TB's Pros and Cons

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It would be - but a lot of people would not necessarily go after one if it was aimed at high level dressage because its paces wouldn't be flashy enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well alot of peeps would loose out then!! Some of the best moving horses I have ever seen have been TB's! Some strains of the modern WB are practically TB anyhow now! I know of at least a dozen horse's who are competing at Advanced Medium and above who are full TB's - granted not a huge number in the greater scheme of things, but I feel a good indication of what a superb alrounder the TB can be IF allowed.

Equibeau

Visit site
I agree with you, SN. The amount of people who are amazed that my boy is a full tb is surprising. They automatically think he is something from Germany!!

patchandloopy

Visit site
As Miami bear has said PLEASE dont tar every single horse wiht the same brush!!! Mine is very much sane and i dont think i could ahve coped with a 'typical' TB!!! I love my boy to bits and even though he manages to cut himself quite often,
smirk.gif
, but i once had a lesson and had to cross a field to the school with horses in it (not ideal i know) and they began galloping and kicking thier heels quite near to him-he just stood stock still! ALso my Yo said she wished she ahd a horse as easy as mine at a show!! you can just leave him with a net and quickly grab a burger / score sheet and he wont go mad-as long as he can see you or people around him hes fine!! infact hes quite food orientated!
blush.gif
grin.gif

Im sorry if ive sed similar things to others-there are alot of posts to get through!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
When I bought Spring I was ideally looking for a full TB. I had one on loan for 2 years and he was the first pure TB that I had had to deal with. He was great, sweet and loving but as neurotic as they come! However I think this was more down to his rather scatty owner and he soon overcame a lot of the fears that he had (clippers mainly). However he was the spookiest horse I have ridden and as such I soon developed a secure seat
grin.gif
He also dropped weight easily and had crappy feet.
I tried two ex-racers but they were both a bit sour and had had previous leg injuries that put me off them. Spring is half TB and with her extra bone she carries me well (I have long legs and looked big on my 16.2hh TB), she has the athleticism of a TB and can jump and buck (I blame the irish draught for that), but she is that little bit more chilled and easy going, however coupled with that is a very subborn streak!

Like others have said, go with what suits you regardless of breed. I wan't really looking for an IDxTB but she is a great horse and probably a better buy for me than a pure TB.

MagicMelon

Visit site
You can always go for a part TB, they make fab part breds. It really depends what you want to do with the horse, obviously if its something like eventing then your better with quite a bit of TB blood.

I have had 2 part breds (part with other hot blooded breeds) and both were lovely. Very intelligent and good natured. They tried 110%. But at the same time they are both quirky, one occassionally had an attitude (but then she was a mare!) and the one I have now who is amazing 98% of the time especially at competitions, but he has the odd quirk like he's a bit stressy sometimes and can very occasionally panic when being ridden basically bronc'ing or bolting until I fall off....... but luckily it has only happened maybe 5 times in the 3 years Ive owned him so I bare it!

They are exellent horses, but you just need to be prepared for the odd little thing sometimes. Some TB's are dopey as hell anyway! It totally depends! I wouldnt get a pure bred as a first horse though personally.

Parkranger

Visit site
Vic I agree - you have to look a bit deeper to see the real reason why some of these TB's have problems.

I think that they're alot easier to 'break' or 'confuse' than some other breeds, hence the reason they need special care.......or just plain spoiling!

I think that the majority of TB's need sane owners - you need to tell them how it is and be a strong 'herd leader' or they just get confused and then start to take the michael slightly.....

Rupert2006

Visit site
my TB is great - he has taught me so much - he can be nervous and a bit sharp to ride sometimes, but he takes his confidence from me and listens to everything I say and now he calms down quickly. his feet were bad when i got him, but now they are great thanks to our excellent farrier, we have just gone barefoot with our farrier's full support as well! he is very sensitive, can be like a donkey some days. loves his food. I have had him for 6 months now and I am beginning to really bond with him - it has taken some time, especially as i was really nervous of him to begin with which didn't help. And he is my first horse after a 15 year break - he is a 14 year old ex racer. He is not crazy, just a little crazy and needs to be handled calmly then he knows he has nothing to worry about.

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my TB is great - he has taught me so much - he can be nervous and a bit sharp to ride sometimes, but he takes his confidence from me and listens to everything I say and now he calms down quickly. his feet were bad when i got him, but now they are great thanks to our excellent farrier, we have just gone barefoot with our farrier's full support as well! he is very sensitive, can be like a donkey some days. loves his food. I have had him for 6 months now and I am beginning to really bond with him - it has taken some time, especially as i was really nervous of him to begin with which didn't help. And he is my first horse after a 15 year break - he is a 14 year old ex racer. He is not crazy, just a little crazy and needs to be handled calmly then he knows he has nothing to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can so relate to your story - takes a while to bond with a TB doesn't it? Seems that you get alot out though once you do. I've had my boy 6 months now too
grin.gif

rcm_73

Visit site
Most things have already been said concerning TBs characters n quirks. My Irish bred TB is a National Hunt robust type mare, in fact a lot of people think she's a part bred as she has good bone for her breed. She has more width (heart room) between her front legs than most cobs I see and she has never been lame, sick or sorry. I can turn her out without injury, she has better feet than my friend's ID x TB. It is true to say you have to be a calm confident handler, they are very sensitive & quick to learn. Bred to run they are sharp in their reactions & you have to be 'up there with it' with them. My mare certainly keeps me on my toes, she is bold and brave across country & over poles, great to clip, box, shoe and brilliant in heavy traffic due to her at one time being in training. However, unless you have experience riding/handling TBs I wouldn't suggest a pure-bred for a first horse. I went through numerous Welsh ponies, cobs, a ClydesdalexTB, an Arab and a Standardbred before I ended up working with Thoroughbreds & smitten I bought one! I will add though that my parents both worked in racing so they always bigged the Thoroughbred up to me, prob was inevitable I'd end up getting one!

Sparklet

Visit site
My dressage horse is 7/8 TB and has just qualified for the winter regionals - I only registered her in Aug!

TB are lovely lose movers, incredibly athletic and are highly trainable because they are so intelligent.

The vast majority of horses including KWPN horses are not suitable for GP dressage but I wouldnt write a TB off getting well up the ranks, providing it is the right sort.