Tall narrow natives, Arab?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I suppose it is sort of comparable to people and T2 diabetes my dad only had to put on a tiny bit of weight to tip his personal threshold ... Other people have different thresholds (obviously simplified)

This is exactly how I see it. There are some very fat people whose blood sugar control is absolutely fine. I don't think anyone knows why. I'm worried about how fat Deza (Dayza) is, but she was trotted up for me on a rubble path and is solid on her feet. It's a bad time of year to try and slim her down, though, I don't know how we're going to manage that. The straw chop is on its way. I hate muzzles, but if needs be ....

PSD

Visit site
I suppose it is sort of comparable to people and T2 diabetes my dad only had to put on a tiny bit of weight to tip his personal threshold ... Other people have different thresholds (obviously simplified)

Thinking of you today @ycbm

That’s true but I don’t understand how the fan just “become metabolic”. In the 10 years I owned mine, she had never had any issues with anything. Then we have liveries on my yard that throws theirs out all summer, they are morbidly obese and not once do they go off their feet even slightly which angers me. But like ycbm says, it’s the same for humans! My father in law is far from obese and he is T2, it’s crazy how it works and I wish there was more knowledge around it for both humans and horses.

PSD

Visit site
This is exactly how I see it. There are some very fat people whose blood sugar control is absolutely fine. I don't think anyone knows why. I'm worried about how fat Deza (Dayza) is, but she was trotted up for me on a rubble path and is solid on her feet. It's a bad time of year to try and slim her down, though, I don't know how we're going to manage that. The straw chop is on its way. I hate muzzles, but if needs be ....

How’s your grazing? Ours is absolutely parched, but most of the mares in the field are still managing to remain fat. I suppose lack of grazing will mean they move about more to look for forage and it would benefit them weight wise.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have a ton of grass but from the way the boys are eating their food with their minerals in, there's precious little carbs in it.

PSD

Visit site
We have hardly anything on our fields and my 2yo is coming in hungry, (i leave hay in her stable all the time in case they have to be brought in abruptly) looks like I’m going to have to get her on some kind of mineral supplement ASAP

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The PRE mare isn't as fat as I thought she'd be based off of the description. Yes, she could trim up a bit and will with exercise. She's certainly not looking like a total sausage though ?

I am thoughtful about what my PRE eats, and they are a "fatty" breed, but I also don't like them so slender either. So it's a fine balance for me. Fortunately our spring and summer has been dry the last few years, so the grass isn't as lush as it could be. If he's in work, he can handle grass. He lived out in a grass field with a hay feeder so there was always some forage, and he did well with this. Mostly because of exercise and the fact that his field was a hill perhaps. I also slowly introduce him to grass every spring.

He's easy to keep, but not totally extreme in that I've had to resort to a dry lot and/or muzzle. But I don't know how crazy your grass gets over there. And of course it depends on the horse.

I still prefer managing my PRE over my WB and TB who took so much to keep weight on.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Our fields are dreadfully parched. The two ponies are being strip grazed and whereas usually we would extend their grazing by no more than a foot per day, now it is more like 6' and they aren't gaining weight. She weight tapes them weekly to keep a check on them
Strangely I am doing the same with the old mare and all though she is visibly gaining weight over her back which she needed to, her girth measurement isn't going up. She is looking superb at the moment but I need to watch her as she is half Qtr horse and in the past has been very round, too heavy for her legs.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My big field is brown my small field has been rested for months so grass is hip high, I dare not put them on that yet I normally wait until end of summer, next door rest and fertilise then liveries just chuck them on it 24-7 the field is next door to mine and seeing them out there and watching them turn into bullocks makes me feel physically sick.