Stuck on a Livery yard we don't want to be on!

SilverFilly

Visit site
Hi I'm looking for some advice.

I have handed in my notice at my livery yard. Reasons being I pay for full livery and the care has started to slip since the yard was put up for sale, he came in injured the other day with a wound that was at least 24 hours old and no one had bothered to tell me (I was on nights the previous night so didn't get down to see him). They forget to make his breakfast up, he gets a hay-net no bigger than a football (I kid you not!) at night HE IS A 16.2HH TB! So most of the time when I go down I end up re-doing everything myself just to make sure my horse is fed and watered every day and has a clean stable.

So I handed in my notice, you have to give one month at my yard. However, I have offered to pay her my notice but I want to leave ASAP as my horse is dropping weight and I'm not being made aware of injuries, I basically can't trust the people there to look after my pride and joy and due to my shift patterns he needs to be on Full Livery and I need to be able to trust people to look after him properly if I ever can't get down for a day. She is making us serve the whole notice on that yard which I don't understand. Surely if she gets her money for the month it doesn't matter if a horse is in the stable or not?

I just want to know where I stand :) Please help... :(

be positive

Visit site
As long as you are paid until the end of your notice period she cannot force you to stay, she has no reason to keep you there so pack up and move on, just ensure you don't leave anything behind as she may prove difficult if you had to go back, it is a shame when livery yards cannot offer a decent service and have to make such a big deal about people moving, life is too short in my view.

HeyMich

Visit site
Hi I'm looking for some advice.

I have handed in my notice at my livery yard. Reasons being I pay for full livery and the care has started to slip since the yard was put up for sale, he came in injured the other day with a wound that was at least 24 hours old and no one had bothered to tell me (I was on nights the previous night so didn't get down to see him). They forget to make his breakfast up, he gets a hay-net no bigger than a football (I kid you not!) at night HE IS A 16.2HH TB! So most of the time when I go down I end up re-doing everything myself just to make sure my horse is fed and watered every day and has a clean stable.

So I handed in my notice, you have to give one month at my yard. However, I have offered to pay her my notice but I want to leave ASAP as my horse is dropping weight and I'm not being made aware of injuries, I basically can't trust the people there to look after my pride and joy and due to my shift patterns he needs to be on Full Livery and I need to be able to trust people to look after him properly if I ever can't get down for a day. She is making us serve the whole notice on that yard which I don't understand. Surely if she gets her money for the month it doesn't matter if a horse is in the stable or not?

I just want to know where I stand :) Please help... :(

Did you sign a contract? If so, what does it say?

Even if you pay for the next month in full, the YO can not stop you moving your horse elsewhere! The horse is your property - arrange transport and leave! The YO should be happy with a month's livery costs for free...

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
I can't believe she can make you stay,I would be taking stuff home each day,in case she turns difficult, and move the horse at your convenience.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Agree with BP, if you've paid your notice then I would just ship out of there. It's awful being on a yard where you can't trust the care. Try and get everything out in one go!

Damnation

Visit site
As long as you have paid your notice, leave whenever you want.

YO should be happy in that they can fill your stable early and potentially get a few weeks of a "double up" if that makes sense.

If it were me, I would pay the 1 months notice, then the second you find somewhere else (if you haven't already) and you can move, just move.

Get your things together so that all you need to do is load your stuff quickly, load the horse and go.

SilverFilly

Visit site
Did you sign a contract? If so, what does it say?

Even if you pay for the next month in full, the YO can not stop you moving your horse elsewhere! The horse is your property - arrange transport and leave! The YO should be happy with a month's livery costs for free...

I would need to dig it out I've been on the yard for years! Pretty sure its just one months notice for any contract termination. I just don't think she wants the empty stable, a lot of people are moving lately and an empty yard looks bad

be positive

Visit site
I would need to dig it out I've been on the yard for years! Pretty sure its just one months notice for any contract termination. I just don't think she wants the empty stable, a lot of people are moving lately and an empty yard looks bad

Tough, if people are leaving maybe it is time she took a look at the service she is offering, an empty yard does look bad but that is her problem to deal with not yours, if she was so concerned an improvement may have kept you there.

SilverFilly

Visit site
Tough, if people are leaving maybe it is time she took a look at the service she is offering, an empty yard does look bad but that is her problem to deal with not yours, if she was so concerned an improvement may have kept you there.

It's seriously gone downhill. All the good staff have left, we used to have a small farm ride of 8-10 jumps, that's now gone and we just have a hay field that you can canter in sometimes. Used to have a full showjumping grass paddock, that's now got so many holes in it the horse could break its leg just by looking at it!
I have every intention of paying her my notice, I always pay my bills on time and in full but I just don't want to stay. I've found the perfect yard and I just want to get settled there.

conniegirl

Visit site
I could just conveniently go for a hack one day and just not bring the horse back :')

Pretty much, If you've paid your money I'd start moving stuff out as quick as you can, then either load your horse up and go or hack out.

I have in the past "gone to a show" and never returned!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
The contract works both ways... She is supposed to be taking care of your horse but isn't. You paid for facilities that have been taken away. Your horse has been injured without anyone noticing. You have offered to pay for the notice period and it has been refused....

Just leave.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Are you sure you haven't misunderstood? Seems weird that they would want the extra work, if you're offering to go early! Mind you, I've come across weirder...

SilverFilly

Visit site
Are you sure you haven't misunderstood? Seems weird that they would want the extra work, if you're offering to go early! Mind you, I've come across weirder...

Absolutely. I messaged her with my notice and said I will pay my final rent payment on the 25th which will cover me until the 25th October, but I will leave on the 29th September. She replied saying my notice is a month from the day I spoke to her so I can't leave until the 16th October. I am seeing her again tonight so will chat face-to-face about it.

holeymoley

Visit site
You’ve paid up. Just go, no strings attached. Known many yards that go down the pan once they even think about putting up for sale.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I would start moving my equipment now, so she can't hold on to it. Then I would take the Horse to the new yard. As long as you have paid there is no problem. She should be happy that she can fill the stable and charge rent so she is in fact getting 2 lots of rent for one stable.

mel2

Visit site
Absolutely. I messaged her with my notice and said I will pay my final rent payment on the 25th which will cover me until the 25th October, but I will leave on the 29th September. She replied saying my notice is a month from the day I spoke to her so I can't leave until the 16th October. I am seeing her again tonight so will chat face-to-face about it.

You've paid up.

Your horse is being neglected.

Why are you still there????

webble

Visit site
I think I know the yard you are on. It could take a while to sell and if things are already that bad it could get worse. There is a great full livery yard near to you in Barrow you could easily go out for a hack to one day and not come back - good luck

Greylegs

Visit site
I agree absolutely with everyone else. Remove all your gear (a little at a time if necessary!), get on your horse for hack/load him to go to a show/"take him to the vets" ... whatever, but leave. You have good accommodation arranged and can go whenever you want, as long as you're paid up you can go. Just check he's good to arrive at the new place any time you like ... good luck ...

alainax

Visit site
Wait. She said it’s a months notice from the day you spoke to her, so can’t leave till the 16th.

Does she maybe mean that you don’t have to pay for the next month, (26/9-25/10) and can actually pay pro rata to the 16th?

You don’t work there right? Being made to serve notice is an employer term.

In any event, you just have to pay, don’t have to stay!

SilverFilly

Visit site
Wait. She said it’s a months notice from the day you spoke to her, so can’t leave till the 16th.

Does she maybe mean that you don’t have to pay for the next month, (26/9-25/10) and can actually pay pro rata to the 16th?

I'm not 100% sure, I just offered to pay my notice despite me not using the stable and asked to leave next week so we can get settled before the nights get even darker. I don't work for her no :)

ihatework

Visit site

In any event, you just have to pay, don’t have to stay!

I did wonder if it was just a mix up in communication, especially if done over text.
YO might have actually meant you only need to pay up until 16/10

Fanatical

Visit site
I don't understand why she'd want to make you stay. It would actually benefit her for you to pay the notice and leave as presumably you usually get hay/ haylage/ bedding/ feed included in your full livery price so she'd have the money and not have to supply that for the term.