Thank goodness for insurance

satinbaze

Visit site
So my lovely Tiva had to have an emergency splenectomy on Thursday evening. My vet and the referral vets were both fantastic and I was able to bring her home today. The referral vets were able to set up direct claim with my insurance company (bought by many) however the total bill has now maxed out the policy. So my message to those who don’t insure is please make sure you have access to thousands of pounds. The total so far has been £8000 give or take a little bit. I’m in the lucky position in that I have access to funds if she needs further treatment.
I’m also asking for some of the famous vibes that the mass is benign and she won’t need chemo. There is a 30% chance it is benign and the surgeon couldn’t see any evidence of spread. ?and prayers fir my lovely girl

{97702}

Visit site
The cost of any potential treatment has never been and will never be an issue for any of my dogs, and I'd absolutely disgusted if anyone would dare to think they would EVER go without treatment because they are not insured. I appreciate you are feeling stressed at the moment Satinblaze but actually I find the insinuations of your post really offensive.

Sending all possible 'get well soon' vibes to Tiva xx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The cost of any potential treatment has never been and will never be an issue for any of my dogs, and I'd absolutely disgusted if anyone would dare to think they would EVER go without treatment because they are not insured. I appreciate you are feeling stressed at the moment Satinblaze but actually I find the insinuations of your post really offensive.

Sending all possible 'get well soon' vibes to Tiva xx

i dont think this was posted to get at people just to warn others how much treatment may cost. i normally insure mine up till about 3 just in case i have a very sickly dog. i have never insured any of my lurchers or my deerhound as the premiums were so high for that type of dog. i also didnt insure most of my horses, but like you, they get whatever treatment they need regardless of the cost which is why i have been poor all of my life and now horseless am a little bit better off..but now have 3 dogs:):)but have insured the 2 terriers just in case

{97702}

Visit site
maybe so - however I’m fully aware of how much treatment can cost, I would hope that any responsible dog owner is the same? If you aren’t, then you should consider whether it is appropriate for you to have a dog because you really aren’t thinking things through.....

View

Visit site
maybe so - however I’m fully aware of how much treatment can cost, I would hope that any responsible dog owner is the same? If you aren’t, then you should consider whether it is appropriate for you to have a dog because you really aren’t thinking things through.....

I thought that this exactly the point that the OP was making.

Satinbaze, hope that Tiva recovers swiftly and that the mass was benign.

{97702}

Visit site
is that directed at me? i am fully aware of costs of my animals and none ever go without due to costs. quality of life is my only concern not cost!!!!!!

No it is NOT directed at you or I would have said so!

Somewhat ironic and depressing that you are taking offence at my comment for exactly the same reason I took offence at Satinblaze’s original post.

My dogs are everything to me, I would put everything in the world after them. Fortunately I have an intelligent vet with great emotional intelligence who knows that too. To me the idea that I might withhold treatment because I couldn’t afford it (or worse, didn’t want to pay) is appalling. Whether I have insurance or not makes no odds to me whatsoever, my dogs always get what they need.

As for this forum, yet again the written word is a very dangerous thing and causes multiple misinterpretations it seems ???

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i thought it was directed at me as you said if YOU arent etc... if you had said if THEY arent i wouldnt have thought it was directed at me, but as it seemed to be in reply to me i read it as you meant me

{97702}

Visit site
Well I apologise for not fully concentrating on my use of language this evening, this may explain why.

I went to see my mum today and ended up looking through a huge pile of her paperwork trying to find the V5C for her car.

At the bottom of the pile was the police report into my dads death prepared for his inquest. There were photos and witness statements I hadn’t seen before.

I feel so bad for all the people who tried to help him at the scene (he took his own life by walking out in front of an articulated lorry on a main road). All the statements said the lorry driver was (understandably) totally in pieces & crying, but it wasn’t his fault at all.

I wish I could have said sorry to the driver and thanked all those kind people who helped.[/QUOTE

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Sending get well vibes to Tiva ??❤️. Jakey had a spontaneous rupture of his spleen, had an emergency splenectomy and made a miraculous recovery. He was almost 14 years old. His spleen was tested and was benign. Our bill was £5700 and Petplan settled the lot direct with the vet minus the £125 excess. I've never been more grateful for pet insurance. We never did get to the bottom of why the rupture had occurred, vet thought age related spontaneous rupture but agreed that would have been a very rare occurrence. He gave no indication of being ill other than refusing his bedtime gravy bone but that was enough to trigger an emergency vet visit late at night with emergency surgery the next morning at 4am. Hoping Tiva's recovery goes well.

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
I apologise if my post implied that anyone would think of withholding treatment due to cost. I certainly did not mean to cause any offence.
It wasn't your post that caused offence,,, Lev for some reason took it upon herself ( in her grief ) to take it out on you

paddy555

Visit site
So my lovely Tiva had to have an emergency splenectomy on Thursday evening. My vet and the referral vets were both fantastic and I was able to bring her home today. The referral vets were able to set up direct claim with my insurance company (bought by many) however the total bill has now maxed out the policy. So my message to those who don’t insure is please make sure you have access to thousands of pounds. The total so far has been £8000 give or take a little bit. I’m in the lucky position in that I have access to funds if she needs further treatment.
I’m also asking for some of the famous vibes that the mass is benign and she won’t need chemo. There is a 30% chance it is benign and the surgeon couldn’t see any evidence of spread. ?and prayers fir my lovely girl

I know what you mean. Took ours to the vet this week, could have been a very expensive something but turned out to be nothing. Made the journey much better knowing the insurance policy was in the car glove box. :D
best wishes to Tiva.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I apologise if my post implied that anyone would think of withholding treatment due to cost. I certainly did not mean to cause any offence.

Tbh I am amazed at the figure you have quoted. We lost one of our Rotters to cancer of the spleen. She went to vets as an emergency, had an ultrasound scan, lump was found with possible tendrils towards her bowel. She was taken to a quieter branch and operated on. Sadly the tumour had spread beyond being able to be removed and the vet asked for permission to not bring her round. That cost about £1200 and we had been quoted just a few hundred more if she had been able to recover. She was not insured but she had had the attention that day, to my certain knowledge, of 5 well qualified and experienced vets and numerous support staff.

I am glad that Tiva has a better chance of making a full recovery and am sending lots of <<<<vibes>>>>>> for her.

{97702}

Visit site
It wasn't your post that caused offence,,, Lev for some reason took it upon herself ( in her grief ) to take it out on you

MM you have no idea what you are talking about and you are incorrect in this presumption, please do not ever feel you are qualified to tell anyone how I feel or why I react in the way I do

{97702}

Visit site

I sincerely apologise for misinterpreting your post SB, this subject is something which is very important to me. As I said before, I really hope Tiva gets well soon

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Oh all the vibes being sent from me for poor Tiva, what a worrying and stressful time for you.
No need to apologise, sounds like Lev has other things going on in her life, and has hit out where she can, I'm sure it's not personal.
My mum's dog died very suddenly without any warning and it was suggested by a couple of people that it may have been a rupture of ths spleen as it was so sudden. I'm so glad you csugh Tiva in time and I hope she makes a full recovery.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}, and prayers, hope all ends well with Tiva.

It was a tumour in the spleen that was the end for my late Smooth Collie, several years ago. Sadly it had grown too big, ruptured the spleen, she was bleeding to death internally when they found it, and there was nothing they could do, but euthanise.
I hope that you, and Tiva, have better luck.

Chiffy

Visit site
Very best wishes to you and Tiva, Satinbaze. Hoping for a happy outcome.
I have had dogs for over 50 years, 40 of those with flatcoats. I have never insured. It never entered my head that you were criticising anyone, just warning how horrendously expensive vets fees have become. Always a good warning along with the ridiculous price to buy a dog or horse these days. This is especially pertinent to an oldie like me who goes back to the old days of pounds, shillings and pence when a set of shoes for my pony cost 15shillings, that’s less than a pound in old money, folks!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Sending loads of vibes to Tiva. My oldest shepherd is no longer insured, because it comes to a point with older ones when I would consider what treatment they would have, it would mainly be about quality of life but yes cost would come into it too. I think you know me well enough Lev to know my dogs are my priority, and I think your understandable grief last night meant you reacted a little sharply. I didn't see SBs post as a criticism of those who don't insure, just a warning.

{97702}

Visit site
Not that it is relevant to this post, which should be about Tiva getting better, but my reaction last night had absolutely nothing to do with my experiences yesterday. I was simply explaining why I wasn’t entirely focussed on using appropriate pronouns.

My reaction was a result of constant insinuations from various vets over the last few months that perhaps I wouldn’t want to offer Ace the best possible treatment because he wasn’t insured. I get that reaction every single time I say my dogs aren’t insured, and it wears very thin. I have apologised to SB for misinterpreting her post, it touched a nerve because I thought ‘here we go again’ - wrongly as it happened. Losing Ace is still very very raw, but I know he always had the best of everything.

Perhaps now you can all focus on hoping that Tiva gets better instead of picking me up on my reaction? It doesn’t bother me, I just feel for SB that her thread is being de-railed at such a difficult time for her because of my incorrect reaction.

Bellasophia

Visit site
I also hope Tiva pulls through and defies the odds.I have to say if I had a case of cancer in a dog I would euthanize rather rather than go the chemo route,which usually only gives monthsof respite,not a cure.
I thought the post was informative and didn’t seek to hurt anyone with insinuation..
Lev,I amongst many love you and your dogs,you’ve done ever,thing and above for them..your latest posts show you are hurting for Ace and now for family issues..you’ve crossed wires here.OP didn’t mean any hurt to you.
Step back on this..and take a big hug.

lev seems we’ve posted at the same time so take me or leave me..but I wish you well.

Last edited: