Talk to me about highlands

J&S

Visit site
I owned and rode a 14.1 1/2 hh NF mare for 20 years. A lot of people would say to me "don't you want a proper horse?". (i.e. something taller more elegant!) but my reply was that If I had the equivalent power in a "horse" I would not know what to do with it. That NF mare took me all the places I would ever want to go, at what ever pace, she jumped for joy and on several occasions got our names in The H&H. Later in her life she condescended to be ridden by my little step daughter whose feet hardly passed the saddle flaps. I'm all for keeping the native pony breeds pure and traditionally correct. If some one wants/needs a heavy weight carrier there are many big cobs out there to do the job.

100% agree here. As they are breeding taller they aren't building them stronger, the square built old fashioned pony is a little powerhouse. It may not be built for eventing but for carrying someone on the hills all day there is nothing better.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Height is out of people's control, but weight certainly isn't (except in a tiny minority of cases involving medication side effects and hormonal disorders). According to 2012 stats on Wikipedia, the average height of an English female is 162cm/5 ft 3ish so that's plenty of horsey women who'd be fine on a native (used the female figure as the majority of us on HHO appear to be female).

At a museum I once saw a model of the weekly food ration for an adult during WW2; a real eye opener. And people did much more physical work back then.

The fact still remains that British men and women have grown much taller (and therefore heavier) over the years. In the last century alone, women are more than a hand taller. See this excerpt from the Guardian below. So - Highland ponies are proportionately MUCH smaller than they were, due to a static breed standard in the face of an ever taller human population.

'With an increase in height seen across the century in every country around the world, the British have also gained a few inches. Both men and women have added around 11cm (4.3 in) to their height since 1914, with the average man now 177.5cm (5ft 9.8in) tall and the average woman boasting a height of 164.4cm (5ft 4.7in).'

(https://www.theguardian.com/science...ve-grown-taller-over-last-century-study-shows accessed 21/4/20)

windand rain

Visit site
A bigger does not necessarily mean stronger in fact the fatter the horse the more you should reduce the weight of the rider. If a cob is carrying 100kgs of fat (which many are) then the rider weight should be reduced and incidentally if it is carrying 100kgs of flab it could carry an extra 80 kg rider easily if it was fit and slimmed down to its correct weight. I say 80 kgs as the distribution of fat is more even than a rider

rara007

Visit site
It’s those that realise just how much they’re capable of that get the last laugh, I wouldn’t stress about it! If people want 500kg of fragile sports horse rather than a 500kg 14.2 broad backed well boned pony because they don’t think the pony can take them then thats their loss :p

MagicMelon

Visit site
It totally depends IMO - you get some absolutely brilliant highlands and some grumpy sods. I had a fantastic highland (lighter weight than most) who I owned and competed or about 15 years as a teenager - loved him and he was a total legend that many people in my area remember. He was super duper safe, yet he won so much. He jumped clear all day long SJ and XC - very rarely had a pole down and was ridiculously fast jumps offs as he could literally land and turn immediately and jump off any angle. I remember falling off over his shoulder one time in a jump off because he turned just too quick on landing. He won ODE's to intermediate level at RC/PC level, he just didn't quite have the scope to go open level / 3'6 yet 3ft3's he'd win all day long. I eventually sold him as a hack once he got older and I felt it was time he retired, he had much fun until he died last year. He was one in a million, would always try his hardest, never ever said no or misbehaved and was a total dream to do in all ways. Couldn't fault him. If you get a good one, they're incredible.

I wouldn't have one now purely because I want to compete bigger etc. and they're really too small in height for me but if you can find a good one then definately go for it.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Gratuitous Highland pic. I know I’m a bit late to this thread. 5’6’’ rider 13.2 highland. Leg properly taken up!

Never too late for a gratuitous highland pic ?
As a little update, I did buy the nearly 3yr old highland pony back in April. Due to covid, and the fact I wanted him living out in a herd, I left him where he was so he could spend the summer being a pony (only about 20mins away so did go and see him regularly).
Unfortunately, in mid may I got phone call to say he had been found down in the field. When I got there it was to find him seizing/convulsing. The vet was already on their way, but it was clear there was only one possible outcome.
Vet diagnosed tetanus, despite him being vaccinated, although we will never know for sure.
So my highland owning days were very short lived. It is still a dream to own a Highland, but have had to put it on hold for now as circumstances have changed.

Corry - taken far too young

Screenshot_20200805-113051~2.png

millikins

Visit site
As a little update, I did buy the nearly 3yr old highland pony back in April. Due to covid, and the fact I wanted him living out in a herd, I left him where he was so he could spend the summer being a pony (only about 20mins away so did go and see him regularly).
Unfortunately, in mid may I got phone call to say he had been found down in the field. When I got there it was to find him seizing/convulsing. The vet was already on their way, but it was clear there was only one possible outcome.
Vet diagnosed tetanus, despite him being vaccinated, although we will never know for sure.
So my highland owning days were very short lived. It is still a dream to own a Highland, but have had to put it on hold for now as circumstances have changed.

View attachment 52863
So sorry to read this, what a terrible thing to happen. Poor pony and poor you.

Surbie

Visit site

View attachment 52863

I follow the person you bought him from and saw lots of pictures of him out with the other horses. He was such a pretty horse. I remember when she posted about Corry, I didn't realise someone on here had bought him. It was an awful thing to happen, am so sorry.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I follow the person you bought him from and saw lots of pictures of him out with the other horses. He was such a pretty horse. I remember when she posted about Corry, I didn't realise someone on here had bought him. It was an awful thing to happen, am so sorry.

Yes, I rode her cob last summer so already know her, and then when I saw him pop up on her page...well I just couldn't resist.
Was a big shock to see him like that, but thank God he was in such a public place - the phone call came through at 7pm. If he had been on a normal yard he might not have been found til morning. The locals all pitched in to help as much as they could.
Poor little guy.

Courbette

Visit site
I love highlands. I rode a purebred as a child that was everyone's favourite on the riding school including mine and then another part-bred as an adult that was also lovely. Both were called Hamish :rolleyes: I also rode a Highland x PRE who I adored but very very feisty. I've got admittedly limited experience but I think they are absolutely beautiful and would be my starting point if I was after a native.

Courbette

Visit site
Yes, I rode her cob last summer so already know her, and then when I saw him pop up on her page...well I just couldn't resist.
Was a big shock to see him like that, but thank God he was in such a public place - the phone call came through at 7pm. If he had been on a normal yard he might not have been found til morning. The locals all pitched in to help as much as they could.
Poor little guy.

Thats so sad. I didn't read all the posts before replying. What a gorgeous boy. This year has had so many horrible things happen to so many.