hacks with the instructor to guide you and give you confidence.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, get your instructor on board to see what she thinks. It may be that he’s just needs someone to tell him to get on with it, or not. Her assessment will be invaluable.

Others may disagree, but I find a standing martingale really useful in situations like this as it enables you to keep hold of the head a little better.

But for the moment, arrange for your instructor to get on board before attempting to hack again yourself.

Reactions: TPO

emiliaa

Visit site
Honestly, as someone who lacks confidence hacking, I would bite the bullet and get a pro in. At this point, what he needs I think is a firm and confident rider who can break the vicious cycle of him playing up, you backing down and the behaviour being reinforced. Once he can hack sensibly with an instructor, then you could start going for hacks with the instructor to guide you and give you confidence.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on!
Thank you for this really good advice I appreciate it I think that is definitely the route I will go Thanks so much! Mimi X

emiliaa

Visit site
Yes, get your instructor on board to see what she thinks. It may be that he’s just needs someone to tell him to get on with it, or not. Her assessment will be invaluable.

Others may disagree, but I find a standing martingale really useful in situations like this as it enables you to keep hold of the head a little better.

But for the moment, arrange for your instructor to get on board before attempting to hack again yourself.
Thank you, I used to have a martingale but took it off as I found that it made no difference, I think I will have to put it back on and see if he improves X (not before my riding instructor gets on board first) Thanks! Mimi X

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have to agree with the advice to get professional help. Unless there is some reason that makes it more painful to walk on tarmac compared to schooling and jumping on a surface, he has your number and knows that if he does this nappy performance that you will give up and he can go home. Make no mistake, all this bucking, spinning and leaping about is advanced napping (compared to a horse that just stops) and it is very dangerous. So yes, professional help required.

emiliaa

Visit site
I have to agree with the advice to get professional help. Unless there is some reason that makes it more painful to walk on tarmac compared to schooling and jumping on a surface, he has your number and knows that if he does this nappy performance that you will give up and he can go home. Make no mistake, all this bucking, spinning and leaping about is advanced napping (compared to a horse that just stops) and it is very dangerous. So yes, professional help required.
Okay I will be getting my riding instructors help thanks a lot, Mimi X

Pc2003

Visit site
Thanks for replying! If I boot him forward he will refuse to go and will repeat it. Do you think it would be an idea to ask my riding instructor to take him on a hack and teach him? I am just struggling so much as he is very strong (he is 16.3) and he can really scare me with the things he does on hacks, most of the time I just keep going but it always gets to a point where he is just uncontrollable and I have to go home, thanks Mimi X

You could get your instructor to ride him yes, however that won’t change the fact he knows how to get one over on you! Although it might break the cycle temporarily.
Maybe your instructor walking with you teaching you from the ground would be an idea?
I have to say that’s quite severe napping. It’s more than just a can’t be bothered! Wonder if he did it in his previous home?

emiliaa

Visit site
You could get your instructor to ride him yes, however that won’t change the fact he knows how to get one over on you! Although it might break the cycle temporarily.
Maybe your instructor walking with you teaching you from the ground would be an idea?
I have to say that’s quite severe napping. It’s more than just a can’t be bothered! Wonder if he did it in his previous home?
Yes I think that would be a good idea having her on the ground. I wonder too although I am pretty sure his old home barely even rode him they didn’t own him for long and he was so unfit when I first got him. Although when I tried him out I hacked him behind the owners daughter who was on a pony and he acted like a saint. Thanks X

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

The importance at this stage of getting a professional on board is to see whether it is just a napping issue where the cycle can be broken, or whether it’s potentially a situation that the op can not ultimately manage (or something potentially more serious). If it’s just naughtiness that can be ridden through with confident riding, with the help of the instructor, then all good.

But the first thing is to get the horse assessed.

emiliaa

Visit site
The importance at this stage of getting a professional on board is to see whether it is just a napping issue where the cycle can be broken, or whether it’s potentially a situation that the op can not ultimately manage (or something potentially more serious). If it’s just naughtiness that can be ridden through with confident riding, with the help of the instructor, then all good.

But the first thing is to get the horse assessed.
Assessed for what may I ask? He only acts this way when hacking, If you mean getting his back checked etc I have done all that he is fine, saddle fits perfect got that adjusted, he is not in pain in any way although he is a bit tense in some areas, teeth have been checked and all fine, thanks Mimi x

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
How disheartening. Well at least he isn't completely trying to get you off. I know you said he schools and jumps well so you'd think no issues with tack, teeth, back etc... but horses don't have the brain capacity to actively plan to be naughty so you have to rule that out. There is something else going on - pain or fear. Some horses will stoically march on but thresholds are different for each horse.

Whatever it is, def get someone to investigate. It could be anything from hoof issues to sacroiliac pain to neurological to completely farcical. We had a mare that napped with us. Never got to the bottom of it so we just didn't hack her. Did everything else perfectly, it was just her achilles heel. Then, went to a new home and hacks no problem...... horses, eh? :D

ihatework

Visit site
What you need to ascertain by getting a pro on him is whether the napping is fixable with good positive confident riding, whether there is an underlying issue or whether it’s just not his thing!

It’s not unheard of (and I hate to stereotype, but KWPN comes up a lot!) that horses who have spent the bulk of their riding just don’t hack!

You might have to accept you can’t fit a square peg in a round hole.