Tall narrow natives, Arab?

Visit site
Dear heaven. Poor horse.
Dear heaven. Poor horse.

I saw a fatter horse on FB today. Admittedly he was a stallion so you'd expect a bit of crest, but....

101421342_2682008652016770_6355051275809193984_n.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am worried that Deza (Dayza) is fat and today I have ordered chaff to feed her with when she is in during the day. I'm hoping the hill and the upset of moving will take some off her and we can go on from there. But you can see from her picture, she's nowhere near that bad!

I wonder why some go laminitic and some don't. Do they know yet?

Visit site
It was a well known stud! All the comments were saying how beautiful the horse was. All I can see is a walking vets bill! And I thought Diva was fat :eek::eek:

I don't know if the fact the grey I posted is a breeding stallion would make any difference to laminitis risk or not- does anyone know?
I really do wish people treated morbidly obese horses which the owner is doing nothing about as just as much of a welfare issue as thin ones.
(Sorry for hijacking your thread. Just gobsmacked.)

Last edited:

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I am worried that Deza (Dayza) is fat and today I have ordered chaff to feed her with when she is in during the day. I'm hoping the hill and the upset of moving will take some off her and we can go on from there. But you can see from her picture, she's nowhere near that bad!

I'm sure I read somewhere once that they thought all laminitis was caused by some sort of underlying metabolic disorder which was why some horrifically obese horses were fine. Whether this is correct or not I don't know!

My PREs would also be absolute whales if I let them, but at least it makes it cheaper to feed them.

PSD

Visit site

I don’t know but it absolutely frustrates me seeing morbidly obese ponies that NEVER get laminitis and yet I lost my girl to the dreadful disease and she was barely overweight ?

Abi90

Visit site
It's a trekking centre!

I knew they bred a few Andalusians twenty years ago, I had no idea they still did, or that they were right up there in breeding circles, and no idea that they had a graded mare for sale who met my spec, but then she wasn't for sale until i rang them for a loan trekking horse.

I know where this is. I used to work there briefly!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I don’t know but it absolutely frustrates me seeing morbidly obese ponies that NEVER get laminitis and yet I lost my girl to the dreadful disease and she was barely overweight ?

They say that in most cases the cause is an underlying metabolic disorder. I battle with weight control with my retired welsh a, have done for years and yet he got laminitis in February after a hard winter, on almost no grass. Turns out he has cushings, which would explain why it happened. It really is sods law though, as you say, there are plenty of obese ponies who never get it.

PSD

Visit site
They say that in most cases the cause is an underlying metabolic disorder. I battle with weight control with my retired welsh a, have done for years and yet he got laminitis in February after a hard winter, on almost no grass. Turns out he has cushings, which would explain why it happened. It really is sods law though, as you say, there are plenty of obese ponies who never get it.

Yes hers was a metabolic issue, but she was 10 and never had issues ever. Such a weird disease and it is just so annoying when people let their horses become absolute hippos and they never get sick!

Cloball

Visit site
I suppose it is sort of comparable to people and T2 diabetes my dad only had to put on a tiny bit of weight to tip his personal threshold ... Other people have different thresholds (obviously simplified)

Thinking of you today @ycbm