Tell me not to!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Very odd herd dynamics today. I came home from a walk to find Ludo pushing Jojo up and down the barn. I came inside and watched on video and saw a completely different picture. Yes, Ludo pushed him around and then having sent him away, stood still. Then Jojo approached and started playing beaks with him, totally normal young horse games.

Screenshot_20210429-120038_Sricam.jpg

Ludo would play for a good while, then push him away again, with Jojo looking quite threatened, only to then come up behind Ludo and do the other game, a nip above the hocks to get Ludo to move. So much for feeling threatened!

Screenshot_20210429-120323_Sricam.jpg

So this went on for quite some time, with neither of them letting the other one just stand quietly. None of it seemed related to Deza in any way, she just stood at the side eating. I wasn't prepared to leave the games happening while I was out for lunch, in case they turned into something more serious, so I took Ludo out. When I came back I put him back in and they are now perfectly quiet and all three stood dozing.

I hope Ludo and Jojo will be playmates Ludo is such a playful horse (hence the bits and pieces left in the barn) but nobody has ever really wanted to play with him before. I saw Jojo pushing the barrel around this morning, too.

Last edited:

Zuzan

Visit site

I hope Ludo and Jojo will be playmates Ludo is such a playful horse (hence the bits and pieces left in the barn) but nobody has ever really wanted to play with him before. I saw Jojo pushing the barrel around this morning, too.

Looks like they are negotiating the rules of their games ;)

ycbm

Visit site
Well haven't I made a rod for my own back ?

I used to catch Deza and Ludo would follow her in. For 11 days, I caught Deza and Ludo and Jojo followed her in.

This morning, I caught Deza but Ludo and Jojo were having far too much fun together to care where Deza had gone, and I had to go out again and get one of them so the other also came in.

We have the makings of a fine bromance. I'm pleased for Ludo because he has limited social skills with geldings and has never had a real friend before, they seem to find him a bit irritating . But I'm going to be getting fit if have to do two catches every day on my hillside!

Nobody to blame but myself, of course ?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
This is all going so nicely! Definitely seems like they are going to be buddies. We have two geldings in with a mare and the boys go through phases of very rough play involving rearing, biting, stamping and general madness whilst the mare looks on with absolute disdain. I love to watch how they interact, great that you can observe yours so well too!

ycbm

Visit site
Well, I think this thread is done and dusted. Ludo and Joe are best buddies, playing together. I find the three of them stood close together in the mornings. Every night I hand feed what they leave of their breakfasts, which are full of nasty tasting minerals. I've been taking Joe out to do that, but tonight I had a bucket of feed and the three of them stood around me having one handful each in succession. No jealousy over food or over being a threesome.

So well done HHO on completely falling to stop me buying my lovely little Joe ?

ycbm

Visit site
I've had no answer from the people who did his passport, though I know they still live there. I assume they bought him as a weanling and did the passport (it doesn't have a date of birth in it, only a year) and at some point sold him on.

I'd love to know, but it doesn't matter, he's a lovely little horse.

Last edited:

Flyermc

Visit site
I've had no answer from the people who did his passport, though I know they still live there. I assume they bought him as a weanling and did the passport (it doesn't have a date of birth in it, only a year) and at some point sold him on.

I'd love to know, but it doesn't matter, he's a lovely little horse.

Orrr thats really sad :( my old boy was from a stud (i didnt buy him directly from the stud) but i wrote to them several times over the years i had him in the hope that they might remember him or have a foal picture (his show/full name has the studs name in it) but they never even acknowledged me :(

PurBee

Visit site
Orrr thats really sad :( my old boy was from a stud (i didnt buy him directly from the stud) but i wrote to them several times over the years i had him in the hope that they might remember him or have a foal picture (his show/full name has the studs name in it) but they never even acknowledged me :(

I found an old filly pic of my mare from the stud she was from - did a deep googling session to find it - found out her filly name as ‘sasha’ , different to her name bought as a yearling- so that evening i called that name, and her head turned fast at me, ears pricked! She remembered....amazing.

It’s brilliant your 3 have settled so well ycbm...jojo is such a sweetheart...i love his kind face! Wishing you sooo much fun aiding his growth, and look forward to updates of your gang ?

meleeka

Visit site
I found an old filly pic of my mare from the stud she was from - did a deep googling session to find it - found out her filly name as ‘sasha’ , different to her name bought as a yearling- so that evening i called that name, and her head turned fast at me, ears pricked! She remembered....amazing.

I had this too after I found out years later my pony was originally called Fairy. Being a Welsh, Chestnut mare she’s about as far removed from
a fairy as it’s possible to get! ?

OP- I’m so pleased for you that he’s settled in so well. Im looking forward to following his progress.

Flyermc

Visit site

It’s brilliant your 3 have settled so well ycbm...jojo is such a sweetheart...i love his kind face! Wishing you sooo much fun aiding his growth, and look forward to updates of your gang ?

How did you manage it? id love to do some 'digging' but ive no idea where you would start other than googling his full name

PurBee

Visit site
How did you manage it? id love to do some 'digging' but ive no idea where you would start other than googling his full name

At the time, years sgo, i found a webpage associated with the stud when i googled the breeder name and farm address, and then was just browsing their gallery of past foals and found my mare, as a wee yearling! Different name on her pic but her sock markings are unmistakable! Pure luck.
I googled several pages her sire and dam too , got a wee bit more info.
Googled breeder’s name from her papers - the farm also. Googled everything, many pages deep.

However, now that stud page I found isnt online anymore - i saved the pic thankfully, its on another hard-drive.