Talk to me about....appaloosas

Esmae

Visit site
Interesting, so nightblindness wouldn’t be something I would need to worry about for mine? (Sire was a spotty but dam was a warmblood?)
I worry about his eyes so he’s in a UV mask most days

Not so sure of that. A friend has a 75% Arab x 25% Appaloosa with night blindness. That was why I asked about it. I have no idea how to test for it but it might be worth while doing if you can I think.

Esmae

Visit site
Was the LP (good catch, Rosietaz) gene on both sides though? Any chance of that?

No idea except to say that the stallion was well used and no others have turned up. I have no clue regarding this kind of thing. Not a breeder and when I did it was a thousand years ago and nobody had heard of such stuff.

SEL

Visit site
Not so sure of that. A friend has a 75% Arab x 25% Appaloosa with night blindness. That was why I asked about it. I have no idea how to test for it but it might be worth while doing if you can I think.
That is unlikely to be related to the appaloosa breeding - night blindness can occur for other reasons. To have the genetic form the horse needs to carry two copies of the LP gene so both parents would need at least 1 copy. I suppose if sire and dam both had arab & spotted blood in them it's possible but LP shouldn't be in a pure bred Arab.

Genetic version easy to test for at Animal Genetics with strands of hair. Think it's about £30

SEL

Visit site
Interesting, so nightblindness wouldn’t be something I would need to worry about for mine? (Sire was a spotty but dam was a warmblood?)
I worry about his eyes so he’s in a UV mask most days
Shouldn't be night blind although there are enough anecdotes of suspected vision problems that I've often wondered if there are other quirks.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Shouldn't be night blind although there are enough anecdotes of suspected vision problems that I've often wondered if there are other quirks.
Yes I’ve heard Appy eyes are ones to watch for quite a few different things! I’ll carry on protecting them of course! Interesting about the night blindness though

littleshetland

Visit site
This thread has jogged my memory. Way back about 100 years ago (actually, about 1975/76) my uncle came home with a spotty mare he bought from Southall market - breeding unknown and aged about 4. I was only young then and had a lovely time with her...slapped a saddle on and off we went! At that time I lived quite near a lady called Mrs De Rivas who had an Apaloosa stallion called Pendean Bobby (I think). Being very young then, I asked this very nice lady if I could put my spotty mare with her rather beautiful stallion...she said yes! I hacked my mare there, left her there for a week or so and then hacked her home again - she napped all the way home! The result was a lovely foal which unfortunately had to be sold with the mare a few weeks later for all sorts of reasons. I often think about that mare and foal. I had absolutely no idea then the DeRivas were something important in the world of Apaloosas! Can anyone here enlighten me about Pendean Bobby?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Pendean Bobby was the De Rivaz first stallion. I believe he came from Ireland originally and he was registered as breeding unknown but the stud manager reckoned his breeding was known but not admitted. I don't know the truth of that. He was a lovely sensible sort of horse, not flashy but very workmanlike. He eventually went to the Tibertich stud up in Argyle. At some point he was gelded and used on their trekking string.

littleshetland

Visit site
Pendean Bobby was the De Rivaz first stallion. I believe he came from Ireland originally and he was registered as breeding unknown but the stud manager reckoned his breeding was known but not admitted. I don't know the truth of that. He was a lovely sensible sort of horse, not flashy but very workmanlike. He eventually went to the Tibertich stud up in Argyle. At some point he was gelded and used on their trekking string.
Thats so good to know. There's every good chance my foal would have grown up to be a good steady sort - like her Dam and Sire. Thank you so much Erin Paddywack for taking the time to post that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This thread has jogged my memory. Way back about 100 years ago (actually, about 1975/76) my uncle came home with a spotty mare he bought from Southall market - breeding unknown and aged about 4. I was only young then and had a lovely time with her...slapped a saddle on and off we went! At that time I lived quite near a lady called Mrs De Rivas who had an Apaloosa stallion called Pendean Bobby (I think). Being very young then, I asked this very nice lady if I could put my spotty mare with her rather beautiful stallion...she said yes! I hacked my mare there, left her there for a week or so and then hacked her home again - she napped all the way home! The result was a lovely foal which unfortunately had to be sold with the mare a few weeks later for all sorts of reasons. I often think about that mare and foal. I had absolutely no idea then the DeRivas were something important in the world of Apaloosas! Can anyone here enlighten me about Pendean Bobby?

I like this little story. It also made me chuckle a bit. Nowadays, especially on the forums, it would stir a panic. Breeding 2 unknowns! Did the saddle even fit? Were the horses sound? She obviously napped because of poor saddle, ulcers, hooves, etc.

Never mind stallions (evil, obvs). Leaving a mare and stallion to breed on their own?!

Then the mare and foal were just sold?

*faints*

littleshetland

Visit site
I like this little story. It also made me chuckle a bit. Nowadays, especially on the forums, it would stir a panic. Breeding 2 unknowns! Did the saddle even fit? Were the horses sound? She obviously napped because of poor saddle, ulcers, hooves, etc.

Never mind stallions (evil, obvs). Leaving a mare and stallion to breed on their own?!

Then the mare and foal were just sold?

*faints*
Lol! yes it does seem rather 'retro'....but thats how it was back then! The saddle probably didn't fit, but Spotty just seem to get on with it - bless her. I had absolutely no notion of wether Bobby would be a suitable match for mine, I just thought 'Spots! lets go for it!' She was always an angel, but I think she had such a good time at the stud she just didn't want to go home, hence the napping! Having an eccentric uncle that popped up with random horses from time to time was certainly interesting. They had to be sold in the end.....something I could do nothing about, but I do regret and think about them both quite often. As they say 'the past is a different country....'

Pippin and Poppy

Visit site
I have a pure bred 21 year old Appaloosa mare. She is the most gentle horse I have ever come across.
When bought she was described as a 'snowflake' but she pretty much turned into a roan. Every year her coat is a little different. As she has aged (I bought her just before her 4th birthday), the few white spots she does have, have grown in size.
As a 4 year old she had a reasonably generous mane and tail, but over the years they have got sparser and more typical of the breed.
She has not been an easy horse to ride as she panics and finds it hard to 'come down' but she has taught me so much.
For ground work she is lovely, reliable and kind and I have used her many times as a demonstration horse.
She is the kind and fair leader of our little band and I love her very much.