The agility thread

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I attended Iconix for the first time. Only 12.5 miles away so thought it was about time I tried it. Fantastic venue but could do with out the music being played, what with the strong wind and the music my dog couldn't always hear me. Courses are very spread out and need either a fast handler or a dog that works away well. Managed better than I expected but still had 3 e's. Class numbers were much higher than at a lot of shows these days. Think I will try their next one at end of Sept and see how that goes.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Small dog's gold agility warrant arrived today. 🥇

I am having something of a crisis of confidence with large dog, who has regressed in terms of both behaviour and performance, despite absolutely pouring on the time and training. I have a session booked next week with Sam who normally does a grand job of sorting my head out when this happens, but as we're also due a season any time now that may be cancelled. 🙃

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Congratulations on the Gold warrant 😊 you compete at a level I can only dream of but I think we all have times where it's 1 step forward 2 steps back. My happy speedy confident youngster has started stopping in the ring and gazing about. We had a break small amount of training and they both have physio next week. We have a comp next Sat so will see how we go. Competing horses seemed somehow much easier 🙄😂😀

Spotherisk

Visit site
We went to our members only fun day today, we had agility, a tunnels and jumps class, and then a kind of pairs class where one pair ran the first half then another ran the second part. We were placed in the first two classes which was great, but I am glowing because the judge approached me and said ‘you’ve done some lovely handling today’, and that is worth more than any rosette!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
IMG_7716.jpeg

Good fun running this tonight. On the first attempt I lost him to the tunnel after 10, but kept him out of the next trap at 18 which I was really pleased with. Nailed it second time (isn't it always the way). No problem with dog walk layer or weave entry which was gratifying. The larger and/or faster dogs struggled most with the line from 11 to 15.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Lots of little traps in there for fast dogs!

10-13 looks like a typical fiendish twisty little training trap to me, the sort I’ll end up practising tomorrow and get my reverse spins and whisky’s and japaneses in one hell of a mess as usual!

Spotherisk

Visit site
Happy birthday to me!

Yesterday’s training went very well, I got the German right on only the second go which is a miracle. I tend to stop moving, or not get moving quickly enough once the dog has committed, I need to sharpen up. Started Couch to 5k again yesterday with running club.
IMG_1489.jpeg

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Excellent birthday present!

I still stutter on Germans with the large one, having 31kg of extremely motivated GSD jumping straight at you gives me the fear.

She did indeed come into season last week so had to cancel Sam for her. Small dog had a fantastic session though, we worked heavily on layering and got some serious distance. After the disaster that was KCI I needed the reminder that he's actually a very confident and capable dog with super skills when he's not being a sex pest

Last camping show of the year this weekend and the forecast says it'll be 3 degrees one night. 😨

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I've managed to get a place on the 4 day agility club instructors seminar at the end of Oct.
It's not cheap but hopefully a good investment.
I also discovered today that Arthur has qualified for another event at the a4a grand finals. So he's now in the norton steeplechase showcase as well as the Treateria Grand Prix. Last year we were in the novice events, this time we're in with the big boys 😱

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Weather looks good for the rest of the weekend but I will admit to chickening out of camping last night and doing the M6 run at 6am this morning instead. There was frost on the ground 🥶

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Weather looks good for the rest of the weekend but I will admit to chickening out of camping last night and doing the M6 run at 6am this morning instead. There was frost on the ground 🥶
I don't blame you. Was bitterly cold last night. I am only just over the hill from Onley so thankfully not far to go. How is the new field working out? Bit closer than the usual one. I assume you are in the small 5-7, how is it going?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
It seems fine, drained well after yesterday and the surface in the rings is spot on. It’s much closer to the bar 😂

Little sod missed his dog walk contact in both agility runs but still came 4th in one with the 5f (the weave entry filtered everyone else out), unplaced clear in jumping.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Glad the field seems to be ok. I did like the other one but will be glad not to have that long bumpy drive to negotiate. Hope tomorrow is a more successful day for you. I am just hoping to avoid E's.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Nice trip out today. Pup had a nice clear in the jumping but totally distracted in the agility for an E. 🙄 On the plus side she nailed her contacts. Pebs well was so good. Perfect on all contacts for 2 unplaced seconds.

Really felt for my friend. She was joint first so they had a run off. Because she got E she was then completely eliminated so lost her second place. I understand it is KC rules but can't see it is fair? I mean had both dogs been Ed then the 3rd place dog would win which seems wrong?

Jenko109

Visit site
Really felt for my friend. She was joint first so they had a run off. Because she got E she was then completely eliminated so lost her second place. I understand it is KC rules but can't see it is fair? I mean had both dogs been Ed then the 3rd place dog would win which seems wrong?

Was unaware of this.

That's mental.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Bit of a disappointing day today . Zig qualified for a final on points from 2 clubs through the season (A4A) . I’ve got my daughters dogs, one a 4 month old pup , for weekend so rather than go all day planned to follow classs in line and aim for a couple of runs then final , but system crashed so no updates . I went for about 2pm with no idea where they’d be up to , they were running late so got runs in gamblers , which he won , and 2nd in steeplechase . But finals hadn’t started at 5 and with about 50 dogs before us I had to withdraw to get back to the dogs . I’ll just tell myself he would have won 😉

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Very pleased with my Maddie today at Southam. Started with an E which is par for the course then just 10 faults in C1-4 Jumping, followed by a clear in G1-3 Jumping which gained her a 2nd place. Finished with a cracking run in the C1-2 Agility, some lovely distance work and just clipped the last jump, my fault shouldn't have slowed up. Judge was very complimentary which meant a lot. Unplaced 4th in that. Fingers crossed we both still have enough energy for tomorrow.
Only downside was my car refusing to start to go home and needing a jump start from my friend, thank goodness she was there.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Three clears today and a 5th, courses a bit fast and furious rather than handle-y unfortunately. Seems to have sorted his dog walk out at least.
My friend and I were talking yesterday about courses mostly seem to be aimed more at speed than handling. Really doesn't favour the shorter striding dogs at all or the slower handlers. I think I saw you queuing up in Ring 5 yesterday, I was in the next ring.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I went clear in ring 5 so that’s ok. 😂

Finally got a lovely handley course this morning and he missed the pissing dog walk again.
I went clear in ring 5 as well, G1-3 and came 2nd. Nice course for us. Good day today as well despite 3 E's, one totally my fault as I got lost in the middle of the steeplechase and missed a jump out. Maddie did some really good long distance work in all her classes and had another 2nd in G1-2 Jumping so all in all a good weekend. Just hope we can keep it up for Iconix next Sunday.

Bad luck over the dog walk, Maddie's contacts can be very hit or miss too. Major plus she didn't break one start or miss any weaves, usually our weak spots.