Talk to me about....appaloosas

HuskyFluff

Visit site
To my mind, apaloosa is a colour, not a breed, so this question is a bit like saying 'what are liver chestnurs like'.
I have an apaloosa. He's an Irish Cob. He's a bit like an Irish Cob.

Appaloosa is most definitely a breed and not a colour - you can also have solid colour appies e.g. bay, so they're not all spotty but they do share the characteristics. So your Irish cob is a spotted cob, not an appaloosa.

I have been involved with appaloosas since 1973. Actually I knew two 'spotties' in the late 60's and they gave me the interest in the appaloosa. They are 'different'. Your experience is very much the same as mine. They are on the whole very intelligent and do not suffer fools gladly. They don't like repetition so do not appreciate being asked to do the same thing over and over. As far as mine were concerned if they got it right why bother doing it again. Get them on side and you will have a lot of fun. They can have quite a sense of humour not always matching their owner's. Obviously a lot depends on how much appaloosa is actually in them, many are no more than coloured versions of another breed and don't always inherit all the quirks along with the colour. I bred them for many years and only lost my last in 2017.

They certainly are different. All of this - the intelligence makes them very trainable, but you have to be on the ball with them. Mine is amazing, but then I might be biased... :D

Carmen6

Visit site
Fat head, little pony feets, with thin mane & tail (which I liked because it was easy to manage). Sharp, clever with a lovely araby canter and flag tail.

Bridles and head collars were a nightmare to fit on my chap. He had a 16.3hh sized head but a reasonble 15hh length schnoot. I recokon their necks are short to carry that weighty head.

I have a real soft spot for them, despite the weird eyes and mouldy-looking mottled skin.

For anybody that's thinking of buying one, be warned: when you brush them and there are mounds of hair on the floor - there's never any spots in them. Those spots ARE LIES!!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Our first appy was foundation bred from the Clearwater stud in Southampton. Mike Paskins, sadly no longer with us, bred beautiful horses.
Our ones sire was imported from America, Ulrichs Buckeroo.

He was everything you would expect from a foundation appy

Mike was a lovely man and a huge character. Another family we met at one of the BApS shows at Stoneleigh and became lifelong friends with. He and Jan bred some gorgeous horses.

Ulrich's Buckaroo was imported by Frances Dowse-Brenan as a yearling. Very nice type of foundation appaloosa. Unfortunately had a serious hind leg injury, kick I think, so was never able to be ridden which was a real shame. He was a 'proper' appaloosa unlike the spotted quarter horses so often seen most of which I don't like.
My mare is quarter horse x app. She is by Amazing Blue who was one of the better American types. She is very pretty and a lot to like about her but too straight in the hind leg, typical of a lot of halter type quarter horses. I have only taken her on as a retiree, I would not have bought her as riding horse or brood mare.

When I was younger I loved the quirkiness of the appy but doubt I could deal with it now.

Flame_

Visit site
I know nothing about them, but really love the look of them, am drawn to them. Most ive seen have such individualised markings.
Interesting to read about their mannerisms.…sound quite welsh D-like, arab-ey!

Enjoy your new horse op ? pics would be a treat!

The descriptions of these horses really intrigues me. Whenever I was horse hunting the one or two lighter ones that caught my eye were always being sold for the (sugar coated) reason that no one could successfully ride them. Those adverts inspire ludicrous amounts of challenge and curiosity in me and I want to go and get them. Luckily, I have never managed to actually go and do that since I am, no doubt, no more skilled or competent than everyone else who has failed to ride said horses. I find them a bit enigmatic and, yeah, intriguing.

I love arabs and am a section d fan, although the bolshiness with the bulk is not for me.

The eyes are curious. I kind of like eyes with white showing, but I don't like the sort of pink and or mottled skin in and around the corner of some of their eyes.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
They were, it was so sad how things went wrong.
I lost my boy, by Sundance Kid, about 8 years ago, he was only 17. Was the safest hacking horse you could wish for.
Sundance Kid was a lovely boy, a real family horse. He and my stallion used to be up against each other in youngstock classes, Sundance always won, he moved brilliantly just like his sire 'Kingswood Spotted Wonda' and he sired some cracking horses.

EllieBeast

Visit site
I’ve never been a fan of spotted horses, I went out looking for an over height Welsh D….. and ended up with an appy x tb. In my defence she was bay when I bought her ?

As a youngster she was so stubborn, never nasty but very frustrating at times. After the age of about 5, something clicked and she is now easy as pie- kind, brave, loving, intelligent and has the most hilarious infectious personality. I just adore her. Have fun!!

Attachments

• C06FABE3-D192-4EDD-815B-038D5B2488C6.jpeg
    C06FABE3-D192-4EDD-815B-038D5B2488C6.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 35
  • 8B01AB7C-21A5-41EB-B1C4-7030EF11E4F3.jpeg
    8B01AB7C-21A5-41EB-B1C4-7030EF11E4F3.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 04D1B089-6130-408C-8406-A4A42BD334CE.jpeg
    04D1B089-6130-408C-8406-A4A42BD334CE.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mike was a lovely man and a huge character. Another family we met at one of the BApS shows at Stoneleigh and became lifelong friends with. He and Jan bred some gorgeous horses.

Ulrich's Buckaroo was imported by Frances Dowse-Brenan as a yearling. Very nice type of foundation appaloosa. Unfortunately had a serious hind leg injury, kick I think, so was never able to be ridden which was a real shame. He was a 'proper' appaloosa unlike the spotted quarter horses so often seen most of which I don't like.
My mare is quarter horse x app. She is by Amazing Blue who was one of the better American types. She is very pretty and a lot to like about her but too straight in the hind leg, typical of a lot of halter type quarter horses. I have only taken her on as a retiree, I would not have bought her as riding horse or brood mare.

When I was younger I loved the quirkiness of the appy but doubt I could deal with it now.

We got to meet him and his family on the way back from holiday one year to meet our boys mum and half brother and sister.
If we had the money and time would have brought his half brother, clearwater dreamboy, home with us.

Yes Buckeroo had a kick causing lameness. Mine looks alot like him and most bred true. If I could fine another along the same lines I would snap them up.

SEL

Visit site
This is my part bred - but her dad was a spotted draft horse so she's got 'appaloosa' colouring on both sides. That's given her 2 copies of the LP gene leading to that white bottom and an inability to see in the dark. Also PSSM positive sadly.

Most intelligent horse I've ever owned but I'm not entirely sure that's a compliment. Learns very quickly - from lateral work to manipulating weaknesses in the electric fence. She's fun to have around with a huge personality and I'm pretty convinced she thinks she's part human (but better than the full humans obviously!)

Attachments

• 20210522_095959_resized_1.jpg
    20210522_095959_resized_1.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 41

Spottyappy

Visit site
Sundance Kid was a lovely boy, a real family horse. He and my stallion used to be up against each other in youngstock classes, Sundance always won, he moved brilliantly just like his sire 'Kingswood Spotted Wonda' and he sired some cracking horses.
Who was your stallion EP? PM me if you would rather.
My mare was also the dam of Casanova, who was kept entire, but sold. ?

Last edited:
Visit site
I know nothing about them but they’re really nice, I like them, although the human eye is a little spooky ?. I’m probably not one to ask though as I love Knabstruppers too. My dream horse would probably be a Leopard spot Noriker though! 3B145FBF-7054-4B7F-B792-364224AD0250.jpeg

I became a big fan of Norikers, after seeing Buttercup in the Three Musketeers ?.87F1D28A-F4F5-4416-AE2D-5574480DB768.jpeg

I read somewhere they used fake fur to give Buttercup extra Feather.

Last edited:

TwyfordM

Visit site
I used to help with a lady that had knapp x Appaloosa. Including a foal she bred. Mare was fairly reliable but could be a bit scatty. Gelding (brother of the mare) was absolutely stunning, did really well in everything. Showing, dressage, jumping. But again could be a little sensitive and difficult when he wanted to be.

Foal was heavily desensitised from and early age but still has scatty moments from what I’ve heard. I adored him because he had the best personality, so sweet, playful and laid back for a baby, but bizarrely he was bred out of two stunning horses that were fairly highly strung and nicely put together. He came out ugly as anything (part of his charm for me but he is not a looker!) very odd conformation, massive head etc.

Honestly, I would have had him due to his laid back personality, but his mum/uncle who are more your normal type I wouldn’t touch with a bargepole because they would be way too much for me

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Appaloosas are not always spotty which i found very strange when i bought mine as i always thought they were spotty but its true! My horse only has spots on his face and a few on his bum and he is a Appaloosa

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
I’ve never been a fan of spotted horses, I went out looking for an over height Welsh D….. and ended up with an appy x tb. In my defence she was bay when I bought her ?

As a youngster she was so stubborn, never nasty but very frustrating at times. After the age of about 5, something clicked and she is now easy as pie- kind, brave, loving, intelligent and has the most hilarious infectious personality. I just adore her. Have fun!!
I feel you! I have a 6 year old mix Appaloosa and he is a nightmare very stubborn won't walk forward sometimes or move out of the field and he wont even walk over a pole lol do you have any advice?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I feel you! I have a 6 year old mix Appaloosa and he is a nightmare very stubborn won't walk forward sometimes or move out of the field and he wont even walk over a pole lol do you have any advice?

I have posted on your thread asking if he has been tested for PSSM.

ycbm

Visit site
Appaloosas are not always spotty which i found very strange when i bought mine as i always thought they were spotty but its true! My horse only has spots on his face and a few on his bum and he is a Appaloosa

I went to a western competition once and a guy there said he had deliberately chosen to buy Appaloosas. Both horses were bays with not a hint of a spot or appy type white markings.

ycbm

Visit site
Hi all.
Just for fun!
Just bought a 9yo appaloosa mare. Had her about a month. She's rather different to my cob!
So far she is....clever, opinionated, brave, and very clever with poles/jumps.
How have you found appys to be?!

We've shown you ours ...... ?

Lois Lame

Visit site
This whole is it a breed or colour question I think comes from Appaloosa being bred to all sorts, and nothing wrong with that at all, in fact I like it, but the characteristics of an Appaloosa (to my mind) become diluted.

That 'old' film of palo's was very nice as regards the native Americans, but those horses were not what I would consider Appaloosas. They are curvacesous, solid, and very QHy.

To me, the breed Appaloosa looks very different. They were scantish in many ways, not just in their manes and tails. Their conformation was more TB than anything else. I don't know what was in it, or how they originated or anything, but the Appaloosa of today I see in ads or in person or wherever is not what I consider an Appaloosa (breed) although every man and his/her dog calls them Appaloosa so, yes, maybe their colour comes from Appaloosas but maybe it comes from a different spotty.

Reactions: TPO

GSD Woman

Visit site
I rode some Apps and loved them. One was funny in that he knew when to run to the far corner and the field to nod to the commuter traffic. Drivers would honk their horns and wave and yell to him. He was an ugly horse but had Western Pleasure points. I thought the world of that silly horse.
I also rode a stallion at the same place and he was lovely. Light and responsive and a nice jumper.

After I changed locals I rode a few nice, old fashioned Apps and loved them. Fun, easy horses and I would love to have a horse like that again.

I have a hard time with the non-spotted Apps. I also think the QH built ones just aren't quite right. I don't know if the stud book is still open but it used to allow crosses as long as they had 3 of the App characteristics, such as the hooves, eyes, spots, mottled skin or whatever.

[59668]

Visit site
Here she is! 9 years old, had a rough 18 months in her previous home sadly so is a bit of a project. With her breeder for 7 years where she did everything. Bred for polo.
Out of a leopard spot mare to a leopard spot stallion. Mare was called Irish Twinkle and the stallion she can't remember but was somewhere in the northeast UK.
You can really only see her spots when she's wet!

Attachments

• 20210616_160838.jpg
    20210616_160838.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210605_131058.jpg
    20210605_131058.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210602_163352.jpg
    20210602_163352.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210531_093841.jpg
    20210531_093841.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 32

EllieBeast

Visit site

i bought her as a yearling and she is now 12. We have an understanding ?

I’ve never had any lack of willing when under saddle once she understood what I was asking. She was slow as a 4yo but that was just baby balance issues.

I’ve never sat on another horse that was so quick and wanting to learn.

Her stubbornness was more surrounding loading after a bad experience travelling (the horse she was travelling with attacked her). She is a clever girl and knew full well that it wouldn’t happen again if she didn’t go back in that metal box ?. Cue 5 hours stood in the forest until 10pm on a February night?.

That issue has been sorted for many years now though. You can never force these horses to do anything, you have to get them on side first and then they’ll move heaven and earth to work with you.

The sort of behaviour you’re describing would make me want a vet check first, pssm test definitely especially as he has appy in his breeding. If he gets a clean bill of health then a good instructor would be my next port of call!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Who was your stallion EP? PM me if you would rather.
My mare was also the dam of Casanova, who was kept entire, but sold.
I remember Casanova, very nice horse. My boy was Tibertich Poncho, lost him as a 12 yr old due to enlarged heart. We had a lot of fun in those early days of appaloosa shows.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I have a spotty but he's a knabstrupper x TB. It's interesting to here the breed characteristics for Appys because I would say they are the same for him. He's a real character, into everything, always on the go, intelligent and very trainable.
I have been thinking about getting an Appy because they seem easier to get hold of that Knabs and I would love another spotty. This post has made me think I should.

Visit site
My part bred is a complete character. I love his eyes as they are very 'human' and you can see a lot about his mood from looking at them. He is semi retired at almost 22 now but still enjoys hacking and hunt rides when we can. In his day, he was the most sure footed horse I have ever sat on, a fantastic hunter who would cross any country and jump everything (even at his huge height of 15 hands..!) he has a fantastic sense of humour, has a big buck in him when excited, great stamina, quirky and is very clever. Completely agree with the comment about them getting bored easily and not liking repetition - once he had been hunting the interest in anything in the school quickly disappeared and as far as he was concerned schooling is for babies!

If you can learn to work with them, and think outside the box they are fantastic horses and very people friendly. I love mine and would have another in a heartbeat.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am another who erroneously thought that appaloosa was a colour, albeit that you could also feel the spots as well as see them.

Then my friend in America bought one and sent a photo of.... a chestnut mare! A liver type chestnut, but not one spot. She does cutting with her, the mare is ace knows her job, is very cow-ey (as in watches the cow and instinctively knows which way to spin).

She would possibly be sharp in a 'normal' home, but is ace where she is and uses her brains to good advantage. Her breeding is pure appy.

On the opposite side, when I was a teen I used to work for a dealer. She usually had sporty horses, but on one occasion brought a 17hh heavy in from Ireland. Spotty ones usually sold well, but this one did not. He wasn't particularly athletic, but as a young teen I could hop aboard and go for 3 hours, on A roads, moors, woods, suburbia... he was pretty bulletproof.

She had thought he would sell well as a hunter. Sadly, although spotty ones were popular with kids, he was a proper man size horse, of the time. No one wanted to buy. She wouldn't reduce the price as it would look bad on the rest of the stock if she sold cheap horses. I begged mum to buy him, he was ace in his own way, a real gent. One day he disappeared. I never quite got over it, as I don't think he was sold. I wonder what breed he would have been, a hefty, heavy as any horse, proper appy type mane and tail, white eye etc.