Talk to me about highlands

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If you have any worry about height/weight of rider you must think about saddle space, their "saddle platform", as with most natives/cobs, will not be the biggest. If you read about them taking a 17.5-18" it's highly likely to be a dinky saddle like a Fylde that is also a smaller ride for the rider. A very wide one will take a wider seat which can help for curvy riders, longer legs may well need a more forwards flap and that extends the saddle panel area slightly, so sometimes you need to go down yet another seat size. Most but not all will take a 17", I have a couple I fit for that only take a 16" and they're both over 14hh.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Leo Walker's young Highland boy is delicious though I have to say ❤❤❤

Hes the most quality pony I've ever owned and an absolutely gorgeous person as well. I must do an update post about him, but for now, this is Braveheart of Loveloch

Hes rising 2 and a bit fugly at the minute but he's going to be seriously special when he's fully grown.

92715272_10157429305198667_477222389013282816_o.jpg

mavandkaz

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments certainly lots to think about - keep them coming!

I'm 5"5 so height should be fine, providing it's a proper chunk, but I am rather 'curvy' shall we says, so I have had reservations about that. Good point on saddle fit, would really need a 17" so will have to be careful.
14.3 cob manages fine so i know it can work out.

Already follow 'hotblooded Highlands' on Facebook, just wanted to gauge if they are the 'norm' for the breed

Basically there is a 3yr old for sale locally which has re-ignited my interest....

Leo Walker

Visit site
Already follow 'hotblooded Highlands' on Facebook, just wanted to gauge if they are the 'norm' for the breed

Basically there is a 3yr old for sale locally which has re-ignited my interest....

They arent the norm, because JFTD isn't the norm. Shes always doing really interesting stuff and has a ball with them. But they can and do turn their hooves to anything. Theres successful driving trials ponies, ponies competing in long distance, working hunter, there's even one jumping BE at lower levels.

Some are finer and hotter than others though. Mines Sirlingdene x Glenbanchor lines which are known for full up, old fashioned types with good temperaments. Hes going to make my cob mare look like a weedy pony when he's fully grown. I think the Morrich ponies are more performance lines and finer.

f you want something versatile and easy going then a Highland might work for you. It would just be a case of deciding what type you prefer and then finding one. There isn't many in the South, but I'd have no qualms buying a youngster unseen especially from somewhere like the Morrich Stud

watermelons77

New User
Visit site
I look after two highland a mare (13.3HH) and a gelding (14.3HH). the mare is only 5 and very moody but has had a lot of change in her life due to other horse passing. they're generally usually very sweet but can do a classic dead stop or turn into a rock. I also ride a friesian x highland mare and obviously friesian and highlands aren't really built for jumping so her max height is about 60cm. on the other hand i'm currently loaning a Connemara x highland gelding who is 22 and loves jumping! he is super speedy and would never refuse a jump. so I think its more down to the horse and what they enjoy. they are exspensive do buy but defo worth it in the long run. you will also defo need a weight plan. ours are currently not really in work. they are probably taken on a hack about once a week but work load will be increase after lockdown is over and we can get them out to an arena. they are not clipped and turned out in to very large field without rugs on. they also do not get any hay or feed and wear grazing muzzels in the summer. but obviously this will all depend on their workload. they are great weight carriers so I wouldn't worry about them being too small. hope this helped!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I love them - but really feel that they are children's ponies only. Not really large enough for modern adults (although when the breed was established people were shorter, so they were a better fit).
Shame they don't raise the breed standard height to 15.2hh - men in particular tend to be far too tall for them these days.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Ooh I need to add that the photos I shared were at her breeders, where she was out of work, I think she has already dropped at least one dress size since they were taken!

gallopingby

Visit site
I love them - but really feel that they are children's ponies only. Not really large enough for modern adults (although when the breed was established people were shorter, so they were a better fit).
Shame they don't raise the breed standard height to 15.2hh - men in particular tend to be far too tall for them these days.
Blimmey you don’t know much about mountain and Moorland ponies! Many large breeds are ridden by adults, they are perfect as allrounders. A few are suitable as children’s ponies IF they have the right temperament and have been well schooled. Also a lot depends on the conformation of the pony and size of adult ie long in body or leg length. A lot of M&Ms with decent confirmation will give a secure ride more so than a badly put together TB or PB. It’s important that we retain the breed characteristics of our native breeds, once they go a lot over height these diminish. Some of the breed societies have a PB register and crossed with a TB or maybe Arab can produce useful animals. If you think highlands are children’s ponies l suggest you look on the breed Society website or visit HOYs where you will find the majority are ridden by adults, some of them also ride ‘proper’ horses and if asked would say they feel just as comfortable on a native. I will agree, as in all breeds, there are poor specimens around but the top highlands are well schooled animals up to any job.

windand rain

Visit site
Will add to gallopingby post that their is a native pony to fit and work well for every rider Highlands are certainly not kids ponies per se they can be but tend to be too wide and too strong for children They really need an adult rider the young woman riding the cross country fence is about 5ft8 and the pony is just 13hh she would outjump the majority of horses and is never stopped She is I must admit a bit of a nutter but is so easy on the ground she is like a big labrador to handle and never puts a foot wrong. Once on her back she is a speedy pocket rocket she would easily do a BE100 event and most riders do not want much more than that.

atropa

Visit site
Strongly disagree with this. Some are very good all round family ponies and certainly many will be good with children, but both size, temperament and ability-wise they are more than suitable for adults.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Blimmey you don’t know much about mountain and Moorland ponies! Many large breeds are ridden by adults, they are perfect as allrounders. A few are suitable as children’s ponies IF they have the right temperament and have been well schooled. Also a lot depends on the conformation of the pony and size of adult ie long in body or leg length. A lot of M&Ms with decent confirmation will give a secure ride more so than a badly put together TB or PB. It’s important that we retain the breed characteristics of our native breeds, once they go a lot over height these diminish. Some of the breed societies have a PB register and crossed with a TB or maybe Arab can produce useful animals. If you think highlands are children’s ponies l suggest you look on the breed Society website or visit HOYs where you will find the majority are ridden by adults, some of them also ride ‘proper’ horses and if asked would say they feel just as comfortable on a native. I will agree, as in all breeds, there are poor specimens around but the top highlands are well schooled animals up to any job.

I have ridden many horses, including Highlands (and also taught many children on them, incidentally).
In terms of horse welfare, people are getting taller and heavier - and it's just not fair to be riding ponies which are still they same height as they were a century ago, when people were much smaller.
No argument that they are nice animals - generally good conformation, staid temperaments, a bit food obsessed, and therefore prone to laminitis if over-pampered. Turn their hoof to most things, quite a nice jump in them.

However, still too small for the majority of adults these days (don't believe me - do the weight calculations).

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

Much as I hate to disagree with you I will, they are indeed often too wide for little legs and can have too much character, I fit very few children on Highlands, probably 95% adults. I do agree that we almost expect too much in terms of what short backed solid natives can carry, and then it's down to us poor saddle
fitters to try and square the circle, which isn't always possible!

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
Bi confused a 13.2 highland weighs in at about 450 kgs fit and slim that means 20% is 90kgs not many adults weigh more than that not even me and I am fat. Even with my saddle
I will agree it can be difficult to fit a saddle. My friends 14.2 highland is as fit as a flea and weighs in at 625kgs or able to carry 130kg over 20 stone not that I would ride at that but its the 20% rule and although sme think 15% is enough highlands a built for weight carrying with short flat hard cannon and short backs hence the need for a good saddle fitter

Last edited:

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Bi confused a 13.2 highland weighs in at about 450 kgs fit and slim that means 20% is 90kgs not many adults weigh more than that not even me and I am fat. Even with my saddle

20% was the absolute maximum recommended by the studies.
Other studies suggest that a horse cannot comfortably carry more than 10% of his/her weight which may be a better guide.

And have you considered the weight of the rider's clothes, including boots and hats, the saddle, etc?

The more I think about riding though, the more I think it compromises horse welfare; there is no rider weight that is beneficial for a horse - as they simply did not evolve to carry people... I wonder how we'll view such welfare issues in future...

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive got one, hes 14.2 and the best part of 600kg, Im 5'4 and 10st. He is a big stamp of an old fashioned highland, hes rising 15 now and Ive had him since he was 8, He is the most amazing, gentle and kind pony, we are happy hackers and hes fab at it, totally unflappable and loves going out and about. Hes as gentle as a lamb with my 8yr old granddaughter but she wouldnt be able to ride him, hes far too wide and too strong and too greedy, she would never keep his head up :) Hes got the most wonderful temperament, you can do anything with him, hes cheap to keep, hooves like iron and wouldnt need rugging (I clip so I do). Im in my 50s and wish Id discovered the breed earlier, they are just the best

windand rain

Visit site
20% was the absolute maximum recommended by the studies.
Other studies suggest that a horse cannot comfortably carry more than 10% of his/her weight which may be a better guide.

And have you considered the weight of the rider's clothes, including boots and hats, the saddle, etc?

The more I think about riding though, the more I think it compromises horse welfare; there is no rider weight that is beneficial for a horse - as they simply did not evolve to carry people... I wonder how we'll view such welfare issues in future...
So no one over 7 stone should ride at all that is rediculous and well you know it my tiny pony has carried my for 20 years and my weight has varied from 70-85kgs she has never struggled and never been lame sick or sorry while ridden by me she did injure herself jumping with a 4.5 stone child in a freak accident as she landed with the pole between her legs the one and only time in her life she has ever hit a pole. I take it you ride if not you have no idea what you are talking about

Leo Walker

Visit site
My trimmer was out today and I was talking to her about highlands as she has 2. She said her 6ft2 husband rides her 14.2hh highland and doesn't feel under horsed in the slightest. She also said that her 9yr old and 7yr old ride one of hers and struggle as they take up the leg so well it makes them perched, but hers is very sweet natured and looks after them so it does work.

As someone who taught a lot of kids to ride, a highland wouldn't be my first choice for them, until they were teenagers and adult height.

gallopingby

Visit site
Blimmey you don’t know much about mountain and Moorland ponies! Many large breeds are ridden by adults, they are perfect as allrounders. A few are suitable as children’s ponies IF they have the right temperament and have been well schooled. Also a lot depends on the conformation of the pony and size of adult ie long in body or leg length. A lot of M&Ms with decent conformation will give a secure ride more so than a badly put together TB or PB. It’s important that we retain the breed characteristics of our native breeds, once they go a lot over height these diminish. Some of the breed societies have a PB register and crossed with a TB or maybe Arab can produce useful animals. If you think highlands are children’s ponies l suggest you look on the breed Society website or visit HOYs where you will find the majority are ridden by adults, some of them also ride ‘proper’ horses and if asked would say they feel just as comfortable on a native. I will agree, as in all breeds, there are poor specimens around but the top highlands are well schooled animals up to any job.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
So no one over 7 stone should ride at all that is rediculous and well you know it my tiny pony has carried my for 20 years and my weight has varied from 70-85kgs she has never struggled and never been lame sick or sorry while ridden by me she did injure herself jumping with a 4.5 stone child in a freak accident as she landed with the pole between her legs the one and only time in her life she has ever hit a pole. I take it you ride if not you have no idea what you are talking about

I find your post quite hard to follow - are you posting from a phone?

And regarding your final sentence - just because we disagree, there is no need at all to be rude. You may have your opinion - I respectfully don't agree with it.

Not sure what the bit about 'I take it you ride if not you have no idea what you are talking about' means? I have ridden. I don't ride at the moment due to lack of time/too much work/retired horses.

TPO

Visit site
I was on livery with friends who had highlands.

One lady was really tall and her Highland was only around 13.2hh I think. She done everything with him including showing, workers, dressage and xc.

My other friend is a tiny petite little thing and her Highland was 14.2hh iirc. Again she did absolutely everything with him. Her horse was sharp and he wouldn't have been suitable for a kid.

I know someone else with Highlands and they are used to bring stags down. I'm going to hedge my bets that the dead weight of a full grown stag is more than most riders. No welfare issues there

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You seldom see them eventing though. ;)
Exactly.

I completely disagree with you Shils on just about all of your earlier post, they are a native breed of pony and whilst a few may go over height they should be 14hh give or take 2 inches either way.
If someone wanted/needed a 15.2 Highland then they need a bigger cob type, not a highland.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Exactly.

I completely disagree with you Shils on just about all of your earlier post, they are a native breed of pony and whilst a few may go over height they should be 14hh give or take 2 inches either way.
If someone wanted/needed a 15.2 Highland then they need a bigger cob type, not a highland.

Fair enough - you are allowed to disagree with me (I prefer sycophants but I'll cope) :p

Can you tell me why you don't like the idea of Highlands up to 15.2hh? I believe good conformation is pretty much based on the same principles (which support soundness) whether Shire or Shetland so why would an extra 4 inches matter?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Fair enough - you are allowed to disagree with me (I prefer sycophants but I'll cope) :p

Can you tell me why you don't like the idea of Highlands up to 15.2hh? I believe good conformation is pretty much based on the same principles (which support soundness) whether Shire or Shetland so why would an extra 4 inches matter?

Because the whole breed standard would change. All the native breeds have a standard for type, height etc. The clue is in the word Highland pony, not horse :)
All I can say is, if you dont like the standard, then breed your own mongrel, part bred or purchase something that will fill the criterion.

Shils, it ain't going to happen, flogging a dead horse! ?

gallopingby

Visit site
Shilasdair, l note you aren’t a Troll. Wonder exactly what you are?
Not worth pursuing the 15.2 M&M though, better to go for a cob of which 15.1 was the norm but now that maxi cobs are around maybe that would suit today’s heavyweight rider better.

It seems you have little regard for our native breeds all of which have a breed standard with a specified height range and many are on the rare breeds list. No one is suggesting that everyone wishes to take their highland eventing, those who do will ensue both they and their pony are suitably fit and educated in order to compete at the levels required.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Because the whole breed standard would change. All the native breeds have a standard for type, height etc. The clue is in the word Highland pony, not horse :)
All I can say is, if you dont like the standard, then breed your own mongrel, part bred or purchase something that will fill the criterion.

Shils, it ain't going to happen, flogging a dead horse! ?

But why - the breed standard only needs to change one number...conformation and the rest of the descriptor could be the same? Then Highlands would be a better fit to modern humans, particularly men. All humans are getting taller, heavier - it would be kinder to breed ponies that remained proportionate to humans.

And if I understand correctly, the Highland pony is 'at risk' according to the Rare Breeds Watch List? So it's not a successful strategy...

gallopingby

Visit site
But why - the breed standard only needs to change one number...conformation and the rest of the descriptor could be the same? Then Highlands would be a better fit to modern humans, particularly men. All humans are getting taller, heavier - it would be kinder to breed ponies that remained proportionate to humans.

And if I understand correctly, the Highland pony is 'at risk' according to the Rare Breeds Watch List? So it's not a successful strategy...
Think you’re bored and just playing games. Have a nice night ?