Tack room in the house - how is yours organised?

maya2008

Visit site
There is no secure storage where our ponies are, so the tack is kept at home. At the moment, it has taken up half of the living room and I feel it would be better to organise the random mess so it takes up less space and is stored better.

I need somewhere to put 4 treeless saddles (so larger than the average but do fit on a saddle rack), 4 bridles (have hook on door for those so less of an issue) and 4 saddle pads (thick so take a while to dry).

What have other people done? I could put racks on the wall like in a proper tack room, or standing ones on the floor…good ideas needed!

Ali27

Visit site
I keep my saddle in the porch on a stand but trying to persuade husband to put saddle rack up on wall! How about a large wooden cabinet with saddle racks inside so it just looks like a piece of furniture?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is no secure storage where our ponies are, so the tack is kept at home. At the moment, it has taken up half of the living room and I feel it would be better to organise the random mess so it takes up less space and is stored better.

I need somewhere to put 4 treeless saddles (so larger than the average but do fit on a saddle rack), 4 bridles (have hook on door for those so less of an issue) and 4 saddle pads (thick so take a while to dry).

What have other people done? I could put racks on the wall like in a proper tack room, or standing ones on the floor…good ideas needed!

Following because we have the same problem, s ofar have considered using the lobby or the space under the stairs (whichis where the saddles are currently but very much in the way)

TGM

Visit site
We use a corner of the utility area in the kitchen. We sourced vintage saddle racks and bridle holders to make it look nicer. We have a wooden work surface under the tack, with a dog bed underneath. We use baskets on the worktop and on a shelf underneath for boots, tack cleaning stuff, spare bits and pieces etc.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
We use a corner of the utility area in the kitchen. We sourced vintage saddle racks and bridle holders to make it look nicer. We have a wooden work surface under the tack, with a dog bed underneath. We use baskets on the worktop and on a shelf underneath for boots, tack cleaning stuff, spare bits and pieces etc.

I think you may live in my house!!

I have some vintage saddle racks and harness hooks on the wall in the utility room. Most of them have been family things for years, but I did pick one up at a local auction and they do come up fairly regularly. I also have a high wooden worktop with a built in dog bed underneath. I have a collapsible saddle rack for tack cleaning which gets put under the stairs when I don't need it, and baskets for all the random bits and pieces which, happily, fit on top of the wall cabinets perfectly.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I am looking into getting a deep cupboard/wardrobe for mine, it is difficult finding a cupboard deep enough to fit a saddle, though.

paddy555

Visit site
our everyday tack. Pink blankets are to stop the cats scratching the saddles which are larger treeless

Attachments

• DSC01240.jpeg
    DSC01240.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 77

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a Stubbs 3 pole saddle rack on wheels which sits in the corner of my unused sitting room for when I bring everything home to wash and clean. It’s on wheels so easy to move around if needed.
I have one of those too. though mine is just behind the sofa in the living room. not exactly a thing of beauty, at some point i'd like to get something a bit more aesthetic made but it will just join the long list of non-essential jobs that will never get tackled!

I leave my bridles and saddle pads at the yard, no space in the house for any more horse junk

maya2008

Visit site
You're going to hate me, but when we restored/rebuilt our 200 year old house we built a dedicated tack room with extra insulation, wood paneled walls, heating, barred window, and enough racking for 10 saddles and 20 bridles.
Jealous! Must be amazing to have!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I had a cupboard built when we had an extension a few years ago. Bridle hooks went up and whoops, the collection of saddles has grown larger therefore now spilt out to a saddle rack in the hallway?. Shelves have hats and clean nummahs. Ikea bag has bits and pieces.

It is also known as the cupboard of doom-due another tidy. ?

Cocorules

Visit site
I converted what would have been a walk in larder into a bootroom and my tack is at one end. I don't have much stuff compared to most as mine live out unrugged all year round and are only hacked.

At my previous house it was on a rack in the porch and before that it all lived in the boot of my car. I still keep my vet box and grooming kit in the car.

J&S

Visit site
Slightly off track, but cortez's tack room reminded me. Several years ago we went to visit the Haras du Pin and were able to walk around. Looked through the windows of their tack room. Magnificent! Panels with dental cornice all the way round, beautiful wooden saddle horses as well as racks etc etc, painted areas a very dull, dark blue. On return OH did up his office with this in mind, same paint colour and dental cornice all round his book shelves that line the walls (he is an author). I did get a wooden saddle horse made by him into the bargain!

paddy555

Visit site
Which saddle racks have you got? Hadn’t thought about cat scratching leather either!

OH made them but I have seem similar on saddle rack sites.
Cats like to sit on saddles. Lovely comfy place to sit and then they start kneading with their claws.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My saddles are in my bedroom, doesn’t everyone do this?

I do have space outside but from a security pov my saddles and bows are in the bedroom. OH’s bikes are in a spare bedroom, my mtb is in the utility room (as are the cats, which OH is allergic to). Bridles etc are kept in feed room/hay shed.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I had a built in wardrobe put into my hall. The depth measurements were taken to allow a western saddle to fit in. It has sliding doors and along one side there are 8 saddle racks and at the other there are two sets of harness racks for the driving harness. In the centre there are 8 bridle racks with another two bridle racks on the inside sliding door where the headcollars hang.

Even the vacuum cleaner lives in it.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Slightly off track, but cortez's tack room reminded me. Several years ago we went to visit the Haras du Pin and were able to walk around. Looked through the windows of their tack room. Magnificent! Panels with dental cornice all the way round, beautiful wooden saddle horses as well as racks etc etc, painted areas a very dull, dark blue. On return OH did up his office with this in mind, same paint colour and dental cornice all round his book shelves that line the walls (he is an author). I did get a wooden saddle horse made by him into the bargain!
We have dentil Cornicing all round our dining room. V smart but an absolute ball ache to decorate… wouldn’t put them in a tack room theyd either look awful in a couple of months or forever need dusting…

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
The utility cupboard in the kitchen is otherwise known as "the horse cupboard" and has 2 boxes of kit eg grooming equipment/ showing stuff/ random tack/ bits also my clippers

My stubben, which I no longer use, and other bridles not in use hang on tbe bedroom door.

There's a pile of saddle pads in the spare room

Rugs live under the bed

One rug lives on the wardrobe to stop Stripey S**t the cat jumping up there after the time he jumped on it, fell behind it, and had to be recovered. Oh there's also a basket of boots and haynets up there

OH loves it ?

Love ihateworks bridle display

My in use bridle and lunge kit, hat etc live in my car. Saddle etc are at the yard

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The tack room/hall of the Royal School of Equestrian Art in Jerez is where I'd like my ashes placed ?, it's a breathtaking room of displayed saddlery art as well as a working tack room.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have the old kitchen larder which has 4 saddles and various saddle pads, also the downstairs cupboard which has 5 saddles and about 20 bridles hanging up. Daughter has recently moved out so now has about 10 storage boxes which has rugs, pads etc.

honetpot

Visit site
We lived in a bungalow and had a huge bathroom the back wall was the utility room, so we subdivided the bathroom, and opened into the utility room. My husband then put a saddle racks the full width across made of wood. The bridle racks were on the back wall, and there was room for boxes underneath the saddle rack.
I am a great lover of the posh shed, you put all the things that are unlikely to get nicked, freezer, tumble dryer, and then you have room for the important things in life. If you make a V shaped saddle rack wall to wall, you can get a lot on it, and need less space as saddles tend to be wider from pommel to cantle. What about an old wardrobe painted and fitted out?