Talk to me about Fell ponies...

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
When I was competing in NPS and Ponies UK WHP classes the opens were 3ft to 3ft 3, with spread up to 3ft 6. (yes it was way back in the 80's and 90's, I did this for over 20 yrs). Had 5 different Fell's through to the finals.
Gloi would remember Wolds Goldfinch, possibly Drybarrows Lady Jane too amongst them :)
Goldfinch and I sucessfully completed pre novice in 85 and 86 :)
Fells either jump or they don't as far as i have found.
I certainly remember Wolds Goldfinch :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
I saw a super 15hh overheight Fell when I was hunting for a Dales. I almost bought him but stuck to my original plan of a Dales mare.
I have a 13.2 Fell and she is great. Ride and drive, loves to gallop and pop logs but is a gentle soul as a lead rein for my 4 year old who doesn't ride much. An idiot to hunt but you can do anything else. I'm 5'10 and at her weight limit so don't ride her often but she is super.

Talking of coming down the sizes, my previous main horse was 17.3. I downsized to a Dales for veterinary reasons. Mine scrapes 15hh but takes up my long legs every bit as well as my past big WBs or TBs. Same size bit, girth, saddle as said 17.3 but in a 6'3 rug. Perfect!
Imo both the Fell and Dales ride big. I'm certainly a convert and won't be going back to the larger beasts. Next plan is to drive the Dales and at some point have a foal from her as she is a good example of the breed with excellent blood lines.

gallopingby

Visit site
I might know if one in Devon if you're in that area
Nearly all the breed societies have a sales section on their websites
Sorry to jump on this thread but I'm considering a Fell for my daughter who has outgrown her 12.2.
Any ideas for the best place to look for a Fell pony with a bit experience under its belt?
Most of the breed societies have sales lists so for a Fell look on the Fell pony society website.
You’ll also find the breed description and other info about the breed which might come in handy.

Visit site
When I next need a new riding pony I will be getting another Fell. I had a beautiful Lownthwaite boy who I showed. He did very well in the ring. He was 13.2hh but easily took up the leg and rode much bigger. I regularly went from riding racehorses to him. I even took him out with the racehorses a time or two. He was fun, forward going, a little strong when out in stubble fields/hunting but he had the most beautiful temprement you could ever wish for. He would try his absolute hardest for you! And whilst I'm not much of a jumper he had a decent bit of scope!

I sadly lost him to colic 7 years ago now at the age of 18. I had him since a freshly broken 4yo.

I would honestly have another Fell pony on a heartbeat.

Screenshot_20200819-071401_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200819-071436_Facebook.jpg

Cloball

Visit site
I would love a fell. I think, like a lot of large natives, they can be a bit too strong to be a children's pony however I have thoroughly enjoyed them as an adult. Very surefooted and clever ponies.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
They all look and sound amazing :), after sleeping on it I really don't have the time and/or money for two in full work, BUT you have all helped me confirm that my next horse will be a native (hopefully a fell!)

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Does anybody know (talking totally hypothetically here, well perhaps not as I’m not sure if my current boys arthritis is catching up with him, but that’s another story), if white below the fetlocks on a Fell’s hind legs would be looked at unfavourably by a showing judge?

I’ve read that it is allowed, but not sure if it would be marked down?

Nudibranch

Visit site
It is allowed, and it shouldn't influence. That said, theoretically if you had two inseparable ponies in front of you and there was no other way to place them the white marked could be placed lower. Very unlikely scenario though!

whirlwind

Visit site
There’s nothing mine don’t do! Neither of them are plods but both safe with it, just got plenty of go and will stay all day :)

Attachments

• E7C2FE33-0872-446C-A0F1-6B529D116673.jpeg
    E7C2FE33-0872-446C-A0F1-6B529D116673.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 28
  • B425E19D-21EF-4779-8BEB-1A65F8FF78D2.jpeg
    B425E19D-21EF-4779-8BEB-1A65F8FF78D2.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 231FAFC5-EA18-42F8-B19F-D3B369A2AC1C.jpeg
    231FAFC5-EA18-42F8-B19F-D3B369A2AC1C.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 02A2529D-18EA-4D81-9700-6B6077872D91.jpeg
    02A2529D-18EA-4D81-9700-6B6077872D91.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 31
  • 2753A3DA-F763-493F-B690-95C577299833.jpeg
    2753A3DA-F763-493F-B690-95C577299833.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 64F888D9-09A6-4797-BC70-297AE30758BA.jpeg
    64F888D9-09A6-4797-BC70-297AE30758BA.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 30

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Thought I’d post here again rather than start a new thread.

I’m starting to ‘window shop’, my poor boys pts is imminent, he’s just not happy anymore even in the field ?

So my questions are; what would be a decent budget for a youngish fell? Would also consider just backed or unbroken, but ready to start. Be looking to do a bit of everything and would like to show.

Any common problems to look out for?

Any reputable places to look for one?

I went out riding for the first time with Nicola Evans at the weekend so she would probably be my first port of call when I’m ready. I’ve heard she’s very honest about her ponies.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Nicola is indeed v honest and wont sell unless she's happy with you! Her ponies are generally excellent hacking types but not always county standard as not everyone wants that.
Budget anything from £1,500 to 4k for a pony ridden away, price will very much depend on quality of pony and breeding. I wouldn't expect a good standard of quality to be under £2,500 unbacked or just sat on, but likely a good lot more.
Contact breeders via the FPS as not all advertise.
The most common problem is people..... who rush the backing etc. Fell ponies have very good memories and are very trainable, so unless the person backing or handling them explains properly, a pony can end up with issues due to time not being spent well on the basics.
Good luck with looking.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Nicola is indeed v honest and wont sell unless she's happy with you! Her ponies are generally excellent hacking types but not always county standard as not everyone wants that.
Budget anything from £1,500 to 4k for a pony ridden away, price will very much depend on quality of pony and breeding. I wouldn't expect a good standard of quality to be under £2,500 unbacked or just sat on, but likely a good lot more.
Contact breeders via the FPS as not all advertise.
The most common problem is people..... who rush the backing etc. Fell ponies have very good memories and are very trainable, so unless the person backing or handling them explains properly, a pony can end up with issues due to time not being spent well on the basics.
Good luck with looking.

Thank you :) I would want something county standard so will budget the top end. That’s one thing I liked about Nicolas ponies, they are not rushed and plenty of hacking. Hopefully she’ll have a suitable one when I’m ready.

Are there any breeders you’d recommend contacting?

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I like some of the old bloodlines, tho currently some of these are out of fashion in the ring. You need to be very sure about the showing so as to pick a suitable type of pony.
Some mixed ridden judges have been putting up ponies with coarse hair on legs, non straight manes and tails for example, so non breed people think that's what they ought to have.
Do some research on the different prefixes, the types of ponies they have and are breeding, then look at consistently top placed ponies in Fell breed classes to see what would suit you best.
They are not just 4 different colours ;)

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Got it ? any thoughts on Kerbeck breeding? I use to ride a Kerbeck fell when I was a teenager and he was super fun! Although he would be 34 now if he was still alive.

Last edited:
Visit site
There is a british native pony to suit almost all adult riders they are versatile, fun and very easy to keep. The only exception are those that dream of jumping 120cm and more or competing prix st george dressage and I bet someone will tell me of one that does

I'm sure you could find an overheight connie or one of these excessively huge Welsg D's that could do the jumping part. And possibly the dressage but maybe not so much that. But not a true native pony that lives up to breed standards.

I know of a few Shetlands who could deal with a 120 fence - they would go under it ???

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
I had a fell mare in the 80s who I had to keep in my stallion paddock as she had previously gone over dry stone walls, so well over 4ft. Tho I never jumped her bigger than about 3ft 3 round courses.
Some Connies have a ruddy good pop for height and spread.
There is a very good Dales competing advanced and PSG currently and doing rather well. And dont forget Milliepops who is doing rather well with her Welsh mare at present :)

bubblensqueak

Visit site
i cant comment ridden wise, but my stress head tb is turned out with a 4 year old fell who is THE best babysitter every! its as if he'd been around for years, such a good influence on my boy! their temperament is to die for! placid but not without a bit of personality too!

[139672]

Visit site
Lownthwaite has a Facebook page ‘Lownthwaite Fell Ponies’. I owned a Lownthwaite Fell, Rob II. He was an amazing show jumper and we also did MM and working hunter pony showing.